Jumping up 'stairs' from screen to screen - always wallswimming?

• 29 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I'm new, will introduce myself properly soon (and post a Big Post of Thanks to all the brilliant level designers and tileset designers here, first and foremost Nifflas, of course; you saved my sanity during the process of finishing uni), but I'm posting from work today with little time and an urgent question, so, without further ado:

When you build a simple 'stair', i.e., just place tiles in an ascending diagonal so that Juni can jump up from tile to tile even when she doesn't have a highjump and/or double-jump  upgrade [ETA: nor the climb upgrade] yet, and you build this stair to reach into an upper screen from a lower one - is there a known bug or something that causes a practically inescapable wallswim when you (try to) pass from the lower screen to the upper screen by hopping on the next block/tile? Or am I doing something wrong? Because every time I try to build such a stair, I get a wallswim.  And I'd really like upgrade-less Juni to be able to reach an 'upper floor'... (Of course, I could always do it via a shift, but that's kind of... inelegant...)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 20:34:48 by Hmpf »

What happens is there's a stair tile on the lower screen that isn't in the same position on the other. Unfortunately, to go up a screen, you need high jump, climb, double jump, or a shift.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Okay. *sad*

Well, then, the first part of my level will have to take place on just one 'floor' then. Or I could just give Juni the climb or jump upgrade somewhere earlier. Hmm. Things to ponder...

Thanks for the swift reply!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
I would like to add - even though I'm going to do a proper 'Thanks' post later - @Nifflas, in case you're lurking: I think the KS editor is one of the greatest toys I ever had the pleasure to discover. It gives me the kind of joy Lego and comparable toys gave me as a kid, only kind of magnified by the power of ten or so. I anticipate years of fun! Thank you!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Can't you make "half" tiles?

...see the attachment for a very quick test. the rightmost block is then combined of a half one at the top of the 24*"24 grid and a half one at the bottom of one of the 24*24 grid tiles on the next screen, which prevents wallswim, as far as I can see. (sorry, garbled explanation)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 20:47:38 by Miss Paula »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
I can't, for the moment, make tiles myself. No graphics program, no experience with making digital graphics, and, to top it off, no internet access except at work. This latter situation will soon change, though. And I suppose I *could* manage to hack a tile in two on my proper computer once I have access to it again...)

But, it would mean changing the - downloaded, public - tileset(s) I'm using... I'm not sure if that would be okay?

Also... would this really change anything about the problem of jumping across the screen border?

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Okay, I'll take your word for it preventing the wallswim. Sorry, didn't read properly at first - as I said, I'm at work and in a hurry. In fact, I have to leave now, but thanks for all the suggestions so far... I'll definitely experiment with the half-tile thing when I'm back on my 'real' computer...

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Paula's suggestion will work indeed. For another way to do this, see my level LPChip - Learning to Jump, which has the same disability, but I cover with it using diagonal slopes placed in such way that you won't get a wallswim.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
you can also use diagonal tiles to make a diagonal slope (LPChip, sorry if this is what you meant). most tilesets don't have those, but you can use the diagonal tiles in bank 17, invisible.
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
you can also use diagonal tiles to make a diagonal slope (LPChip, sorry if this is what you meant). most tilesets don't have those, but you can use the diagonal tiles in bank 17, invisible.
Diagonals have a wallswim issue as well; when you pass into a room from a diagonal and onto another one, you get stuck in a wall. Or at least it did that for me when I tried it in one of my levels.

Re: Jumping up 'stairs' from screen to screen - always wallswimming?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 05:07:33 »
That's like this:

/
  /
 /
/

LPchip meant:
        /
    _|
 _|
|
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 05:23:22 »
That's like this:

/
  /
 /
/

LPchip meant:
        /
    _|
 _|
|
Ooh, sorry. My bad.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 08:48:45 »
Indeed. you can even have this:

|      _____
__|_____/_____
  |_   |______
____|

(the gray line is where the screen ends.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:17:14 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 10:11:38 »
You could also use a Spring object; it's not really an elegant way, but at least you don't need specific tiles.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Emeraldfire7

• LoZ FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 19:59:31 »
another thing that works is just a one pixel tall "line" that gos horizontally so that you can still jump onto the block but without the wallswim example:

====
             __|
         __|
_____|

Where there are two lines thats where the sreen ends on the top screen you put the one pixel line and on the bottom you put the regular corner tile

Hope i helped :P2