Think the community's state is /worth discussing/?

• 188 Replies

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Re: Think the community's state is /worth discussing/?
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2011, 03:53:04 »
Not feeling the need to constantly prove ourselves to each other because we are confident with our current relationships and feel certain that they can remain strong even in silence shows strength as a community.
I think a comfortable silence is one of the strongest connections people can have with each other. :)

I disagree. Unless you mean of an unspoken band, in which case I do agree. If people stop communicating, they distantiate from each other. When they've grown too much apart, they separate.

This community is not silent. The fact that every day that I check there are at least 6 new posts, proves that. True, it has been busier here, but people have lives outside the forum too. And as time goes faster every day (google this if you don't know what I mean) its not surprising that people have to prioritize more.
I don't mean silence really, just not feeling obligated to speak because you are already confident enough in the relationship. That doesn't mean you can't speak or that you shouldn't, just that periods of silence can be justified.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2011, 04:07:31 »
I'm only active in one web forum (this one is slowly getting closer to joining that club, I just need to get to know the people better), and it also has a problem with activity, maybe just a bit more active than this one, but with less members. But I noticed that the situation there is almost identical to this one. There may not be that many posts every day, but when there is activity, it's good activity. There is always a good mood in every topic, every discussion is taken seriously and in an adult way, and people can feel that most active members really get along with each other. I noticed that in this community really quickly after joining.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2011, 04:34:38 »
It wasn't so much sarcasm as it was irony.  It's an ironic comment.  How about we agree that we are balanced between too much talking and not enough?

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2011, 13:15:43 »
It is a calm forum. We don`t get much comments but in the Good:Bad Comment ratio, the good side dominates :D

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2011, 02:17:59 »
It's cool to see people that made some great levels before I even joined the forum come back. Drakkan, HR, then Jerom, now Klämrisk.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:28:56 by GrayFace »

Offline Klämrisk

• I can't even recall why I have this duck anymore..
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2011, 17:48:24 »
Speak of the devil, here I am!  8D

We shouldn't be sad that this forum isn't as active as...say..../b/.
Jelousy (how do you spell that?) is doubleplusungood.
As long as there are people still playing KS, at least I will still be around.
Audial experimentations (Read: demos)
Crazy metal band I sing and play bass/electric guitar in

"Throwback" - a KS level in progress
I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2011, 14:02:23 »
I was just playing a remake of one of my old favorite NES games, Blaster Master, for wiiware and when I transitioned from one area to another it was completely unfluid and abrupt and I thought, "Oh come on!  Haven't you guys ever seen a KS level where the transitions are natural???  Oh... maybe you haven't.  Well you should!" 

While that is just my experience, it seems to say something about the strength of this game... at least in my mind.  C)p  KS is a classic now, one of those bright stars in the night sky of gaming. 

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2011, 04:52:57 »
I agree with Klämrisk.. I've always had a kind of silent admiration for this place, it's concept and it's community.
I don't think a huge amount of activity would be too good for such a feeling..
Or how Klämrisk said it, quite plusungood :P

Offline Submarine1994

• Still watching the sun fall...
    • View Profile
    • Niffla's Forum
« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2011, 02:03:11 »
It is late and I have not read all of your posts as fine and valid as I'm sure they are, but this is my hypothesis on this forum/community which is relevant to others in some respects I suppose.

Well, I have been on this forum for years. I am an old user from before 2009 actually, but on a new account but I'd rather not say who to be able to start afresh. In my time on this forum I have noticed that in terms of the activeness of its community, well...
...Ok, to summarise it in a simple way, if I were to take the number of members active each day for a month and mark this on a graph to measure correalation, then it would have likely show no correalation whatsoever, which is to say that there's no 'pattern' for how many are active on what day.

There's a lot to consider too really. For a start, real life commitments can certainly be a major obstacle that makes coming online let alone onto this forum difficult, so that can cause a decline in activity, and it is the middle of Autumn so many students in particular will naturally be busy. Secondly, people will lose interest over time, it's natural and inevitiable with most. We'll find another game or interest/hobby and move our dedicated time to it instead thus coming here less. Finally, Niffla's games are not as well known as many of these big games like Minecraft, Runescape or WOW, so this site will receive much less attention compared to those sites. That said, yes, this site does receive a good amount of visitors, but compared to Runescape or WOW? Not really. Although more people online would be nice in some respects, would we want too many people here? Imagine all of the work that admins and moderators would have to go through, and on that note, trolls. When a site receives attention, trolls, flamers and other nusciances will naturally come too so I'm grateful myself that the site isn't too overpopulated really.

If you disagree with a point I've raised or if I've said what you may have already said, I direct you to my first sentence. This post's provenance is my mind, and it alone. That is all I ever really need after all...
A not-so-average being of introversy; many are flagitious and fallacious. I am not one of these.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2011, 19:21:28 »
... For some people, school has come by back in september (Myself included), meaning the activity in this forum took a big dive here. Some level production is taking a halt because of this. Maybe the activity will go to the upside during christmas break but after that, the decline will start again.

I find that lately, The forum's activity is close to none and it is sad to see this happen...

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2011, 20:14:50 »
... For some people, school has come by back in september (Myself included), meaning the activity in this forum took a big dive here. Some level production is taking a halt because of this. Maybe the activity will go to the upside during christmas break but after that, the decline will start again.

I find that lately, The forum's activity is close to none and it is sad to see this happen...
In a forum with such a strict theme (nifflas' games), and with the lack of a section for unrelated stuff (which I agree with), it is obvious that there will only be a lot of activity when there is something new related to the games, such as new releases or new information about coming releases. The rest of the activity should come from user made stuff (custom levels, mods, etc), and the interest in that is expected to after the game has been released for a long time without updates. Lately, it's been slow on official updates, information or releases, so I think the lack of activity is perfectly unrestandable.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2011, 09:09:29 »
I predict that things will be more active after KnyttWaDF. I think that game will have a huge impact, and something else might happen. (which I'm at this point not going to tell what it is)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LB

• I failed the Turing test.
    • View Profile
    • LB-Stuff
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2011, 04:11:48 »
The forum's activity level is perfectly within reason; people don't play games forever, you know, so they don't stick around unless they are emotionally attached to the community.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2011, 19:38:33 »
..., so they don't stick around unless they are emotionally attached to the community.

Ah, so thats what I am. X)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2011, 00:45:39 »
Seeing how you're paying for it, LPChip, I'd imagine you being active.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~