I switched to Linux, and can't get KS to run in Wine.

• 5 Replies

Offline Whistler

• The hero of the Knytt people, Juni!
    • View Profile
I switched to Linux, and can't get KS to run in Wine.
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:58:54 »
Every time I run it I get:

Error

Could not load DirectoryPacker.mfx. This object may need an external program or library not yet ininstalled.

Please Help.

Offline chipset

• View Profile
Re: I switched to Linux, and can't get KS to run in Wine.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 05:00:23 »
You need to download msvcp60.dll (google for it) and place it into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32. That should allow DirectoryPacker.mfx to load, and Knytt Stories will run properly.

As a side note, you may also need to extract levels manually; see here for that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:10:56 by chipset »
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline Whistler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 13:41:55 »
Oh, ok. Thanks. (Still looking for the dll, though)

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 14:45:08 »
^ Since you said you switched to Linux, I guess you still have a Windows installation around, in which case you may find the msvcp60.dll file in the '\Windows\System32' folder. If you don't have one anymore, you could try extracting the file from your Windows installation disc (a bit complicated) or searching on those sites that host .dll files (but that could be illegal practice in your country, and I bet some of those sites aren't reliable anway).
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Whistler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 22:34:54 »
^ Since you said you switched to Linux, I guess you still have a Windows installation around, in which case you may find the msvcp60.dll file in the '\Windows\System32' folder. If you don't have one anymore, you could try extracting the file from your Windows installation disc (a bit complicated) or searching on those sites that host .dll files (but that could be illegal practice in your country, and I bet some of those sites aren't reliable anway).

I found one on some "system file recocvey site" and the one I used worked great. I do have my Windows 7 installation around, but didn't think to look there.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:51:35 »
In the future, consider using winetricks to get DLLs; it saves you the trouble of searching.