New... ball project... i guess.

• 93 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: New... ball project... i guess.
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 19:06:26 »
So you basically increased the size of the room, sort of turning it into a big 'stage', and made the camera focus on separate sections of this stage to give the impression that you're actually moving from room to room, but you're actually just moving on the stage?

If it's just a big level, i need to know how to increase the size of the room. That tiny level square in game maker is nothing like the level editor from knytt stories, which just went FOREVUUUUUR in all directions. Imagine the possibilities!  :crazy:
You've got it! :^^: Also, it deactivates objects outside the current screen, so that e.g. enemies on another screen won't chase/shoot at you. As for changing the room size, there are two factors. First, there's the actual size of the room itself, which you just change in the "Settings" tab of the room editor. Then there's the screen size (which is currently 320x320 or something). You can change that by changing the width and height view 0 in the "Views" tab of the room editor. For best results, try to make sure that the room width can be divided equally by the view width and the room height can be equally divided by the view height.

Still, i have pro right now, but i can always switch back to lite. Only reason i have pro right now it's because coding language is apparently easier and the current version uses it for controls.
Then I guess if youffle213 has Pro as well, we may want to go with the Pro version. If not, then the multiple areas can be implemented in Lite as well.

Actually, scratch that. I think that we probably want to go with Pro for sure, or else particle effects will be difficult to impossible, since without Pro you'd have to use actual object instances for each particles (meaning major slowdowns). :/

Oh, and my version doesn't use it for controls, it uses it for the "squash effect." Sorry about the confusion! :P

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 21:23:07 »
I seem to be able to increase the room size, but i can't see to fix the camera on one position.

Help!  :shocked:

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 21:56:12 »
I seem to be able to increase the room size, but i can't see to fix the camera on one position.

Help!  :shocked:
Do you mean the camera jerks all over the place? Or is it just not moving with the player? :huh:

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2009, 22:28:12 »
It's not staying fixed in one small area, as in your demo.  It's showing off all of the room at once.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2009, 22:58:22 »
OK...lessee...in the "Views" tab of the room editor, did you enable view 0? Also, make sure that the width and height of view 0 aren't the same dimensions as the room itself, since that's always the default.

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2009, 23:08:01 »
Then I guess if youffle213 has Pro as well, we may want to go with the Pro version.
youffle214 has had Pro for over 2 years. 8)
I created my version because it contains some more aesthetical improvements, not because it works with Lite.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 23:09:37 by youffle214 »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2009, 23:40:15 »
Then I guess if youffle213 has Pro as well, we may want to go with the Pro version.
youffle214 has had Pro for over 2 years. 8)
I created my version because it contains some more aesthetical improvements, not because it works with Lite.
Oops...sorry about that. :oops: Well, that settles the whole "need for Lite issue"...now I guess we just work with whichever proves more versatile.

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2009, 23:53:37 »
Also, @OSad:
If you use any of our (mine and pick yer poison's) WaDF engines, don't forget to credit both of us regardless of which one you chose.
Reasons:
On mine, I directly used pick yer poison's smart programming of S and A.
On pick yer poison's one, I programmed the base of the BBP engine.

Oops...sorry about that. :oops:
It's 'k 8D

now I guess we just work with whichever proves more versatile.
???
I don't think there are really any versatility differences... we both used the same BBP engine, and the same S/A mechanism. The only thing that's different is the appearance and the compatibility with Lite (but the latter doesn't matter at the moment, since we all have Pro).

EDIT: *slaps head* And, of course, another difference is that the programming is different, but that's something that only we three get to see. :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 23:55:56 by youffle214 »

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2009, 00:44:41 »
About crediting, don't worry. You two are on top of the list. I still need people to do some level design. The gameplay is pretty much finished if we're not adding anything else *coughphysicscough*.

In my opinion, Pro is the way to go if you two keep fabricating the code. Remember! I can't use code language! Only the basic tools from game maker!

If all goes well, the next version might have some considerable advances. Also, i still haven't fixed the gravity issues! I'll upload the development files and share with you both.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2009, 01:41:39 »
Also, i still haven't fixed the gravity issues! I'll upload the development files and share with you both.
Wait, we still have gravity issues? Didn't we already fix those? :huh:

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2009, 02:22:42 »
If you play the latest version and go out of the first room, you'll understand.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2009, 03:28:31 »
If you play the latest version and go out of the first room, you'll understand.
Oh, right! Sorry, I was thinking of my version with views (which is apparently still a bit buggy, as you have shown :/).

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2009, 08:35:32 »
You have the first room at 60 fps, while the others are at 30 fps. Problem solved. :D

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2009, 11:21:29 »
Hey OSad, can I take a look at the file you were testing my views idea on? For making multiple areas within a single room? I want to see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

Offline OSad

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2009, 17:28:12 »
Hey OSad, can I take a look at the file you were testing my views idea on? For making multiple areas within a single room? I want to see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

The files are on ice cream (limo) until tomorrow. (i need to study for an important test today!)