[Environmental] Outer Reaches

• 85 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental] Outer Reaches
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2009, 07:47:03 »
Denser foliage
Hmmm...how's this look? Unfortunately, it's about as dense as I can manage. I'm using two tilesets in this forest, and each one is necessary. X)

You seem to have captured the essence of a dark, damp forest perfectly, so i suggest you add in some mushrooms, complete with a little pound close to that hole.
Mushrooms I think I can manage, but...what do you mean by "pound"? :huh:

As a side note, I still haven't found any good music for the secret areas. If anyone can suggest something, that would be great! (if possible, I'd like it to have the same mood as this piece of music, but I'll settle for something else if I end up having to)

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2009, 09:22:53 »
Denser foliage
Hmmm...how's this look? Unfortunately, it's about as dense as I can manage. I'm using two tilesets in this forest, and each one is necessary. X)

You seem to have captured the essence of a dark, damp forest perfectly, so i suggest you add in some mushrooms, complete with a little pound close to that hole.
Mushrooms I think I can manage, but...what do you mean by "pound"? :huh:

As a side note, I still haven't found any good music for the secret areas. If anyone can suggest something, that would be great! (if possible, I'd like it to have the same mood as this piece of music, but I'll settle for something else if I end up having to)

XD by 'pound' he means pond, its like a little lake

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2009, 17:50:48 »
Yes, pond. I seem to have captured the brittish english perfectly, putting 'u's into every simple word.

But yeah. Don't just fill that hole with water. Make it overflow a little.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2009, 18:38:51 »
Seems to be missing... flowers, or something, and knytt and fluff.
Ahah! I think that's it! I need some flowers (and some mushrooms, like OSad said :P2). OK, this is gonna take some custom objects, because I've already filled up layers 0-2 and I'm using both tileset slots. X)

XD by 'pound' he means pond, its like a little lake
Oops...wow, I can't believe I didn't manage to see that! X) Well, there is a pond (actualy it's more of a small lake :shifty:), but it's underground. Expect rain further on, though!

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2009, 18:55:57 »
Don't worry, I didn't quite get the "pound" thing either...
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2009, 06:54:55 »
Alright, here's the new version of the forest! I'm starting to think that maybe those bouncers actually detract from the "deep forest" mood I'm trying to set. Nevermind, I took another look and I think they fit the overall picture quite nicely! :)

Please excuse me for putting up so many pictures; it's only a little tiring to make a few screens, but it increases exponentially when I have to go back and fix something in every single one. So I'm trying to get this right before I make the 20+ forest screens I have planned. :P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:56:02 by pick yer poison »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2009, 18:29:43 »
Hmmm...Look at the forest area of The Terrain Deviates, a level I made. I used two different layers of background trees. It's hard to explain. Once you see it, you'll know what I mean. :P
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2009, 19:11:56 »
Hmmm...Look at the forest area of The Terrain Deviates, a level I made. I used two different layers of background trees. It's hard to explain. Once you see it, you'll know what I mean. :P
Yeah...I know what you mean now. Sadly, I think that that's a different type of forest than the one I want. I'm going for "deep forest", and the one in The Terrain Deviates seems to be more of the "thin forest" variety. :/ I did get a couple of ideas, though! :)

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 10:30:22 »
the carven is pretty good.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2009, 21:16:00 »
Alright! New screen! Again! With more exclamation points than ever before! X-P

But really, new screen. This time it's the beach suggested by Purple Pineapple! And speaking of suggestions...

I'm happy to announce that I'm nearly done with this level! C)p I still have a couple of areas to put in (and I still need to find some music for the secret areas), plus the intro and the info screen, but other than that I'm just about finished. I'm still taking user requests for areas (but this level will remain strictly environmental), and I'll probably be able to fit one or two in. I'm also waiting for wakokun to give me a yea or nay on whether I can slightly modify the Wastelands tileset, but there's nothing I can do about that. :/

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 23:27:44 »
In the second screenshot in the first post (Blue lands) do those blue trees move? Or are they still images?

Because I made a custom object of them in one of my levels and I used the same animation from the original trees. I can send you the CO if you want.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 23:40:31 »
In the second screenshot in the first post (Blue lands) do those blue trees move? Or are they still images?

Because I made a custom object of them in one of my levels and I used the same animation from the original trees. I can send you the CO if you want.
No, unfortunately they don't move. However, it would be great if I could use that CO! :D (I'll be sure to credit you)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2009, 22:46:27 »
Shameless bump. :P The info screen and the intro cutscene are done. Now I'm just waiting for a reply from wako-kun, that CO from Dynamite, and enough inspiration for one last area. Then I'll start looking for beta testers! :D

Also, all the credits are in the intro cutscene. I had too many to put on the info screen, and I there's no ending for them either. X) But rest assured, contributors are still being credited!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:16:47 by pick yer poison »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2009, 06:18:05 »
Final area is done! XD Now I'm just waiting for wako-kun's reply and Dynamites' CO!

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2009, 06:45:12 »
 :O
now to play the waiting game...