Knytt Stories Choppy in Windows 7?

• 7 Replies
Knytt Stories Choppy in Windows 7?
« on: February 22, 2011, 17:50:28 »
I just recently started playing Knytt Stories again, only now I am running it on a Windows 7 machine. One difference between running the game in XP versus 7 is that it's kind of choppy/jumpy in Windows 7. I am running on a perfectly capable laptop, so I was wondering if it had something to do with the OS.

Has anyone else had this problem? The choppiness is very subtle, but still annoying. It seems most apparent in Juni's animations and movements.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
Re: Knytt Stories Choppy in Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 18:22:21 »
Hmm... When I get to my home computer, which has Windows 7, I'll try it out. 'till then, anyone else have that problem?
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 22:15:11 »
I run it on windows 7 without a problem, but then again, I have a very, very fast gaming machine.

Can you provide system specifications, in order to see what the problem is?

Also, if you're using powermanagement settings set to low energy mode (or whatever its called) this can be a result of it.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 23:33:29 »
Dell XPS M1530
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 8600m GT

As you can see, my specs are well beyond what's necessary to play Knytt Stories smoothly. It's weird, but it's almost like it's just Juni's movements that appear choppy. Enemies and backgrounds animations seem fine. I've tried forcing V-sync and Triple-buffering, but neither has made a difference.

Maybe it's a refresh rate issue with my laptop LCD or something, I dunno. I definitely remember it not having this problem on XP though. I can say that much for certain.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 23:50:27 »
You now mention that its a laptop.  That makes a huge difference.

Do you have the laptop plugged into the AC wall outlet, or are you running from battery power? If its the last, then there's most likely a powersaving mode that is putting everything back.

You should also try to update your drivers. Do note though, that NVidia isn't as good with 2D graphics, as ATI is. I don't know what your previous computer had when it ran XP, but if it was ATI, then that'll make a huge difference as well.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 00:52:22 »
Okay, I fixed it.

I actually stumbled upon this fix when looking up how to fix a similar problem with N (by Metanet Software) on my Windows 7 machine. It probably is the fault of a combination of Windows 7 and my nVidia card, but using the settings pictured below eliminated the choppiness for me.

Maybe this will help anyone else who is running into this issue.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:32 »
Great to hear that you've got it to work. :)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 14:09:09 »
Maybe this fix would be worth putting in the KS section of the FAQ.