[Lunatic] [Challenge] MW's 'Unbeatable' Level

• 31 Replies
Re: [Lunatic] [Challenge] MW's 'Unbeatable' Level
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 22:47:47 »

Made it up to the first room in the castle, but then I had a good hard look at myself and stopped playing.

Playing difficult levels for the sake of completing them seems rather hollow to me. Although I think the hardcore Knytt players (you know, those that keep insisting to the designer a level labelled hard is actually easy) should have a ball with this one.

For the most part decent and interesting combinations of challenges. Personally though I hold the view that if you're going to put the player through a hard time at least supplement it with consistent ambience/music and proper backdrops.

I admit I'm pretty bad when it comes to story lines- but I know there are people that like to complete challenges just for the sake of completing them- various games have sidequests like that and are not much related to a story at all.

I was considering the same music in most cases but the music tends to halt very easily as it does not repeat itself- and a game with no music I find much less exciting compared to a game with various music. The same went with the backgrounds- one background throughout the game is good, but various ones seem to make it less dull for me.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 00:41:11 »
To make music repeat, resave it as ambiance, then use it as ambiance, instead (don't replace standard ambiances, though, and save the ambiance in you world folder).
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 00:49:00 »
To make music repeat, resave it as ambiance, then use it as ambiance, instead (don't replace standard ambiances, though, and save the ambiance in you world folder).
Really? I had no idea. I'm still sort of new to the whole level making- this is only my 3rd one actually.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 01:06:55 »
That's ok... I figured it out only recently, and just thought I would spread the word. One problem, though, is that it does make the file size bigger...
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 13:10:04 »
It got soooooo hard I gave up...

And I was even using the cheats!  :moody:  <_<

Offline Lucifuga

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 16:25:14 »
I beat it!
Wow. I'm impressed. You made it hard, but not in a cheap way.
Great level design.
Really....Heh...It wasn't THAT hard....

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 21:56:49 »
I beat it!
Wow. I'm impressed. You made it hard, but not in a cheap way.
Great level design.
Really....Heh...It wasn't THAT hard....
No, it wasn't. But just try the REAL Advanced version.
Lurk more.

Offline Lucifuga

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 22:31:07 »
The REAL Advanced version being the one without save points? No thanks. That doesn't make it harder, all it does is making the level less fun to play.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 02:13:49 »
I couldn't get past the first 2 challenges there. :P
Lurk more.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 02:17:22 »
The REAL Advanced version being the one without save points? No thanks. That doesn't make it harder, all it does is making the level less fun to play.
I figured the 'absolute extreme' people would find something to do with trying to beat it. I know there are people that like challenges like that where they try to get through something without saving even once which is where the idea came from- in retrospect it isn't fun for most people though, but that's why there's the version with a lot of save points.
(PS: I can't even beat the version with no save points...but I imagine someone out there will one day do it.)

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 02:19:11 »
Let's think.. assume it's only three tries a challenge. That's already 59049 tries for the first ten challenges.
Lurk more.

Offline Lucifuga

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 13:10:46 »
I figured the 'absolute extreme' people would find something to do with trying to beat it. I know there are people that like challenges like that where they try to get through something without saving even once which is where the idea came from- in retrospect it isn't fun for most people though, but that's why there's the version with a lot of save points.
(PS: I can't even beat the version with no save points...but I imagine someone out there will one day do it.)
I love challenges, I do, but only if they are fun to do.
Here's an idea:
Let's say...You have 1000 points.
Run through the level. When you die, that's minus 5 point. If you use a save point, 10 points off.
Try to finish it as fast as possible while keeping your points up.

I think I'll try it...Someday.

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 01:27:45 »
I love challenges, I do, but only if they are fun to do.
Here's an idea:
Let's say...You have 1000 points.
Run through the level. When you die, that's minus 5 point. If you use a save point, 10 points off.
Try to finish it as fast as possible while keeping your points up.

I think I'll try it...Someday.
That is actually a pretty nice idea- if I can learn more about the game maybe I can figure out how to put things like that in.

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 01:34:23 »
Mess with the source, first. :P
Lurk more.

Offline Lucifuga

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 02:58:12 »
..Or you could add 999 extra lives, a time limit and cookies as a reward for completing the challenge.