Jumping out and up from under an overhang without highjump ability: "easy"?

• 7 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
I just noticed that A Walk at Night is classified as "easy", yet I remember having to practice for several days (not non-stop, obviously ;-)) before I could manage some of the jumps that were required in that level - or at least were required if you really wanted to see all areas. There is one part where you have to manage jumping out and up from under a one-square overhang not just once but several times in a row, without having the highjump powerup. To me, that is not quite within the scope of an "easy" level, at least not as I understand it. Of course, the area accessed that way (as well as the other area that only required one(?) such jump) could be considered as a secret. So, my question here is twofold:

1.) Should a level containing a jump like that be tagged 'easy'; and more generally speaking: if a level is 99% really easy and there's one small element in there that is quite a bit more difficult than the rest of the level, should the level creator rate the difficulty according to the majority of the level, or according to that one small bit? I'm asking because as a very bad player it's seriously frustrating to me to suddenly find myself unexpectedly cut off from the rest of a level that up to a certain point was quite easy.

2.) Is it common practice to place secrets in such a way as to make it significantly more difficult to reach them than reaching the rest of the level; and if that is the case, is the level then classified according to the main parts, or according to the secrets? [This is kind of a variation on question 1.), really.]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 03:05:48 by Hmpf »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Difficulty is rated based on the hardest part of the level the player must play through in order to reach an ending.

Of course, there are problems with this. In a level like Walk at Night, the point of the level isn't to win, it's to see what there is in the level, and take in the atmosphere. Teenhmifnoeafgil has many endings, and it's easy to reach an ending, but getting the most satisfactory ending is very hard, at least.

But, for the most part, it works.

As for secrets- the difficulty is decided by the author, and there aren't really many trends in difficulty. In any case, a secret's difficulty does not reflect on the difficulty label of the level.
good bye

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me where I can get "Walk at Night"?
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Can anyone tell me where I can get "Walk at Night"?

The Archive.
good bye

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
Thanks!!!
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

There is one part where you have to manage jumping out and up from under a one-square overhang not just once but several times in a row, without having the highjump powerup.
What? You can get highjump in A Walk at Night.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Really? Okay, maybe, then, I was even more crap at playing KS then than I am now - this was weeks ago, after all, and even though I lack talent, even I must be getting better with experience...  I guess I must have found doing that jump *with* highjump ability just as difficult as I now find doing it without that ability. I just remember how bloody difficult it was, and I kind of assumed that  that must mean that I had no highjump ability!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Okay, maybe, then, I was even more crap at playing KS then than I am now

Right, I just tested that hypothesis by replaying A Walk at Night, and, yes, I was definitely more crap back then. That series of jumps is not a big problem to me anymore. Maybe there's hope for me yet... ;-)