Meh

• 75 Replies

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
Meh
« on: June 19, 2009, 22:39:33 »
I think, for everyone's sake.  The changes made to the forum concerning "misspelled words" needs to be lifted.  This is stupid and not funny, it is annoying, and when you can not understand some posts because of it, it makes a problem. 

Sure some people forget to space OF and COURSE sometimes, sometimes people don't space AT and LEAST, but is this a crime?  I mean come on, sure, you had fun with it last night, but you should have reversed everything back to normal by now.  We cant even write the acronym for laugh out loud with out it being changed to SPR?NKELD?NKEL. 

But hey, if anything we can just make the Niff Forum into an even bigger joke, just go and replace Knytt and WaDF and other Niff names to something else, who cares any ways right?  Not the people trying to read posts seriously, no, not them OFCOURSE.
Teeeheee

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Meh
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 22:43:38 »
There's no reason to remove these. It doesn't totally replace such typos: the correct spelling is in parentheses after the joke word. Meaning will not be hindered.

As for replacing "lol", you never need to use this acronym. Just use a smiley, srsly.
good bye

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 22:46:56 »
LOL, the Goog is funny.  I guess we are just not allowed to use LOL because it needs to be censored.  Maybe I dont want to express myself in a smiley, maybe I want to express myself in LOL.  But I guess I dont have the right to this here at this forum anymore.  I guess we have lost the right to misspell words also.  Hmm, that is too bad, *snaps fingers*
Teeeheee

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 22:51:27 »
You know, some forums will give you a ban for excessive misspelling. I think this is a relatively laid back way of slowing the further butchering of the English language.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 22:53:48 »
No really. You can still say "I'm laughing" or "rofl" or "lulz" or whatever. Replacing an overused acronym (with many substitutes available) with a nonce word does not significantly limit freedom of speech.
good bye

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 22:55:05 »
I dont think those forums change the words to something random.  Fine, ban someone for saying OFCOURSE and POTATO (at least), but dont change what they wrote unless you are fixing it, they could have as easily used OF COURSE instead of BANANA or whatever they used, then BAM, fixed, but nope, random words to make it cryptic.

LOL, there is the Goog with a witty retort!  But alas, good sir, it doesn't help.  I'm pretty sure new users would have NO CLUE what any of that meant, "Oh, I went to the store yesterday and found a mouse, SPRÜNKELDÜNKEL."

Yep, that seems like you are fixing a lot of nothing m'friend!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 22:57:14 by EarthBound015 »
Teeeheee

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 22:56:19 »
I think this is a lovely way to show that you don't have anything better to do. Replacing words for fun. So instead of doing something constructive to the forum, they instead made it a joke. I don't like jokes. This forum has been getting worse and worse, ever since the crash, and it's already set in stone that it won't get better.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 22:58:15 »
Of course the term is overused, but people use my name every day, does that mean I should change it to SPRÜNKELDÜNKEL?

EDIT:  Better yet, why not change the word "the"  That word is used WAAAAY too much...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 23:00:14 by EarthBound015 »
Teeeheee

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 23:01:52 »
"The" has no reasonable substitutes.
good bye

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 23:02:39 »
"the" has already been changed to "teh"

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 23:03:05 »
Sure it does, Goog, just use "stupid".  I think that works perfect, oh hell, how about "DIDDLYDOOODAHDAYHAYEBBBBBBERRRRRR"?  
Teeeheee

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 23:03:51 »
EB, I don't think the changes are necessarily cryptic, but more sardonic :P  Also, I believe "lol" is replaced because, as with other of the censored words, it has a rather unintelligent connotation.

BloxMaster, that is part of why I find the changes so amusing 9_9  The other part would probably be the headaches I get from seeing frequent misspellings and use of "lol" :/

Invader Dib, "SPRÜNKELDÜNKEL", in my opinion conveys the feeling which "lol" is meant to convey, but through amusing looks and sounds rather than through expansion and interpretation of an acronym.

Evil, 9_9
o__  o

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 23:05:11 »
Sure it does, Goog, just use "stupid".  I think that works perfect, oh hell, how about "DIDDLYDOOODAHDAYHAYEBBBBBBERRRRRR"? 

No. Reductio ad absurdum doesn't go anywhere. The loss of the use of the word "lol" is simply not comparable to the loss of the use of the word "the".
good bye

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 23:06:01 »
Spoiler: Sorry MrMonkey! (click to show/hide)

Who knows, replacing "the" with "stupid" might work out.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 23:07:40 »
Evil, it completely changes the meaning. The other changes Paula made preserve meaning.
o__  o