[Hard][Challenge/Puzzle] The Deep Pit (incomplete)

• 5 Replies

Offline Solarn

• View Profile
[Hard][Challenge/Puzzle] The Deep Pit (incomplete)
« on: December 09, 2009, 20:08:23 »
Yesterday I asked some people for some help regarding a level I was making. Now enough of it is complete that I feel confident in releasing it for testing.

This is the first alpha demo of my first ever Knytt Stories level, The Deep Pit. It has three and a half short areas, minimal plot and a very variable difficulty. I marked it as Hard because there are a few parts that in my opinion deserve that difficulty, but they are mostly optional (like getting keys, which do nothing yet, but which will open secret areas in the full version) and the third area is practically a cakewalk where you can only die if you try to.

No custom resources were used, only Nifflas' tilesets and music.

Here are a few screenshots:

The first key and the second easiest to get. Also the first area.

Part of the second area. Actually, I really like how this screen came out.

The pointless screen. Another part of the second area and my favourite screen. Currently it's just there to look good, but later there will be a shift to a short hidden area in the small recess to the right.

The third area. Currently not much, but I will expand on it later.

And finally, here's the download: The Deep Pit
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 21:23:19 by Solarn »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Just started playing. I assume this wasn't intentional, but
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
If this was intentional, well, there are void screenы above the first screen that you can reach using that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 21:05:11 by yohji »

Offline Solarn

• View Profile
Just started playing. I assume this wasn't intentional, but
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
If this was intentional, well, there are void screenы above the first screen that you can reach using that.
Still? I never got it when I tried jumping there, so I assumed that I made it unreachable enough. Now this is why I put the level up for testing. I'm not actually very good at hard jumps and stuff, so I miss these kinds of things. Thank you. I've changed it, but I'd like to wait for a full bug/glitch report before uploading a fixed version so I don't clutter the archive with nearly-identical copies.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 22:06:59 by Solarn »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
Re: [Hard][Challenge/Puzzle] The Deep Pit (incomplete)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 23:16:04 »
OK, still playing. Things are looking good so far, large level, lots of good detail. Just found one problem so far: you can get to the hologram room with the double jump alone. If you do that and save in that room, you find that there's no way you can leave (that requires high jump), and so the only thing left to do is to restart the game.

Offline Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:03:00 »
Got a couple problems here.

First off, the use of a black floor and background with no way of seeing the difference between the two, AND having to make a jump there is very annoying. If that's part of the challenge of the jump, fine. But it still makes you wonder if the floor is just going to go away without you even knowing about it because all the colors were the same.

Second. Please include the tilesets and gradients you use in the level folder. Or else this crap happens. Makes levels unplayable and ruins most otherwise goods ones.
[medium size, two endings, hard difficulty] Flight.
Coming soon! The Quest of Unknown Length

Offline Solarn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:35:22 »
OK, still playing. Things are looking good so far, large level, lots of good detail. Just found one problem so far: you can get to the hologram room with the double jump alone. If you do that and save in that room, you find that there's no way you can leave (that requires high jump), and so the only thing left to do is to restart the game.

Yes, I noticed that too and fixed it. It's now possible to exit the hologram area without having the high jump.

@Xia: That's why I always tried to clearly indicate where the floors are with lava and grey walls in the background. I included the tilesets in the level folder, uploading now.

EDIT: The archive won't recognize the file as a Knytt level with the tilesets in it, so I uploaded a changed version without them. They're all default tilesets anyway, so it's not really my fault if your copy has something else in their place.

Here it is: The Deep Pit v2
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:32:56 by Solarn »