Is there a more elegant way to do this?

• 4 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Is there a more elegant way to do this?
« on: July 10, 2009, 13:31:15 »
Hm. How do I describe this...

Well. I have a sequence of three screens filled with dialogue, interrupted by a variety of possible actions. I have (I think) figured out a way to make the dialogue run in the right order - to prevent parts that should only come up after a certain action has been accomplished from coming up earlier, but it took replication of a large part of the level (well, 'large' for a level that isn't very large yet - I had to replicate about a dozen screens, out of the currently 60 or so I have).

From watching tutorials and reading threads here, it seems to me that there may be a more elegant way to achieve the same effect; however, I learn badly from tutorials - everything I've learned about Knytt Stories level making so far I've learned by playing around with the editor, looking at levels I've played in the editor, and looking at the world.ini files of levels I've played. So I haven't been able to extract the info I need from the tutorials.

Therefore... could someone, perhaps, take a look at what exactly I have done in my level with those scenes, and tell me if they think there is a better way to do it - and then give me a fairly concrete tip regarding what I should do?

I'm not sure if it's okay to post a link to my unfinished level here, so maybe, just give me a shout via PM?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Is there a more elegant way to do this?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 17:45:56 »
I don't have time to look at your level, but I think you can accomplish what you want by various shifts that are activated upon pressing down (like save).

You can use that to present the player with 3 choises a screen and warp to a next screen. It'll be a tedious task because you'll have to make screens for all answers, but it'll work. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 00:05:01 »
That's not quite what I was trying to do - it was more of a 'the third time the player enters this room, I need another bit of dialogue to play out, but only if the player has acquired this or that upgrade by then; and, whoops, if I warp to *this* replicated version of that part of the level at that point of the game, then the player ends up in the wrong dialogue situation *later*, grrrrrr' kind of thing. I think I found a solution that works, but it seems a bit unwieldy.

Anyway, three people have volunteered to have a look. :-) I think this is something that's rather difficult to capture in words, but probably relatively obvious if you look at the map and the world.ini file.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 00:48:02 »
Ah. If you need to check for items, then you'll need flags. Probably a flag-warp would work. As for counting the time you enter a room, you would need to use copies and warps. Once you enter a room and exit it (either by shifts or warp) you get to a different screen that looks like the previous one, except that it isn't.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 04:10:55 »
I'm pretty good with KS type programmy.. flag.. stuff...

But if there's already three people, I guess it's unnecessary.
Lurk more.