New... ball project... i guess.

• 93 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: New... ball project... i guess.
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2009, 18:59:54 »
The files are on ice cream (limo) until tomorrow. (i need to study for an important test today!)
Oh, OK. That's fine. Good luck on your test! :)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2009, 06:41:11 »
Wow...no progress in quite a while. :/ Time for me to make some! C)p Introducing v1.2 of the WaDF Engine!

Changes:
  • Added part of Hahara Mountains as a playable area (actually, as THE playable area)
  • Wall size reduced to 24 to make adding the tiles in later easier
  • Ball will now only increase its speed if you're holding S/Left Shift and it hits a wall below it

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2009, 07:10:12 »
That's a wierd glitch. It got stuck.
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 17:35:17 »
That's a wierd glitch. It got stuck.
That is a weird glitch. I couldn't recreate it, though. Could you tell me exactly how it happened?

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 20:41:35 »
Let me think.. I bounced off the right wall, then the left, then froze when I was about to hit the ground.
Lurk more.

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2009, 10:53:34 »
  • Ball will now only increase its speed if you're holding S/Left Shift and it hits a wall below it
What? :huh:
Doesn't it contradict the WaDF physics? :/

EDIT: Also, I think the friction is too low.
EDIT2: The masks are still misplaced and still disappear when the ball gets squished. :/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:55:08 by youffle214 »

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009, 18:02:13 »
The ball moves slower than Yoga Ball! SUPER Yoga Ball! :nuts:

Also, the squishing and getting stuck glitch got me too, only on the ledge below. Maybe it has something to do with corners?

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2009, 18:41:38 »
It definitely has to do with corners, but hitting one straight on, as with glass ball glitch doesn't seem to work.
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 06:45:58 »
Sorry for being nonresponsive! I was in Indianapolis for a few days. Time for a wall of text! :crazy:

Only speeding up when you bounce on the ground does not violate the WaDF physics. Try running into a wall while holding S, and you'll gain no speed (I tested to make sure). You only speed up if you hit the ground while holding S/Left Shift. You lose speed while holding A/Left Control either way, though.

As for the red and white ball masks, well, I've got them working now. I had to leave the head of a dead hedgehog ball in the bed of the red mask, but I've got them working now.

As for the gravity, I've made an interesting discovery. The only balls in WaDF that actually have gravity are the glass ball :a5: and the iron ball :a3:. All the others just have pseudo-gravity, where they just sort of float down at a constant speed. So the question here is, do we cut out the gravity, or just keep going with it?

I don't know how that glitch keeps happening, but it does seem to have something to do with the corners. Also, I have discovered that you can get out of it by pressing A/Left Control.

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 15:36:50 »
Can you show me what you've made so far?

I say you should keep the gravity.

EDIT: As for the squishing/getting stuck glitch, just insert a sprite in the shape of the ball, and assign it to the ball object as a mask.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 15:39:10 by youffle214 »

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2009, 15:37:07 »
As for the gravity, I've made an interesting discovery. The only balls in WaDF that actually have gravity are the glass ball :a5: and the iron ball :a3:.
Iron ball is so heavy because of that constant gravity. Glass ball isn't supposed to be able to go that fast without breaking.
All the others just have pseudo-gravity, where they just sort of float down at a constant speed. So the question here is, do we cut out the gravity, or just keep going with it?
It's called terminal velocity.
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 22:22:45 »
Can you show me what you've made so far?

I say you should keep the gravity.

EDIT: As for the squishing/getting stuck glitch, just insert a sprite in the shape of the ball, and assign it to the ball object as a mask.
OK, gravity's staying in then. As for what I have so far, here it is. It's still a WIP, though. I know for a fact that there are still glitches, like some weird collisions with ceilings that are driving me insane. >( Oh, and I've fixed the squashing/getting stuck glitch. At least, it hasn't showed up again, so I think I've fixed it.

As for the gravity, I've made an interesting discovery. The only balls in WaDF that actually have gravity are the glass ball :a5: and the iron ball :a3:.
Iron ball is so heavy because of that constant gravity. Glass ball isn't supposed to be able to go that fast without breaking.
All the others just have pseudo-gravity, where they just sort of float down at a constant speed. So the question here is, do we cut out the gravity, or just keep going with it?
It's called terminal velocity.
I wasn't complaining about the physics of WaDF, just to clear up any confusion. I was just mentioning something that would impact this project. ;)

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2009, 21:08:30 »
That's pretty amazing. Kinda like WaDF recreated with GM7...

...except for some weird collisions with ceilings that are driving you insane. >(

:P

Also, another glitch: when you press A, the red mask also colo(u)rs the outline of the ball. This isn't supposed to happen.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2009, 21:29:27 »
Also, another glitch: when you press A, the red mask also colo(u)rs the outline of the ball. This isn't supposed to happen.
Actually, yes it should. In WaDF, S/Left Shift speeds up (and adds a white mask), and A/Left Control slows down (and adds a red mask). Unless I misinterpreted that, in which case feel free to correct me. :P

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2009, 13:27:41 »
Spoiler: Big picture ahead!!! (click to show/hide)