Knytt Cave Stories

• 30 Replies

Offline AhhCobras

• We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
    • View Profile
Knytt Cave Stories
« on: June 18, 2009, 20:26:13 »
Hey, before I get to into it I just wanted to make sure this is okay and hasn't been done yet. I looked but couldn't find one anywhere. Anyway, to celebrate the hopefully soon release of Cave Story for Wiiware, I have started a Knytt Stories level of the first cave. So far just the first room though. I saw a level remade from Zelda so don't think it's a problem, of course I will be crediting Pixel in it as I am basically resizing the tiles from screenshots. I'll post a picture of the first room here, but if anyone thinks there is a problem with using it, it is still freeware at the moment, let me know.

Simply start at the beginning, go on till you reach the end.... then stop.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Knytt Cave Stories
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 20:30:36 »
Historically, Pixel has been totally fine with fan projects like this, so it'd be perfectly fine. Of course, since Nicalis got control of Cave Story, they've inexplicably forced fan projects like this to be shut down. (eg, Indie Brawl, I believe a fan port to DS, etc.) So you should probably check with them first.
good bye

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 20:32:12 »
Indie Brawl shut down?

:ohnoes:

Anyway, you should check with Nicalis, like goog said.

Offline AhhCobras

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 20:37:15 »
Ok, I'll check over there. Good thing I just signed up for their forum too :P

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 21:43:40 »
Ooh...I hope they allow it. That's one of my favorite indie games! (my favorite ATM being Iji)

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 09:51:04 »
It looks nice

Offline AhhCobras

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:56:14 »
It looks nice
Why thank you! I haven't heard anything official on the Nicalis forums, but a couple people have said they don't see any reason it couldn't be released. As I stated there, and here, it's still in the very early of the first cave so I'll keep it up and as long as I'm not told I need to stop, I hope it will be done in a few days. At least up through Mimiga village.

Also I noticed I didn't put a descriptive bracket ahead of the name, but right now it will be mostly just environmental, even the water won't hurt you. If it works out, and I am still inspired, I may use the tilesets to make some new caves. Huzzah! for now.

Offline AhhCobras

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 02:02:44 »
Probably should have said something like, beta test or whatever, but the first cave is up on the levels archive. Couldn't be creative enough, so it's just called Juni's Cave Story. Still only the first cave, but I wanted to get some feedback on how its done. Should I add enemies? Should I make the platforming harder/easier? Stuff like that, hope you guys can help me out, thanks!

BTW it is very short, so just keep that in mind. The cutscenes are probably about as long as the gameplay X-P

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:50:13 »
the screen looks promising  :D

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 08:50:47 »
Indie Brawl shut down?

:ohnoes:

Anyway, you should check with Nicalis, like goog said.

acctually i think it is just curly, balrog and "the robot" (no spoilers) that have been left out.
its still going! C)

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 22:54:55 »
[mod]I'm really sorry that you had to clear my message as I was back-seat moderating. While I pointed out something in the Official Forum Rules, I should've seen that I had to report the post instead.[/mod]

EDIT: sorry, I should have remembered that :oops:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 23:13:22 by TechnoGeek »
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline AhhCobras

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 20:10:02 »
So most of the area around Mimiga village is done, but I was wondering, is there another place I can upload the level for testing temporarily? I don't think there's a way to delete the levels from the level archive, and I don't want to fill it up with three or four different beta versions of the level. And on the subject, would anyone like to test it for me?  :)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 20:49:42 »
...I was wondering, is there another place I can upload the level for testing temporarily?
I highly recommend Box.net. It's easy to use, and free accounts get about 1G of space. It let's you make folders, too, so it's really easy to organize stuff. C) (Sorry for sounding like a billboard :P)

Offline AhhCobras

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 18:39:14 »
Allright, thanks I'll try that. It will let people download from there without being added as contacts though right?

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 19:07:43 »
Allright, thanks I'll try that. It will let people download from there without being added as contacts though right?
You can give people links to files without them being able to upload files to your account. Is that what you mean?