New... ball project... i guess.

• 93 Replies

Offline OSad

• View Profile
New... ball project... i guess.
« on: June 08, 2009, 22:25:01 »
Right... like we don't have a hundred of those already...  <_<

Ahem~. Hello everyone. (insert shabby intro here)  X)

Well, that's quite enough about me. Recently inspired by nifflas bouncing ball games, I decide to head out and make my own. However, not on level editors, because those aren't good enough. See that I say good enough in a rather shabby manner, because I don't mean it's bad, but it's not flexibe. Let's just leave it at that.

So, I set out to find the most un-complicated game making software in the (free) market. It comes without saying that yoyo's Game Maker is an obvious choice here. Not the best choice, but i don't know any coding language (yet!).  ;)

Even so, I didn't let that de-moralize me. I made the 'Catch the Clown' test thing and found the damm program to be quite fitting for my needs. Oh, yes...

In a short spam of time (that's half an hour for you geeks  :^^:), I've built a very rough, but very playable prototype. Here it is.

http://www.2shared.com/file/6189562/7083d9b2/BALLOLOLOLOLOL.html

Download newest version down below.

I've even put a little music into it. How DASHY!  XD Credit to the guys at Tales of Games, here.

Everything you see here is game maker stuff. The pac-man sprite, the sound, the background, the terrain, game-maker a go-go.  You can also see that the gameplay is very primitive. I need to find out why the ball keeps going higher after bounces; probably an error with the gravity settings. I also need to see to the problem that the ball is launched fifty feet across the stage after bouncing through a wall. I want it to bounce one centimeter, not a hundred.

I still don't have any idea of what the story should be. That can wait a little, once I start to improve gameplay.

Speaking of which, that's one of the reasons I came here. I'm looking for someone who has some experience with this program, and possibly a little coding who wants to help me out in their free time. I want to make the gameplay somewhat resembling WaDF, with little changes of myself.

Note that i'm only willing to share the development files with those who are interested. Not the interested kind of interested. The interested kind of interested. I'm also open for new gameplay ideas, but story right now is a no-no.

So, anybody volunteers? We have pizza and cola!  :crazy:

Edit: We decided to work on WaDF 2. Here's the rules if you want to apply.

Quote from: PickYerPoison
'nother update! WaDF 2 is now on IRC! If you're planning on helping out, please meet up with us. If you have a standalone IRC client (like mIRC), type in "/server irc.esper.net" followed by "/join #WaDF2". If you're using niffchat, just type "/join #WaDF2".

Me and OSad have discussed applying, and here's what we came up with:

NOTE: The only people who will need GM Pro (or Game Maker at all, for that matter) are any programmers. Having at least the Lite version and knowing the basics is a plus, though.

Tileset, background, and music designers:
Just put something up that you think might fit, and me and OSad will judge it. We may from time to time also request a tileset, background, or piece of music that fits a specific style.

Level designers:
First and foremost: if you have an idea for a level, make sure it has a purpose, usually getting you a new ball skin. We don't want pointless levels that serve no purpose.

Also, vague ideas for levels are a big no-no. We don't want ideas; we want levels. Make at least a general map of the level, for example a black and white image file where each black pixel represents a solid wall. It will also help you to know that there are 25 rows and 20 columns of tiles in each room. Then, if/when we approve your map, you can go ahead and make a more detailed version. This is where it could come in handy to have Game Maker and a basic knowledge of it, because then you could put your level into it directly, which makes things easier for everyone.

Programmer(s):
YOU MUST HAVE GAME MAKER PRO 7 OR HIGHER TO BE A PROGRAMMER

In addition to being able to code the equivalent of every drag and drop button's function, you will also need be able to easily work with the following things:

* Views
    * Activating/deactivating instances
    * Loading resources from a file
    * All types of variables, including strings
    * Reading and writing from text files
    * Essentially all of the existing commands (except for 3D and multiplayer)

I will hopefully be making a test for would-be programmers to take, but you may apply before I publish it.

Ze team:

Vice cheif, programmer: Pick Yer Poison

Music Designers:
Razzorman

Level Designers:

Programmers:

Tileset, Background Designers:

Please note that we can have multiple people in one section. For example, if you want to volunteer for programing, but someone is already in that section, feel free to volunteer anyway. The more people we have, the faster we work.  C)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 22:20:27 by OSad »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: New... ball project... i guess.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 22:45:54 »
Screenshots, please? :awsum:
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 22:47:30 »
Screenshots? Eww. The real deal is much better.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:32:52 »
...how do I download from the 2shared site?

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 01:39:19 »
Go to the download part, find where it says "downloaded x times", look for save file to your pc. It's the little blue text above the continue button.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 01:42:30 »
Go to the download part, find where it says "downloaded x times", look for save file to your pc. It's the little blue text above the continue button.

thankyou, you have talent for spotting things

Offline Bored2death

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 01:43:31 »
Or... just a lot of patience... by the way, the game is really confusing when you start playing it.

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:44:00 »
Nevermind that version. I present you the latest one.

http://www.2shared.com/file/6192504/25db75b0/BALLOLOLOLOLOL_v02.html

I've added a couple of blips you can eat to make it more amusing to play. I've also added sprite changes (pac-man's face turns left and right) so this should not be a problem in the future.

Or... just a lot of patience... by the way, the game is really confusing when you start playing it.

The game's not supposed to be like that. It's just a testbed i'm using to polish gameplay.

Still no volunteers. Oh well.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:45:36 by OSad »

Offline Bored2death

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:45:13 »
Right after I downloaded the old version XD

Now, it won't let me download the new version...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:47:13 by Bored2death »

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 02:32:48 »
could you upload it on mediafire? it's near impossible with 2shared to download :sigh:
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 02:57:38 »
could you upload it on mediafire? it's near impossible with 2shared to download :sigh:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7d61b0ae157027db5e2bd628a2cb8cfde04e75f6e8ebb871

Mediaroll'd

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 04:23:58 »
Screenshots? Eww. The real deal is much better.
...No, screenshots are to make people want to play it. Screenshots are waht make people want to play. Would you play a video game that didn't have screenshots on the box (or anywhere else)?
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 05:13:00 »
I know GML (Game Maker Language, for coding) quite well. I'd help, but I want a clarification of "interested." I don't know if I'm really a dependable kind of guy for an ongoing coop project; I tend to work alone on my games.

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 18:01:57 »
I know GML (Game Maker Language, for coding) quite well. I'd help, but I want a clarification of "interested." I don't know if I'm really a dependable kind of guy for an ongoing coop project; I tend to work alone on my games.

I won't throw all the work on you. In fact, i just want you to help me every now and then, and you can quit anytime you like. I don't like being dependable either.  :)

So, if you don't like it, you just wasted a few minutes of your time, and not precious days or money!

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 18:44:14 »
I won't throw all the work on you. In fact, i just want you to help me every now and then, and you can quit anytime you like. I don't like being dependable either.  :)

So, if you don't like it, you just wasted a few minutes of your time, and not precious days or money!
Oh, then certainly. I'd be glad to help with coding and such! C)