Deleting a room

• 5 Replies

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Deleting a room
« on: November 14, 2009, 19:20:08 »
There's several screens in my level that are really bugging me.  Maybe I used them when trying to learn the editor's quirks.  Maybe I originally planned to have them as part of an area, but then changed my mind.  Maybe I accidentally drew a tile in a room I didn't want to use. Either way, they're not in use, they're inaccessible, and I'm annoyed that they continue to show up as white dots on the map. But I can't find any screen deletion option in the KS Level Editor.

It... is possible, right?

Note: If there is no option in the editor, I would still like to hear if there is a tool that can do this or if there is a safe and easy way to do this by modifying Map.bin using a text editor or a hex editor (haha ya rite).  I'm not really that desperate, but it would be nice to know nonetheless.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 19:29:03 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Re: Deleting a room
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 19:28:40 »
Hit ctrl-del. :)
edit: or is it shift-del? Not sure, can't check right now...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 19:33:00 by Dataflashsabot »

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 19:30:47 »
Yay!  Thanks.  And yes, it is ctrl+del.

I wonder why this shortcut isn't in the PDF guide for the editor? Never mind, it is. D'OH!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 19:34:03 by Exp HP »
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 19:47:28 »
I wonder why this shortcut isn't in the PDF guide for the editor? Never mind, it is. D'OH!
It's also conveniently placed in the menu bar.
Lurk more.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 19:52:28 »
No it's not, or I would've seen it by now.....

Wait.....

OHHHHhhhhhh....

[Bangs head against computer screen really hard]

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 20:03:49 »
[...] or if there is a safe and easy way to do this by modifying Map.bin using a text editor or a hex editor (haha ya rite).

Of course there is, as useless as it may be: unpack the Map.bin file (it's a GZip archive) and open it with a hex editor, then find the coordinates of the room you want to delete (plain ASCII characters) and remove said coordinates and every byte after them till you reach the next ones (or the end of the file). GZip it back and it's done. Not that I've done it myself, but it's safe.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone