Cropping a screenshot in Paint.NET

• 8 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Cropping a screenshot in Paint.NET
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:06:40 »
Most of the times when I capture a KS screenshot and then try to crop it using a rectangular 600x240 px mask in Paint.NET, I end up with an image that somehow still has about one pixel of the game's 'window frame' left on every side. Is the size of the actual KS window - the inside of the window, that is, not counting the frame - less than 600x240, then? Or is there something I may be doing wrong that could explain this strange excess of pixels on the borders of my image? As the excess pixels appear on every side of the image, I don't think it can be a failure to center the mask properly...

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Re: Cropping a screenshot in Paint.NET
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:16:06 »
that is strange... I personally just cut off the extra manually normally, but.......
interesting
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:21:55 »
that is strange... I personally just cut off the extra manually normally, but.......
interesting

Yeah, but when I do that, I have to enlarge the screenshot afterwards if I want to use it as an info screen or cutscene, and it tends to go a bit blurry... I'd much rather be able to crop it precisely - and I just can't figure out what's going wrong there! Arrgh!

Offline Mochaalatte

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 05:10:28 »
Are you print screening (printing screen?) from the Level Editor?  Although I still get a 1 px horizontal bar.  Weird.  O_o
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Bluh bluh. I have this thing now.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:57 »
It's something the program does. When you run a program, there is a 1 pixel, 50%(?), white border around the window. At least on Windows systems.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 21:24:31 »
It's something the program does. When you run a program, there is a 1 pixel, 50%(?), white border around the window. At least on Windows systems.

Ah, okay. So, I *do* need to set the cropping mask to 598x238 pixels instead of 600x240?

BTW, all you longtime Paint.NET users: how do I sharpen an image without it becoming visibly pixelated? (Or, for that matter, WHY does my image become so blurry when I enlarge it from 598x238 to 600x240? One should think that with such a minor enlargement, there wouldn't be much loss of sharpness... Maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 21:31:38 »
Ah, okay. So, I *do* need to set the cropping mask to 598x238 pixels instead of 600x240?
Well, let's analyze it.
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 22:41:11 »
Isn't the issue due to anti-alaising being on?

I believe that simply turning off anti-alaising before cropping allows you to crop a normal 600x240 image.

EDIT: ok, appearantly, the gamewindow itself is smaller than 600x240. Even the cutscenes are smaller.

So I think that using a 598x238 image would work too. And if not, putting a black border around it will probably do too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 22:47:13 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 23:21:24 »
EDIT: ok, appearantly, the gamewindow itself is smaller than 600x240. Even the cutscenes are smaller.
The game is 640*240, but the window is anti-aliased around the edges, yes.

putting a black border around it will probably do too.
Smart.
Lurk more.