never mind

• 9 Replies
never mind
« on: June 11, 2009, 15:49:24 »
You guys don't notice the obvious about this tileset, and while you hate this one, you don't hate any others that are like it.

Tileset deleted.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 08:44:07 by youffle214 »

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
Re: My KS tilesets
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 22:09:53 »
The 3rd layer ground tiles are broken. The trees looks horrible. Most things are just there to fill in.
I hope you take more time on your tilesets in the future and they might not turn out as bad as this.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 22:37:13 »
It's organized fairly well, though.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 22:49:01 »
Looks pretty good, actually. Just have to fix the ground.
Lurk more.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 02:00:09 »
Can't be bothered to write up my usual softened, tactful critique.  I'm going to be blunt, like Salmoneous.
First off, MS Paint has got to go!  Switch to either Paint.NET or The GIMP.  Both are free, both are easy to learn and use, and both are far, far superior to MS Paint.  The GIMP is much more powerful, but you might prefer Paint.NET if you have an exceptionally slow computer.

Problems:
1. The ground colors aren't chosen too badly, but the "X" pattern looks very bad.  Use more intricate patterns, or at least thicken the lines and make sure the pattern is the same on every tile (as is, the ground will look even worse than it already does if it's made into anything other than a 3x3 square).
2. The contrast in the background tiles is extremely high, making it look very ugly.  Background tiles need lower contrast, not higher.
3. The tree leaves are single-color chunks made with the spraypaint tool.  TREES ARE NOT THAT SIMPLE, INFIDEL.  THOU SHALT SPEND MANY MINUTES ON THY TREES, CAREFULLY SHADING AND SHAPING THEM, SUCH AS TO MAKE THEM LOOKETH LESS LIKE CRAP.
4. The trunks on the trees at the top are all right (though they'd look better with some slight shading) but the trees at the bottom left have very oddly shaped, thoroughly unnatural-looking trunks.
5. The bright green grass is too thick and a little too bright in color.
6. The darker grass is too scribbly.  It looks more like moss than grass.
7. The pillars are very ugly.  Their bodies are too thin for their wide bases, and their edges are far too sharp; they need a bit more shading and detail, and also a duller color.
8. Looks like you've added two tiles that are an attempt at making semitransparent tiles.  This is one of the biggest arguments against MS Paint; it has no transparency capability whatsoever.  Again, switch to something else.
9. The windows in the background, in addition to being too contrasted to the background tiles and being way too bright in the first place, are oddly shaped.  It is difficult to tell that they're supposed to be windows.
10. What's the little white star thing for?
11. The buds on the plants need to be more consistent, and probably need to be smaller, too.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:03:22 »
You guys are so mean. This is probably only a first try.
Lurk more.

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 07:38:16 »
It's called constructive criticism.

If we only said good stuff about it then his second tileset would look kinda the same. But with these comments (hopefully) his second tileset would look more better  :)

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 10:54:57 »
It's called constructive criticism.

If we only said good stuff about it then his second tileset would look kinda the same. But with these comments (hopefully) his second tileset would look more better  :)
Or maybe he will be discouraged and go do something else?
I agree with pineapple...

This criticism could be presented in a nicer way.  <_<

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 16:04:23 »

First off, MS Paint has got to go! 

wrong. mspaint is the best. its just the truth  :). i use it, and so does ol' salmon over there. what program you choose isnt really gonna change the quality of what you make. you just need to spend more time on it, and test what you make before you post it.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 16:17:24 »
As a rule, there's not really anything Paint can do that a program like GIMP cannot do. The most important thing Paint can't do is transparency, so everything done in Paint is going to have a hard edge. But, it is true that the skill and effort of the user is ultimately more important to the end result than the program used.

Anyway. This tileset is exceedingly generic. The ground tiles will not fit together well (that is, the pattern on them does not tile consistently).  The solid colors without any sort of shading or anything look very flat and uninteresting. Especially the grass- in use in a level, it'd look like a cardboard cutout of a vague grass shape, painted green.
good bye