[WIP 2D Platformer] Renegade Lightbulb Mechanic

• 15 Replies

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
[WIP 2D Platformer] Renegade Lightbulb Mechanic
« on: June 15, 2009, 14:28:25 »
I discovered Construct through whoever first mentioned it on this forum (I have a feeling it was Goog) and seeing as it's FREE, I decided to work on a project I've been planning to make for some time.

The basic premise is that you are RLM (a Renegade Lightbulb who decides to become a Mechanic, hence the title). You unscrew yourself from your bulb socket and roam the machineworld wasteland looking for a meaning to your fragile, light-emitting life.

It will be a 2D platformer, focused largely on exploration (plenty of easter eggs to find) with a few basic puzzles thrown in. I don't want to make it too difficult, but then again, if it's too easy it will have to be massive to have some form of longevity. So, I suppose I'm seeking some sort of middle-ground.

Powerups will include the following:

• Wires (which wrap around the bulb-torso and act as arms) - allowing you to pick up / move objects
  • The trusty spanner (or 'wrench') - allowing you to manipulate / fix machinery
  • Battery pack - allowing you to either electrocute things (enemies), or recharge powered-down machinery

Perhaps there will be others. This is still in a very basic stage, as I?m still working on the platform engine and have only very basic sprites and animations completed.

16.06.09 UPDATE: Updated version of the main character's walk cycle. Miss Paula pointed out my laziness, so I've adjusted the background to be a more respectable speed. Now with Frame-counter!

01.31.10 UPDATE: Renegade Lightbulb Mechanic is on temporary-permanent hold. Yes, that is possible. Aside from pausing to learn Construct more, my computer overheated and fried itself (09.09) so most work was lost. The concept is still alive and will (perhaps sooner rather than later) be resurrected. Perhaps to take on a fresher form. Expect topic to bumped when this happens.

This should give you a general feel for the mood and colour scheme. Needless to say it will feature delicious pixel art!

Visit the RLM Homepage / Blog.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 14:16:10 by utherdoul »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: [WIP 2D Platformer] Renegade Lightbulb Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 14:36:32 »
Perhaps you can break the Swedish monopoly on awesome indie platformers.

(No seriously. Nifflas, Erik Sved?ng, Cactus, Daniel Remar, Joakim Sandberg, et al. are all Swedes.)
good bye

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 14:49:05 »
Heh, yeah I noticed that. Well, I've only ever created incomplete games, so I'll give this all I've got!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 15:50:06 »
It sounds really cool, concept-wise and idea-concerning and all, and the pixel art I've seen from you is also great. :D

I just kinda feel that the background moves too quickly in relation to the guy's perceived walking speed...but yeah, that might be just me.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 15:54:06 »
No, I totally agree. I was actually being a bit lazy when it came to the av - I wanted the background to scroll round once for the 12 frames of walk-cycle and that made it loop too fast. The important thing was that it looped exactly (I don't like sticky loops).

You could pretend he's walking in extremely small circles...That's what I tell myself! :shifty:

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 15:58:43 »
ok, that works awesomely. C)p
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 18:59:23 »
Hooray, I knew it would be a video game. XD

I eagerly await the completion of this project. :3
grao!

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 23:25:42 »
I'm confused, have you actually started the game? Or are you just writing down the concept ideas you have for it?

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 23:29:27 »
This looks really cool! Construct FTW  X)

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 07:28:31 »
I'm confused, have you actually started the game? Or are you just writing down the concept ideas you have for it?
I am working on it. I thought that much was fairly obvious. Sorry, that was unnecessarily inflammatory.

Anyway, a slight update: RLM (the main character's uninspired name) now has several animations completed. These include:
  • Walk cycles
  • Run cycles
  • Jump and fall animations
  • Idle animation (but I'm unsure how to implement it)
  • Basic (read: unfinished) 'Wire Arms power-up' collection animation (actually this animation is unnecessarily complicated, but it should look nice when it's done)

Three animated power-up icons are completed, too:
  • Run power-up
  • Wire Arms power-up
  • Spanner power-up

I'm currently working on a couple of 'enemies', too... I'll post sample animations of some of these soon.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 13:52:54 by utherdoul »

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 09:13:09 »
This looks really cool! Construct FTW  X)
Ditto i really cant wait till this is out!

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 15:30:34 »
You could use the idle animation when you stand in one place for too long.

Offline utherdoul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 13:09:19 »
Aye, that was the plan, but I'm not 100% sure how to make an event for idle animations...

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 15:48:27 »
Here's one:

If RLM is not walking:   Start Timer (Idle countdown)
                   On Timer Fired:  Set animation to Idle