Sound

• 5 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Sound
« on: July 08, 2009, 23:17:37 »
Any tips for converting wav, mp3 and other formats into ogg? Software you like, software to avoid, common problems, that kind of thing. I need to add several new ambient sounds to the standard ones for my level, and the sound sites I found so far don't seem to have much ogg stuff available.

I'd also really welcome a few pointers to sites that offer cc-licenced ambient music that may be used in levels - I'm not an ambient fan, so this is a completely new field to me, and I hardly know where to start.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: Sound
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 23:31:45 »
The Forum "Creativity Support" is, I think, pretty much packed with info on music, sounds, -related software and all. go and [search] there. :)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 23:43:25 »
Ah, okay. I thought since this was directly related to level making it should go here. :-) I did actually search the entire forum (or so I think - I know I didn't tell the search engine to limit the search to one subforum) for "sound format" and a few similar search terms, but didn't really find anything I found very helpful. (Remember, I'm a total newbie to this kind of thing, so any kind of advanced information is going to go right over my head...)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 23:50:06 »
I just realised I probably have to learn how to turn a random sound file into a loopable file as well, don't I? I would imagine not every file loops well.

(Is this another question that should be posted under Creativity Support? I.e., are all sound-related questions to be posted there? I'm slightly confused - I thought this here was the Knytt Stories level editing support board, and the Creativity Support one was for projects independent of Knytt Stories.)

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:57:24 »
Since making music loop well is something that could be useful for any game, I guess it would fit better in the other Forum. I think there have been posts about this issue, but the simplest answer is: get an audio file editor (Audacity, for example) and patiently adjust your music files by trial and error.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 13:16:50 »
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Questions only useful for Knytt Stories here, more generally useful questions in Creativity Support. :-)