[Environmental] Outer Reaches

• 85 Replies
Re: [Environmental] Outer Reaches
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2009, 19:54:38 »
Final area is done! XD Now I'm just waiting for wako-kun's reply and Dynamites' CO!
I don't think I've ever seen that tileset in a level besides Afar.
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2009, 04:01:04 »
Wako-kun still hasn't replied...I've now sent him/her/it an email in hopes that he/her/it'll respond to that. (I hate the gender-confusion problems on forums... <_<) If I don't get a response in about a week or so, I'll just have to cut the modifications out of the tileset and start rolling anyway. It's just been too long at this point. :/

So! Beta testing will begin in a week. I'll give you a screen to tide you over until then. ;)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2009, 20:40:15 »
On the whole, I really like the look of this, and it's on the list of levels I'm looking forward to a lot! One small criticism - although it's probably too late, as this level is finished or near-finished; but maybe it will be helpful in future levels: I think you have a tendency to space things a bit too evenly. The trees in the forest, the huts on the beach, etc. Perhaps I notice this particularly strongly because I have the same tendency and I'm fighting it all the time... :-) Humans have an innate liking for symmetry, which is why, when we create things, they tend to end up symmetrical, with elements spaced evenly and so on. But too much symmetry tends to be visually boring, so you need to mix things up a bit, occasionally... (I just finished 'de-symmetrifying' a rat-infested temple I'd built...)

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 20:45:29 »
Nice, I like the use of original knytt tilesets.  XD
[achvmnt]VkVSMDIAAAAAAACBgIAAAAAAAAAA[/achvmnt]

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 23:30:52 »
I'm pretty sure that's not default KS tilesets. I even recognize those pillars from one of Pip's tilesets.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2009, 23:36:08 »
He means tilesets from the game Knytt.

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2009, 00:20:04 »
One small criticism - although it's probably too late, as this level is finished or near-finished; but maybe it will be helpful in future levels: I think you have a tendency to space things a bit too evenly. The trees in the forest, the huts on the beach, etc.
Yeah, you're right about that. My trees do seem spaced a bit too far (you can blame the tileset I used with its small tree trunks and 3x3 tree tops for that much). As for the huts, they were technically built by people, so I'd think they would be spaced somewhat evenly. But thanks for the advice! It's appreciated. :)
Nice, I like the use of original knytt tilesets.  XD
Thanks! :D
I'm pretty sure that's not default KS tilesets. I even recognize those pillars from one of Pip's tilesets.
Actually, a lot of this level was made using the default tilesets! But you are right about Pip's tileset (specifically, his "Girders" tileset).

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2009, 00:08:56 »
This level is really looking good. That thing about the trees is true, though. Can't you work arround that using different layers?

Looking forward to it, anyway. :)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2009, 02:31:22 »
This level is really looking good. That thing about the trees is true, though. Can't you work arround that using different layers?
The main problem was actually with the layers, ironically enough. X-P The background trees were in layer 0, the upper treetops were in layer 1, and anything that crossed them had to be in layer 2. Fortunately, with a little creative thinking (read "difficulty"), I think I've succeeded in making them a bit more scattered.

There's something else different, too. ;)
Spoiler: Forest (click to show/hide)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2009, 02:51:49 »
Ah, a lot better. ;)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2009, 04:12:54 »
The new forest looks very natural. Is that a little custom creature on the right? C)p

Check out my tilesets!

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2009, 04:44:20 »
Ah, a lot better. ;)
Whew, looks like I got it right this time.
The new forest looks very natural. Is that a little custom creature on the right? C)p
Thanks! And yes, it is! It's also not the only one, either. :shifty:

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2009, 09:41:02 »
Aaaaaaand...we've hit the deadline I set for wako-kun's reply.

For those who came in late, the level was actually finished several days ago. I have been waiting for a reply from wako-kun about a slight modification of one of their tilesets. It's now been a week, and I have gotten no reply from either a private message or an email, so I'm just going to have to cut out the changes and start rolling. :/ However, if someone knows how to get in touch with wako-kun, I would be much obliged! I would have just put the changed tiles in a second tileset (I only used one tileset for that area. It's like it's frikkin taunting me!), but I'm not allowed to use graphics from someone else's tileset in my own. So again, if anyone knows how to get in touch with wako-kun, or can suggest a workaround, that would be great! :) Otherwise, beta testing will begin soon.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Outer Reaches BETA
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2009, 05:17:15 »
I am now taking beta testing applications! If you would like to be a beta tester, please PM me!
EDIT: All slots are filled. Wow, that was fast. O_o

Note that I reserve the right to remove and/or replace any beta tester at any time for any reason. Sorry, had to get that out of the way. :P

Wako-kun never replied to my queries, so I've had to cut out the modifications I made to the Wastelands tileset! This means that the volcano is going to look a bit more bland, as the darker wall sections in the back were part of the modifications. X)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:23:22 by pick yer poison »

Offline wako-kun

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2009, 17:28:20 »
I'm so sorry T_T

I haven't been on the forum since [long time ago]
I don't know if it's too late, but It's okay to modify how you want.

I never really thought anyone would use that set, so I haven't consederd this situation at all  :P2