KS level version system

• 8 Replies

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
KS level version system
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:45:37 »
I would like to propose a universal version numbering system for KS levels (although I doubt it will end up universal). Please feel free to post any ideas - i will take all SENSIBLE ideas seriously. The system so far is as follows:

First number: The main version number. A new version with every major update (i.e. new areas, stuff that effects gameplay bigtime)

2ndnumber: Smaller updates (i.e. backgrounds/music added) & bugfixes (i.e. glitches and wallswims fixed)

3rd number: Final details (i.e. SGEs fixed...)

example: A ClockWork Lemon - Adventures in the Void V4.7.1 (final) [puzzle/maze][hard]

Hope itz useful! 8D
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Drakkan

• View Profile
Re: KS level version system
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:55:01 »
not bad idea, but realise, that almost each of member is using his own version system. And you do not want from some newbie to follow one precisly system, even he/she do not knwo about that. So perhaps like a recommendation for people is this usefull, but for the rest not. Myself I am going to use my system in future, just number of version 1,2,3 etc and second number if changes are not so important (1.1, 1.2 etc...)

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 13:51:47 »
The version number should either come in the information screen of each level or the level name. I think I prefer the former, because otherwise it'll  occupy too much space. Whatever the case, it's important that we can easily check what version of the level we have installed.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 00:37:57 »
I actually think this is useful. I always started my betas at 0.1 and added 0.1 each new beta, so the second one would be 0.2, then 0.3, etc, which really is confusing. *is going to use this*
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 06:51:01 »
Ya, i think betas should be V0.something, but still, i think the system works for betas as well...
Drakkan, (btw im a big fan of frozen mountain 2) i no that the vast majority of ppl will use their own system, but as some philosopher said, a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
and Ponto, Ive revised my thoughts and im thinkin it would be a good idea to put the version no in the description......
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 06:58:00 »
mind you, if you were to put the Version in the description, The knytt levle archive wouldent be able to show the version unless it waz updated (wich i think it should be!)

Offline LightningEagle

• Who's the wacko, you say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 07:53:17 »
mind you, if you were to put the Version in the description, The knytt levle archive wouldent be able to show the version unless it waz updated (wich i think it should be!)
Would renaming the .knytt.bin file solve that? Doesn't the archive set the level title based on the file name?

It is at least possible the rename the .knytt.bin file with a version number without having it contained in the level name, since the name of the .knytt.bin file will just be the name of the folder of the level when unpacked.  :huh:

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:02:25 »
Would renaming the .knytt.bin file solve that? Doesn't the archive set the level title based on the file name?

It is at least possible the rename the .knytt.bin file with a version number without having it contained in the level name, since the name of the .knytt.bin file will just be the name of the folder of the level when unpacked.  :huh:

No. The level is unpacked to a folder named identically to the one it was compressed from, regardless of name. I could compress "googoogjoob - whatever" into "whtvr.knytt.bin", and the .knytt.bin file would still decompress to "Worlds/googoogjoob - whatever". You can rename the folder it's compressed from, but you cannot rename the folder to have any periods in it, so having distinct version numbers in the folder name is not possible. (And this means installing multiple versions of the level would be like installing multiple levels, since they wouldn't overwrite.)

The .knytt.bin file can have periods in the name, though, so you can do that so it shows in the archive. (This has already been done.)
good bye

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 07:48:52 »
Sweet i never knew that C).... that ment you could save a level & compress it, modify the .knytt.bin name so the version was in it, but when it was compressed the version number would be in the description, not the name (although i still think that knyttlevels.com should show the description ... maybe it will after itz been updated) :D