[Action/Exploration] Hero Core

• 32 Replies

Offline Zudak

• Ulysses S. Grant
    • View Profile
[Action/Exploration] Hero Core
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:09:43 »
Hero Core is a simple action game by Daniel Remar, the maker of Iji, featuring non-linear exploration and retro-influenced visuals and soundtrack. As Flip Hero, you infiltrate the base of the machine warlord Cruiser Tetron in an attempt to put an end to his reign of tyranny once and for all. This game is actually a sequel to a game called Hero, but it's not necessary to play the first game before you play this one. I myself have not done so. And from what I've heard this is the better game in any case.

Of particular note are the "Hard" difficulty setting, which is actually a re-arranged version of the game a la The Legend of Zelda's "second quest", and the highly amusing Retro language setting. Fight door explode. This fight door will always be explode.

Spoiler: Screenshots: (click to show/hide)

Get it here: http://www.remar.se/daniel/herocore.php

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Re: [Action/Exploration] Hero Core
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:53:21 »
LOL! you beat me to it by about 3 hours :)
Great game, i'm still playing through it.
Let me guess, you discovered it via Deceased Crab's new LP?
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Zudak

• Ulysses S. Grant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:20:07 »
That's right, ACL. I didn't actually watch more than a few seconds of the LP though. I just went right ahead and downloaded it so I could play for myself.

I think the most awesome thing I've done so far was beat Rock Smasher with almost no HP left. I only got hit like one time. It was pretty awesome.

Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 04:37:28 »
I was just about to post this, and in fact heard about it from DC's LP as well (love that guy).

I like this a lot better than Iji.  It's more playable.  I've beaten Normal and Hard 100%, and just beat the Reaper Drone on Annihilator mode.  Hero Core has so much replay value. :)

Also, I agree that the soundtrack is awesome.  Especially the boss music.

EDIT: I feel like discussing the bosses.  When I played Hard, I realized how much strategy there was in beating them.  On Normal they're all pushovers (especially Tetron, go figure), but on Hard it's a real challenge.  I found Reaper Drone and Rock Smasher to be extremely challenging.  My favorite boss is Star Splitter, it's fun to dodge the arms.

EDIT2: Just beat Annihilator - feel like a champ.  X)  Now for the boss rush... O_O
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:23:02 by TheoX »
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music
Currently: Having fun at college.

Offline Zudak

• Ulysses S. Grant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 05:42:59 »
I thought it was a little weird we didn't have a thread about this game yet.

I don't think we have an Iji thread either. Or maybe I just missed it.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 06:00:11 »
I don't think we have an Iji thread either. Or maybe I just missed it.
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=554.0 There is a [search] function, ya know. :P
Lurk more.

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:07:23 »
Anyone have a favorite/ least favorite boss so far?

How far are you guys, completion-wise?
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music

Offline Zudak

• Ulysses S. Grant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 07:41:35 »
I have been to 92 rooms, found 4 core computers, and fought three bosses.

Rock Smasher is my favorite... so far.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:38:46 »
I'm a bit ahead of the Reaper Drone room in Annihilation: that boss is so hard I had to use autofire for the first time (it's a lot easier with it), but the room with two annihilators on Hard difficulty was the hardest for me so far.

Spoiler: I loved the link to... (click to show/hide)
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 08:56:23 »
I dunno about how many bosses, but my favorite was the liquid metal processor. up to the guardian ATM
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 21:34:54 »
the room with two annihilators on Hard difficulty was the hardest for me so far.
Agreed, that room is ridiculously hard - it took me more tries to beat that room than any boss.  <_<
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music

Offline TheoX

• Lost in retro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 06:03:17 »
I am kind of obsessed with the bosses in this game, so I'm going to take a little time to give a walkthrough for all the hard mode bosses.

Read these if you are having trouble with any of the bosses, or if you just want to reflect on strategy!

Spoiler: Boss 1: Silencer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boss 2: Plasma Hydra (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boss 3: Reaper Drone (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boss 5: Rock Smasher (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boss 6: Grand Mother (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boss 7: Guardian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boss 8: Star Splitter (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Boss 9: Elite (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Final Boss: Tetron (click to show/hide)
Miscellany:
My Website
My Chiptune Music

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:45:31 »
Awww. This game is going at a snail's pace.
Lurk more.

Offline NESgamer190

• X-com's nightmare: Chryssalid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 21:36:07 »
Played this game, and boy do I LOVE IT!
I give heavy props for the music in the game.  (Boss fight, Tetron fight, and a few area musics give me a great smile)
As for favorite boss, I'd have to say the Eliminator (The hunter killer), namely from the fact that the sucker can go through walls, retreat at will, and has a minor upgrade.  IMO, that's perhaps the most realistic boss monster I've seen yet in games in general.
Honorable mentions:  Elite  (They work exactly like you, and I love a little mirror match, especially if they're near dead and try to shoot a nova of bullets at you.  [yes, I know what their bullet nova is called, but I won't spoil it for ya.])
Rock Smasher  (This is basically a battle of endurance and I kinda like bosses where you have to kill 'em from the inside out.)
Least favorite boss:  Star splitter
On hard, this sucker REALLY knows how to use his trio of maces, and since I'm pitiful at multitasking, it's basically disaster park.
Honorable mentions:  Grandmother  (Do I really have to explain the hard mode version of her?)
Guardian  (this sod can really take a beating, and in all due honesty, isn't exactly my favorite to deal with.  At least phase 2 isn't that much more taxing...)
Reaper drone  (Gosh, those drones are a pain in the butt to deal with!  SHOOT THEM DOWN!  AGH!)
Favorite minor foe:  Fighters  (Dunno why, but I think they're one of the only foes to shoot the weakest shots in hard mode)
Least favorite minor foe:  Drones  (See reaper drone)
Favorite moderate foe:  Eyespy  (Despite their heavy arament, I find them easier to kill than my least favorite moderate foe)
Least favorite Moderate foe:  Annihilators  (The omega metroid-esque things)
Ugh...  Those big brutes...  SERIOUSLY!  Those guys not only cause minor bullet heck in hard mode, have only TWO weak points (head and tail), but they also got an annihilator burst to boot!  ARGON!
Progress on difficulties:
Normal:  100%ed  (all secrets and all)
Hard:  Smashed Tetron, but 1 comp and boss shy of the 100%
Annihilation mode:  Defeated the Reaper drone.  (He was a serious pain in the rear!)  Getting reamed by a simple annihilator/fighter room.
Secrets I know:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Remar, you've done well on this game.  (Sorry about mega block o text.)
Unretired.
http://nesgamer7190.deviantart.com/ (My DeviantArt Account.  Behold my not too good artistics.)
  (Mafia 9 pie maniac)

I really have nothing going for me for creative signatures.

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 04:25:32 »
Spoiler: Boss 7: Guardian (click to show/hide)
Respectively. Heh. X)
Lurk more.