Custom Avatars?

• 8 Replies

Offline kamal

• View Profile
Custom Avatars?
« on: December 08, 2009, 22:08:41 »
Hey guys,
New to the forum, knytt stories, the editor, and having lots of fun so far  :crazy:

My question is this:

Does anyone know how to go about creating custom tile art for Juni, the playable avatar? 

I'm wanting to make an entire game using the knytt stories level editor but I want all the content to be my own.

Any help here would be much appreciated.
many thanks
Kamal

PS: I already know how to create custom objects

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Avatars?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 22:12:28 »
What do you mean by "tile art" and "avatars"?
Do you mean custom tilesets, or something else? There are a bunch of threads about custom tilesets (or at least there used to be on the old forum. I'm not so sure about how it is now.)
You should check out the stickies on this board and see if there is anything related to whatever it is you want to do.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 01:18:13 »
Does anyone know how to go about creating custom tile art for Juni, the playable avatar?
You can't change the character appearance in game. You can edit the level icon (displayed on the level select screen) by making a 30*30 icon.png file in your world folder.
Lurk more.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:32:40 »
It is not possible to change the player's sprites.  You can change however, change the colors:

In KSManager, you can set a Shirt color and a Skin color.
Unfortunately, that's all the customization you get on Juni.
You can't even change her hair color, let alone give her a new sprite. >_>

Oh, and since everyone has this problem, I use my PSYCHIC POWAHTM to predict that Knytt Stories Manager crashes when you try to open it.  And in response, I recommend you move the Knytt Stories folder to C:\, because long folder names are what make it crash. ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:35:43 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:31:25 »
You can in fact change the player sprite. Don't listen to the others.
For it you need to get the ks source and mmf2 then make a mod with the new sprite.

Offline kamal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 19:36:20 »
Thanks Salmoneous.  That's what I was afraid of.  I'll see if I can give that a try.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 19:47:18 »
Warning: If you're going to be doing that, you're not going to be able to distribute your level normally (in .knytt.bin format).  You're essentially going to be distributing a modified version of the game itself; a game based off of the KS engine.
And though I've never looked at the source, I think it's not too unlikely that Juni's collision map is stored separately or even hardcoded.  If you replace her graphics, be sure to also modify everything that is dependent on the shape of her original sprites.

Also, MMF2 is professional software.  As in, it costs money.

If you don't mind all that, that's fine.  A mod is a good project to undertake.
I'm just making sure you understand that what you're doing is different from making a level.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 20:06:48 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline kamal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 19:51:03 »
Yup, I hear you loud and clear Salmoneus, thanks!  ;)
Even though MMF2 costs money, it's still a pretty good deal considering what you get.
If I have any luck getting this to work I'll reply to this thread.
cheers!
Kamal

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 06:38:34 »
And though I've never looked at the source, I think it's not too unlikely that Juni's collision map is stored separately or even hardcoded.
It's a rectangle. :awsum:

Customizing Juni wouldn't be all that hard. It's just you'd have to replace every single event dealing with her. :sick:
Lurk more.