[Challenge - Very Hard] - Lament - James Vaughan

• 32 Replies

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
[Challenge - Very Hard] - Lament - James Vaughan
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:29:23 »
Alright, SO, I've been secretly working on this since the news about DV not being around anymore.  This is to show you what was being worked on, the first area was complete, after the first area things just go by really fast as I wanted to use as much stuff as I could to showcase what was given to me to use.  Everything is available unless the creators say otherwise, I don't mind it now that the level is released and I don't think any of the creator's will have any qualms about it either, but you may want to ask them first, or maybe they can post here to let you know it is indeed alright.  Also, this is not just a KSA level, it can be used in KSA for different effects, but it is totally playable in regular KS :D .

(Disclaimer:  Do not think of this as DV at all, that is why the name was changed to Lament.  It features no voice acting and has no relevance to the DV plot at all, so just think of this as a stand alone level.)

Let me know what you think of how everything turned out.  Also, there is a secret somewhere.  It isn't very hard to find and I will let you know it is in the final area of the level, but that is all :D

Also, I have made a commentary kind of track about DV, it is about 20 minutes long and goes into a BIT of detail about DV, you'll have to excuse the huge amount of "Umms" but I was nervous and was try to recall a lot right there on the spot.  If anyone is interested in that, let me know and I will upload and post that up. 

I want to thank all of you for everything you have ever and will ever do for me! 

And this is officially James Vaughan's last Knytt Stories level to ever be made :O .  I hope you enjoy it!

Mediafire Download of Lament
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:37:36 by EarthBound015 »
Teeeheee

Offline Evil

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge - Very Hard] - Lament - James Vaughan
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:32:54 »
ooh those are very neat save spots you got there

the level gets creepier as you go on D:

and yay! one of my screenies were used!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:46:31 by Evil »

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:37:29 »
I must say, though, there are two secret areas.  One was intended to be very secret, but in the process of eliminating a bug, it was exposed a bit more. :/

So, to ease any confusion which may be encountered, say, finding one secret, and not the other, I am spoiling this little fact.  I hope the EB does not mind. :P
o__  o

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:52:33 »
Very good. Very atmospheric. The level is shot through with a feeling of lost-ness and loss.

Also: wallswim. See attachment.

And this is officially James Vaughan's last Knytt Stories level to ever be made :O .  I hope you enjoy it!

You say this now. 9_9
good bye

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:08:07 »
you had me with the name ;)
gotta try this

*downloads*

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 14:31:20 »
Hmmmm I must have missed the news about DV not being around anymore....downloading now...and done for now. Going to go back and play this one again fer sure.

The music lends so much to the atmosphere. loved it. especially
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Found two endings. I'm assuming the one is a secret. Found the other secret too. Good to see "him" back too. LOL

Your last level? What a shame. I recently rediscovered Scarlet Tears. That is amazing as well. Thanks for all your hard work.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 16:03:53 by lamarblake »

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 21:39:17 »
I am glad to see all the positive reports :D 

Thanks for the wallswim report, Goog and I'm glad you could get those feeligns out of this level, I've done my job right XD

Evil, indeed, I enjoyed that picture you made, looks really good :D

Lamarblake, I wanted to be sure to find the best music I could find for DV in general, the music for the "hell area ( XD ) "  was chosen even before I began work on Chapter One :P Music was my first and foremost goal to accomplish, and from what I've read, I did a good job with :D .  The horror theme was going to play more of a role also, kind of makes me sad that I wont be doing DV anymore, I would have loved the voice acting of the horror parts.

Also!  Monkey!  :O Thanks for saying that, I was tired as heck last night and forgot to mention the fact of there being two secrets XD

You say this now. 9_9

I know I said this when I got done with Scarlet Tears, well, I didn't exactly say it was my last level, but I did say I didn't have any inspiration for any other levels that I thought it would be my last, but I found more inspiration.  But I do believe that this is my last level ever.  I just dont want to do it anymore is a great reason that this will be my last, and also, I'll be having a family to take care of, sure, I'll have time to work on levels and stuff, but I dont want to, if anything, I'll be working on some movies and stuff to put up on YouTube :P .
Teeeheee

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 23:36:51 »
*sigh* I can't get past that tunnel with all the guys on the ceiling and floor shooting glowing orbs out of their mouths at the beginning.

EDIT: Never mind. Got it.
EDIT2: Ok. The far left of the red region, that place where you loop endlessly falling, you can void by double jumping off the top of the screen.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 23:48:33 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline Lucifuga

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 23:54:52 »
This one is neat.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 00:06:50 by Lucifuga »

Offline Teper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 00:06:37 »
Great level. I loved the music, and it's got very smart graphic effects
The lack of plot is an advantage to the level here, and the title is perfect. Thanks for this level.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 00:53:37 »
I will be uploading a bug fix soon.  Maybe I'll wait and see if there are anymore before I fix these, dont wanna have to keep uploading over and over XD
Teeeheee

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 01:12:33 »
Is it just me, or is this very short compared to others?

EDIT: Another void.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:24:21 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 01:22:56 »
Well, it isn't a finished work by any means, well, it is finished, but not to the standards of what I look for in a finished level.  After the first part, the darkness place, everything was just thrown together in a few hours.  The onyl parts that I did hard work on were the first area and then the secret.  I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on it, just wanted to get it out there to you guys so you could see what the next Chapter would have started off as.  I worked my arse off on the secret area, I wanted something cool with something a little extra in the level.  I would have made it longer, but, I would have lost interest and stopped working on it for a while as I have other stuff to deal with anyways :P  So I wanted to just piece it together and send it on it's way.  The level itself only has I think 256 screens.  And some of those are just copies of other screens. 
Teeeheee

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 01:31:38 »
w00t! I found the secret. Shame I can't play it right now. :(
Lurk more.

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 22:13:55 »
I have a quick question!  When you go into the secret area, which tileset do you see?  Is it the tutorial tileset, or something else?  I have had someone come to me and say they see the tutorial tileset, if that is indeed what you see, then we have a problem :O
Teeeheee