The Level Designer's Trap

• 128 Replies

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Level Designer's Trap
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2010, 23:36:01 »
The argument isn't about whether or not invisible walls should be used at all, PP; rather, it's about whether or not blocking off areas with a giant invisible wall is OK. Which I say it's not, as there is nearly always another way to do it that would result in a better experience.

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2010, 20:10:14 »
The argument isn't about whether or not invisible walls should be used at all, PP; rather, it's about whether or not blocking off areas with a giant invisible wall is OK. Which I say it's not, as there is nearly always another way to do it that would result in a better experience.

What the...?

um...

So, you're saying that invisa-walls aren't wrong, just almost always wrong?
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2010, 20:56:02 »
He's saying that invisible walls just shouldn't be used for blocking off areas; if that's almost every case of invisible wall usage, then, yes, they're almost always wrong. :)
o__  o

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2010, 22:57:46 »
It should be noted that by "blocking off areas," I mean barricading an edge of the screen with invisible walls (so the player can't walk to the next screen in that direction) without providing some visual reason as to why the player can't physically go there.

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2010, 17:17:28 »
*face palm*

Why else would...

Know what?  I'mma call stalemate on this one.  How about we agree to this:  I will continue using IWS when I think it necessary, and you can continue not liking it.  It's pretty obvious neither of us are budging on the issue.

Moving onto something perhaps we CAN agree on:  After making Blue House, I thought it would be clever if I had only one (1) save spot in it.  Erm...That was a mistake (but I'm still not changing it).  So I thought up a new rule for myself, and you can tell me if this seems somewhat balanced.  I figure I keep the save spots with in 3 screen of each other with obstacles, and about 9 screen with out obstacles.

Um...To clarify,  If it's just a playground level, then the save spots are further away cuz there are very few ways to die.  If it's a challenge level, keep the save spots with in 3 screens, to keep frustration levels on the low.  I try not to make Ludicrous levels, but if I did, I'd say each screen have a save spot.

9_9  No hard and fast rule on this subject, think I, but this at least seems fair.
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2010, 18:15:16 »
Know what?  I'mma call stalemate on this one.  How about we agree to this:  I will continue using IWS when I think it necessary, and you can continue not liking it.  It's pretty obvious neither of us are budging on the issue.

That seems fair.

Your theory about save spot locations seems fine by me, although I like to include a save spot right before "surprise traps" (i.e. screens with no prior warning that you can easily die in by mistake).

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2010, 23:05:42 »
3 screens sounds like too much of a gap, unless the screens have very, very little challenge.

PYP: Explain why anyone would want to see a "surprise trap" in a level in the first place.

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2010, 02:08:47 »
3 screens sounds like too much of a gap, unless the screens have very, very little challenge.

PYP: Explain why anyone would want to see a "surprise trap" in a level in the first place.
Maybe it's a Lunatic level?

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2010, 04:36:02 »
Surprise traps are never fun. Even in a game that is obviously based around them, like IWBTG, isn't fun.
Lurk more.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2010, 22:52:01 »
Surprise traps don't need to be enemies at the start of the screen: They can be a pool of water that you might not expect, a sudden fall right next off the bat, etc. They usually pop up due to small mistakes in screen design.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2010, 23:54:04 »
I have seen several of these, usually in some very popular levels. Like a large amount of water with no more than one tile of warning, or a green chomp that seems to blend in with the background, etc. etc. But sometimes these things make the level a bit less boring, like if you happen across one, die, and come back to it you know what to expect, but if you change it up afterwards, you have to keep on your toes. I like a good exciting level that keeps you guessing on what's next. That's my two cents anyways.
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2010, 03:47:52 »
Surprise traps don't need to be enemies at the start of the screen: They can be a pool of water that you might not expect, a sudden fall right next off the bat, etc. They usually pop up due to small mistakes in screen design.

Again, why would you intentionally put one in a level?

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2010, 06:30:50 »
Again, why would you intentionally put one in a level?

They usually pop up due to small mistakes in screen design.

Ponder the meaning of the word "mistake" and then ask that again.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2010, 07:17:14 »
PYP, you answered the wrong question: "why do they appear in levels?", not "why would you intentionally put one in a level?".  From your more recent response I figure you were implying that it is indeed silly to intentionally construct surprise traps (answer corresponding to correct question: "You wouldn't; surprise traps are silly and are only justifiable when resulting from mistakes." though it's still pretty silly since decent design says fix mistakes rather than building ridiculous traps around them ;))?!?!
o__  o

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2010, 16:42:03 »
Ponder the meaning of the word "mistake" and then ask that again.
I like to include a save spot right before "surprise traps" (i.e. screens with no prior warning that you can easily die in by mistake).

That heavily, heavily implies that you were at least aware of the surprise trap, which means you're intentionally leaving it in the level, even if you didn't intentionally put it there in the first place.