[Challenge][Very Hard][Large][KS+] Kismet

• 0 Replies

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
[Challenge][Very Hard][Large][KS+] Kismet
« on: April 24, 2024, 09:33:46 »
A few months ago I ran into the word "kismet" somewhere. I thought: "That's it! That's my next level title!" It's a word that means "destiny."

I spent a while making a sequel to Shalev to thank a user here for adoring Shalev, which truly has moved me and pushed me to bold creative heights. That level was called Shamira. And that user? Rosa Parks. No actually, play the level and find out, I thank them at the end.

So what do you do after you make a level that was basically a super emotional thank-you? You make a really random epic level, I guess.

Kismet will be my most epic yet, hopefully coming at at least 500 screens but we'll see. Because I always struggle to choose which powerup order to use in my levels, I decided to make a level with a randomized powerup order. I shuffled and drew pieces of paper to determine the order, and if this gives you any idea of just how random it is: the first three powerups are red key, eye, and yellow key. Yeah. It will take a little while to get run, but just imagine how good it will feel when you get it!

Random powerup order=random ideas. So far I've made a spooky graveyard, a medieval kingdom where everyone speaks in "Shakespearean English," surreal and brutal death scenes, a record store, an area based on the US state of Colorado, and more!

Oh, and there will be lots of challenges to please the ChallengeBoys(tm).

The actual plot is this: when knytts turn 23, they go on a quest to find their destiny. Juni is on her quest, and she can get five or so good endings and some bad ones too.

I am really, really inspired by the Clash album known as Sandinista. It's one of my all-time favorite albums and it represents pure all-out creativity--four guys and like 30 session musicians trying everything they can think of and then releasing a triple LP of it all. Go listen to it! It's way better than London Calling (says like 5% of Clash fans including me).

Hopefully Kismet will be out this year!
Rome wasn't built in a day.