Metal Venture v1.03 [+Update] [+Youtube Previews]

• 95 Replies

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Venture v1.00
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2010, 04:06:29 »
This game is real fun  :D

but the shop keeper.. he looks almost exactly the same as the obne from robo kill
over all the game is the same as robokill!
maybe a few layout changes would be cool, but making levels is AWESOME!

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2010, 05:08:10 »
Kewlies. Dont suppose you have a version of the logo without the text on it, anything smaller than 48x48 and the text looks crap.
XD
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2010, 05:46:54 »
Hurray! It's finally done! :]

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2010, 23:11:42 »
OK, Im a fair way into this now, and 'm really enjoying it. Brilliant game.
Just a few gripes, though (and possibly a glitch)
  • In the level where you have to deactivate the forcefield for the elevator (2nd forcefield i think), I have gone to the ! block that Says that it has turned the field off, but if I return to the elevator the force field is still on. Am I doing something wrong?
  • But Mainly: There are to many collectable dropped items! The items that are used when you touch them are fine, however I think that they should be destroyed when you leave the room. (otherwise if you die heaps of times in the same room, they just build up and up), and the items that go into your inventory... Yo spend half your life clearing your inventory. Basically I've had to fully fill all the shops in the game, and even then throw stuff out. Plus, because of this, I have Heaps of money. maybe It would be an idea to reduce the frequency of Item drops?
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
    • vdweller's freeware games
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2010, 23:46:27 »
OK, Im a fair way into this now, and 'm really enjoying it. Brilliant game.
Just a few gripes, though (and possibly a glitch)
  • In the level where you have to deactivate the forcefield for the elevator (2nd forcefield i think), I have gone to the ! block that Says that it has turned the field off, but if I return to the elevator the force field is still on. Am I doing something wrong?
  • But Mainly: There are to many collectable dropped items! The items that are used when you touch them are fine, however I think that they should be destroyed when you leave the room. (otherwise if you die heaps of times in the same room, they just build up and up), and the items that go into your inventory... Yo spend half your life clearing your inventory. Basically I've had to fully fill all the shops in the game, and even then throw stuff out. Plus, because of this, I have Heaps of money. maybe It would be an idea to reduce the frequency of Item drops?

About the elevator/force field. It's a bug. If you don't visit the forcefield room first, it will not go down when activating the ! pad. I've fixed it and it will be OK in the next update. If needed now, you can override it in the level editor, by replacing the force filed door with a normal one.

EDIT: Clockwork lemon, if you have a save before hitting the ! switch use this:
Replace the game.exe with this one
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yyzrwzygdzn
Also replace the file room013004obj.txt located in your "lvl7" folder of the "A dormant menace" world folder with this one:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jugmyjaj1z2
and see if this problem is fixed.

About the items: If upon completing the level you return to the level shops and sell all your items, you won't have any problems. Additionally, if you die several times, your amount of money will be greatly reduced, so because you *will* die at one point or another, you won't be finishing the game with, like, tens of thousands of money. Discarding items may also be needed (I never had to because I sold all my unnecessary items before exiting a level). The majority of testers said they had no problem with items and inventory management (their only complaint was the huge price of the Stein9001). However I'm taking your remark into consideration, and if similar conjecture arises again, a future version will be more strict in terms of "item flooding".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 00:04:41 by vdweller »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2010, 06:54:07 »
Dont worry about it.
I just edited the door into a normal door as suggested and am pas that now. thanks all the same! C)p

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2010, 14:19:37 »
The Metal Venture forum link in the first post had an error, now it is fixed.

Also, version 1.01 will be uploaded soon. There were some minor (OK,one not so minor) issues fixed.
Changes from v1.00
-Removed the "DELETE" panel at world selection, which remained if you selected a world with a a saved game and then selected another world without one.
-Fixed the walkable void in the last boss room.
-Fixed forcefields not disappearing if remotely disabled unless having visited the room where they are first.

I know that the game size is repulsive, but in my book, 50 MB of original music from various artists (Rusty Studio,PartySan,ERH etc), instead of cheap ripoffs from other games, should compensate for the download size.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2010, 20:20:12 »
would it be possible to RAR the audio folder, then have people unRAR it on their computer? that should make it smaller! Also, when you release the new version with the source, for those who already have the game, will you be releasing a source-only package?

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2010, 02:51:31 »
would it be possible to RAR the audio folder, then have people unRAR it on their computer? that should make it smaller! Also, when you release the new version with the source, for those who already have the game, will you be releasing a source-only package?

Not sure I understand what you suggested. The audio is already compressed in the downloaded .exe (in .7z) format. I'm not going to further reduce the quality if the music (it's already too low for my taste). As for the source release, I'll simply upload the 2 .gmk files.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2010, 21:14:02 »
Patch 1.02

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cnemvxhw4wz
(4.8 MB .RAR)
simply extract (and overwrite existing files) in the game directory.

Changes from v1.01
-Fixed the "A dormant menace" world level 4 not being beatable because the force field wouldn't go down.
-Added console support.

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2010, 20:08:24 »
Good news! Aside from a very good GMC review by Mark13673 at the Reviewer's Choice section, the game was also featured in the web version of the biggest PC games magazine in Greece! The link is in greek though...unless you speak greek, don't bother visiting it :)

If you are interested in making your own adventures and need help, join the Metal Venture Community and get started!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 20:11:07 by vdweller »

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Venture v1.02 [+Update] [+Youtube Previews]
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2010, 15:23:52 »
I have uploaded the source files for both the game and the editor. Just extract them in the game directory. You will also need the respective .gex extensions/DLLs - the game will tell you which ones you'll need, it's easy to google for them or get them from the official Game Maker community and their size is minimal.

LINK (2.71 MB .zip)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t5mmy4zmmyr

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2010, 16:21:08 »
It still doesn't work well in WINE.  Well, everything "works," but it's unplayably slow.  :(

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2010, 22:53:29 »
Well, it's a GM game, so technically I can't do anything about it. Only the WINE team can :)

Offline vdweller

• JapanStache!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2010, 12:20:57 »
Game added in ModDB:
http://www.moddb.com/games/mental-venture

EDIT:
Patch 1.03 released.

I do stupid mistakes. Many people complained about A dormant Menace level 8 not being beatable because the forcefield wouldn't go down. I did a little research and guess what! I didn't change the code in level 8 in order to match 1.02 commands! Way to go!

You can download just the patch from here (3.96 MB .zip):
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4xizzuo2kqx

Or an entire repack (74.78 MB 7-zip compressed self-extracting .exe) (I plan to completely remove all previous versions)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dxtyzy0hthn

If you patched the game to 1.03 and had saved your progress in level 8, the forcefield probably will still not go down. Here is a way to get past the forcefield:
Find "options.ini" in the game directory and open it.
Find the line console=0 and change it to console=1.
Load your saved game and go to the room with the forcefield.
Press the T key. An input field will appear. Input the following line:
field_down(roomx,roomy)

This should work. If it doesn't, contact me. Again, sorry for any inconvenience.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:42:27 by vdweller »