New... ball project... i guess.

• 93 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: New... ball project... i guess.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 05:07:57 »
Well, that's just the ball engine that has been implemented.

Wrong file?  :shifty:
Try holding S or A. ;)

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 07:37:11 »
I don't know much about game maker, but you might want to test in a different way or slow down pac-man, 'cause he tends to fly out at high speeds.
Lurk more.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
    • vdweller's freeware games
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 15:18:07 »
There's a GM .dll extension called GMPhysics which adds 2d physics engine capabilities in Game Maker. I once made a bouncing ball demo with this in Game Maker and worked quite well. In fact, you could do something similar to Night Game with this  :)

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 15:35:18 »
There's a GM .dll extension called GMPhysics which adds 2d physics engine capabilities in Game Maker. I once made a bouncing ball demo with this in Game Maker and worked quite well. In fact, you could do something similar to Night Game with this  :)

Physics, huh? Like in night game, where you can push stuff around and add wheels to things and they go WHEEEE? Sounds like an interesting idea.

Well, that's just the ball engine that has been implemented.

Wrong file?  :shifty:
Try holding S or A. ;)

That's great! May i steal borrow it?  8D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 15:36:57 by OSad »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 19:14:31 »
That's great! May i steal borrow it?  8D
Sure! Knock yourself out! Uploading the .gmk now. I'll upload 2 versions, since I used Pro effects to make the ball "squash" when it hits the ground. (and I don't know if you have Pro :/)

I'm keeping all the stuff I do that's related to the WaDF Engine (I'll just call it that for now) in this Box.net folder here.

P.S.: I happen to have the GMPhysics 4 extension at my disposal as well! ;) (The .dll is basically the same, but this one's easier to use in my opinion.) I haven't used it much, but I can learn as needed.

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 20:05:36 »
I'm at an impasse of using the GMphysics or not. I checked the demos, and GM struggles to draw all of the objects and keep a reasonable frame rate altogether.

It might be a good touch to give the game a more professional, modern feeling, but unless we keep it to a reasonable amount (a.k.a 2-3 objects per room), it's a no-go. I hate 2D games that struggle to keep with latest generation PC's.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 20:07:28 by OSad »

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 20:21:50 »
I have used GM Physics before, it's quite awesome but a bit limited... Also, I don't think it's even completely finished.

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 21:10:47 »
New version.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7d61b0ae157027db5e2bd628a2cb8cfde04e75f6e8ebb871

As you can play, our friend pacman didn't made it. In fact, the whole thing's re-skinned. That's because i couldn't sucessfully implement the physics engine Pick yer Poison gave me into the previous releases. So i decided to re-build the current releases on top of this one.

The whole thing is essencially the same, but i re-packed the single room into THREE new ones, so you can test the cool new S and A controls.

Speaking of rooms, new problems surge. I wasn't able to find a function that transates our blue friend between rooms dynamically (even though i have a feeling it's right in my godd :oops: face), so i had to make an outside room event with a go to next room function. There's a couple of issues with that, the biggest one being the gravity. It magically resets to 1 or something, because the ball starts to move slowly, like in previous releases. Another problem is that the ball is being 'created' again in the next room, resulting in the music starting again.

Still, it's all an advance, considering the previous releases. Actually, if someone wants to implement the physics engine on the game, tell me NOW, and i'll pass the development files. I have no idea on how to make it happen. Remember, keep it simple!

Apart from that, download, play, discuss and tell me what i did wrong.

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 21:45:03 »
I just made a new WaDF engine, it's just as accurate as pick yer poison's one, but the red and white masks look better, and it works with GM Lite. http://yuvsstuff.net/BouncingBallPhysics.gmk
If you want to, you can add it into your game.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 21:47:49 by youffle214 »

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 21:51:04 »
If only you've shown up a little sooner  :/...  I've upgraded to pro this morning.

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2009, 21:53:16 »
Anyway, the red and white masks are still improved and the squashing is more noticeable. :P2

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2009, 23:12:50 »
Phew...I leave for a few hours and stuff starts happening again! O_o

Anyway...hmm, about the Lite version youffle213 put up...seems to work quite nicely. And I do admit, the squashing IS more noticable and the masks fit better. But I just have to say this, because if this project starts getting as big as I think it might, organization will be key, and mine seems to be a lot more, well, organized. Not that it's bad! But if we all have Pro, we might just be better off starting with a concise version. :/ Regardless, it's up to what OSad chooses.

Oh yeah, and OSad:
Speaking of rooms, new problems surge. I wasn't able to find a function that transates our blue friend between rooms dynamically (even though i have a feeling it's right in my godd :oops: face), so i had to make an outside room event with a go to next room function. There's a couple of issues with that, the biggest one being the gravity. It magically resets to 1 or something, because the ball starts to move slowly, like in previous releases. Another problem is that the ball is being 'created' again in the next room, resulting in the music starting again.

Woohoo! I though of the perfect solution for that a week or two ago! Here comes the .gmk and the .exe, found in the appropriate folders here. (I'm using my engine because I have it on hand)

Press F1 for an explanation of the "multiple" room system!

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2009, 16:12:55 »
Pick yer poison, that's was a great little trick, the camera one, i mean.

However, i fail to understand how you did it, and if it brings side effects, such as the reduced window. I don't want the game running on a cellphone visor.

Also, i have pro, but what do you mean, 'concise version'? What is the meaning of love?

Many questions remain un-awnsered...  :huh:

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2009, 17:57:08 »
Pick yer poison, that's was a great little trick, the camera one, i mean.

However, i fail to understand how you did it, and if it brings side effects, such as the reduced window. I don't want the game running on a cellphone visor.

Also, i have pro, but what do you mean, 'concise version'? What is the meaning of love?

Many questions remain un-awnsered...  :huh:
Sorry, I'll explain:
Basically, all four areas are the same room. We have one view, which I made small because this was just a demo. It can be any size we want when we implement it (and it can differ from area to area). The view, in this case, is 1/4 of the enter room size. Now, in the End Step event, the ball activates every instance, then deactivates every instance not within the view (minus itself). But before that, it checks whether it is outside the view, and if so, which side it left from. Then it moves the view either left, right, up or down by a fixed amount. If the view moves left or right, this amount is its width. If it moves up or down, the amount is its height. So now we're viewing the ball in the new "room."

As for "concise," it means short. My version of the movement and "squashing" code was shorter (but worked only in Pro), whereas youffle213's version was a bit longer but worked in Lite. So I was thinking that we might want to start off with a more concise version if we all had Pro, but it was up to you to decide. I'll go along with whatever you choose.

Hope that helped! :)

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2009, 18:19:02 »
So you basically increased the size of the room, sort of turning it into a big 'stage', and made the camera focus on separate sections of this stage to give the impression that you're actually moving from room to room, but you're actually just moving on the stage?

If it's just a big level, i need to know how to increase the size of the room. That tiny level square in game maker is nothing like the level editor from knytt stories, which just went FOREVUUUUUR in all directions. Imagine the possibilities!  :crazy:

Also, a version in pro or lite doesn't really matters. After all, i'm not THAT good at game maker. Most of the work has been done by you guys!  C) Which makes me feel like a theif. (Don't worry, you're on top of the crediting list  8) )

So, yeah. I'm totally hyped for a project that i don't even know how to build! Call me Hideo Kojima the second, willya. But i totally want to do this.

Still, i have pro right now, but i can always switch back to lite. Only reason i have pro right now it's because coding language is apparently easier and the current version uses it for controls.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 18:28:46 by OSad »