Need an Icon please

• 11 Replies

Offline Mirage

• Mushroom!
    • View Profile
Need an Icon please
« on: July 20, 2009, 18:07:02 »
I... am kinda new at the whole Knytt Stories Details manager and all that jazz and I don't know what the limit is for the level Icons. And all I gots it MSPaint so the icon would be fail. So I was hoping the sexiest people on the web could help me. I'm lookin for an icon thats like a portal but not from the game Portal. I'm not makin an Aperature Game. Just looking for like a circle (colorfull) with half a person (or Juni) inside of it.. Could anyone help at that? :)

Edit: Spellcheck
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 18:09:04 by Mirage »
Rawr! :D

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
Re: Need an Icon please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 18:58:52 »
Icon is 24x24. And you can do it, just because you only have Mspaint doesn't mean you will fail. At least try and if you fail its not the programs fault, its yours.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 19:50:33 »
actually, it's 30 by 30 pixels.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 23:59:19 »
Actually, it can be any size, as long as its square.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 23:18:11 »
Actually, it can be any size, as long as its square.
however, using sizes that are not repeated divisions/multiplications by two will squeeze/stretch it weirdly.  30x30 isn't that hard for an icon if you're using a clip of the game, just use a screenshot program and set it to 30x30 (eg MWSnap)
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 23:58:12 »
Do you mean like this?

Edit: Actually, attempting to make just about anything look good with ms pain will fail.  I'd recommend the GIMP.

Nothing wrong with MS Paint, just zoom in x8 and draw it pixel by pixel. GIMP and Photoshop are not that good for pixel art, MS Paint is just fine.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 00:04:35 »
Nothing wrong with MS Paint, just zoom in x8 and draw it pixel by pixel. GIMP and Photoshop are not that good for pixel art, MS Paint is just fine.
That's tedious to work with, especially when you want to zoom out to see how something looks. GIMP and Photoshop allow layers and transparency, which lets you easily add effects like shadows or flares, and on top of that, MS Paint can only undo 3 times. 3 times. That right there is reason enough not to use it, in my opinion.

Now, I'm not saying that you can't make good pixel art stuff with MS Paint. I just really, really don't recommend it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 00:06:16 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 01:54:50 »
I don't know if this is what you want, but if you're not after anything very fancy, here's what I did to make an icon for my first level: I made a screenshot from a screen of my level, opened that screenshot in my graphics program (I have something slightly, but not much better than MS Pain - but for this, you don't really need anything that Paint can't do), made a 30x30 pixel selection from that, and saved that as a png file - and that's my icon. (I'm currently using that as my user picture here as well.)

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 03:27:08 »
That's tedious to work with, especially when you want to zoom out to see how something looks. GIMP and Photoshop allow layers and transparency, which lets you easily add effects like shadows or flares, and on top of that, MS Paint can only undo 3 times. 3 times. That right there is reason enough not to use it, in my opinion.

Now, I'm not saying that you can't make good pixel art stuff with MS Paint. I just really, really don't recommend it.

Yeah, true, it's just good for really simple things. I prefer Photoshop whenever I actually do pixel art(rarely) anyway.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 05:54:46 »
I prefer Photoshop whenever I actually do pixel art(rarely) anyway.
Why? I mean pixel art is pixel pixel type stuff and doesn't need all that photoshop stuff.
Lurk more.

Offline Ariana

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 06:10:18 »
I prefer Photoshop whenever I actually do pixel art(rarely) anyway.
Why? I mean pixel art is pixel pixel type stuff and doesn't need all that photoshop stuff.

There is no MS Paint on Linux, I use either GIMP or CS2 in through wine.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 17:28:56 »
Now imagine going over a section you'd spent 20 minutes on, then realizing that you needed it after all? With MS Paint, you'd have to draw it all over again. Also, like I said before, shadows are extremely hard with MS Paint.