Contacting Sinix?

• 4 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Contacting Sinix?
« on: July 16, 2009, 15:53:59 »
Errm. Thorny issue, I know, but I've accidentally built three screens - three absolutely gorgeous screens, if you ask me - using a tileset by Sinix, under the erroneous assumption that that tileset was public. (Please read on before you jump on me, okay?)

On closer inspection I found out that s/he only ever posted the 'forest' tileset as public. Now, from reading the 'forest' tileset thread on the old forum it seems to me that Sinix is a very accommodating person - s/he mentioned being willing to paint up, on user demand, more tilesets fitting the style of the forest tileset. So, it seems more than likely to me that s/he would allow me to use that other tileset, especially as a) it's only for these three screens, and b) what I'm doing with it looks fairly different from what s/he did in Mimir Island. Still, just proceeding to incorporate these three screens in my level on the assumption that Sinix would be fine with it is obviously... problematic. Therefore, I need to contact him/her - I just don't know how. Anybody know any contact details for him/her?

If I can't contact Sinix I'm going to have to replace those three screens in the public version of the level with something radically less attractive... which would be sad for the people who are going to play this level. :-(

Screenshot of what I've done with the tileset:

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Contacting Sinix?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 18:28:31 »
Here are the rules about uploading and downloading tilesets from the old forums:

Quote from: Nifflas
By posting a tileset, you agree that:

?You are the author of the tileset (or have the author's permission to submit it).
?Anyone can use your tileset in their non-profit Knytt Stories level design free of charge, under the condition that they credit you.

Quote from: Nifflas
By downloading a tileset from this board, you agree that:

?You can only use the tileset in your non-profit Knytt Stories level design.
?You credit the author of each tileset that you use.
?You don't modify the tileset without the author's permission.
?You don't use graphics from the tileset in your own tilesets.

According to these, since Sinix uploaded the tileset, you automatically have his permission to use it in your level. You'll only have to contact him if you want to modifiy it.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 20:40:00 »
Yeah, if it *had* been posted to the board. But, see, I started playing around with the editor, and with tilesets, during a phase - lasting several months - when I was nearly completely offline, so I pulled tilesets from the tilesets folders of various levels I had on my laptop to play around with. None of this was ever intended for posting, and it didn't result in anything approaching a proper level, so I figured that it didn't matter if a few of the tilesets I used in my private playing around weren't public (there was no way for me to check, as I was lacking online access).

When I started building a 'serious' first level for publication - Falling Water, described on the previews board - I weeded out (or so I thought) all tilesets from my 'library' that I didn't find in the 'public tilesets' threads/pages. However, I seem to have overlooked a couple by Sinix, probably because my brain stupidly extended the public status of the forest one to the rest of them. Now, what with Sinix's statements in the forest tileset thread, it seems likely s/he'd be fine with me using the other one as well, but I'd like to make sure.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 21:48:05 »
Oh, wait, I was mixing this tileset up with his other forest tileset (the one in the public tilesets database). It has the same style, but it's less rocky, so I didn't notice the difference at first. Nevermind then, carry on.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 14:30:51 »
Ha! I should have googled first... *sheepish*

Reached him, got his permission, all is well. :-) (Except for the fact that it does not seem like he will ever finish Mimir Island, which is a crying shame.)