[Challenge][Hard/Very Hard] E.T - The five worlds of challenge

• 11 Replies

Offline E.T

• View Profile
This is a map me and my friend made. contains some of our own tileset.
we decided to upload it...

You're supposed to beat all the five challenges, and collect the four keys. It's one of our first maps, so be gentle, and give some response
to let us know what we can change/Do better, and what you liked and so on.

anyway: here it is.    :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?mdm5m3njjh4  ( Fixed )

I added some pictures for you to look at.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 21:29:48 by E.T »

Offline Willster

• Solved, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge][Hard/Very Hard] E.T - The five worlds of challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 20:33:54 »
Screenshot please? But yeah, I'll try it.
I'm new...

Offline E.T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 20:51:07 »
Screenshot please? But yeah, I'll try it.

screenshot? you got it.

Offline Willster

• Solved, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 21:05:30 »
Found some backround stuff on layer 3 and a void if...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
I'm new...

Offline E.T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 21:06:48 »
Found some backround stuff on layer 3 and a void if...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Oh, i'll try to fix that. thanks

EDIT: I fixed it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 21:17:48 by E.T »

Offline E.T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 11:35:11 »
Come on people, leave some comments!  XD

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 13:01:58 »
Alright, here's some criticism... though you may not like what I have to say:

I'm sorry man, but your level has a few issues that drag it down. Your main idea for challenges seems to be putting invisible traps everywhere (spikes and random no-jump/sticky/no-climb objects that you can't notice until it's too late... and even "fake" save points that force you to restart the level if you use them), and that really doesn't make for a fun and enjoyable experience. Some of the challenges are just trial-and-error fests, and that's just unfair and frustrating. There are some places where you can't even tell if the walls are solid or not. Trust me, there are a lot of better ways to make a hard challenge.

I also found a few wall-swims and void screens:

x1007y991: If you double-jump to the left, you'll fall through the void screens and get stuck on top of the spike traps at x1006y993. This is probably the same bug that Willster reported.

x1005y1001: The teleport takes you into the floor of the first area (wall-swim)

Also:

Spoiler: Final part (click to show/hide)

On the plus side, graphics are nice. I liked the custom tilesets you made. Also, not all the challenges were trial-and-error... there were parts of the level that I did enjoy. I wouldn't say this is a bad level, but it could be much better if there weren't so many random invisible traps.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, but this was my honest opinion. I hope you find it useful for improving this level or for any future projects.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline E.T

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 14:17:13 »
Alright, here's some criticism... though you may not like what I have to say:

I'm sorry man, but your level has a few issues that drag it down. Your main idea for challenges seems to be putting invisible traps everywhere (spikes and random no-jump/sticky/no-climb objects that you can't notice until it's too late... and even "fake" save points that force you to restart the level if you use them), and that really doesn't make for a fun and enjoyable experience. Some of the challenges are just trial-and-error fests, and that's just unfair and frustrating. There are some places where you can't even tell if the walls are solid or not. Trust me, there are a lot of better ways to make a hard challenge.

I also found a few wall-swims and void screens:

x1007y991: If you double-jump to the left, you'll fall through the void screens and get stuck on top of the spike traps at x1006y993. This is probably the same bug that Willster reported.

x1005y1001: The teleport takes you into the floor of the first area (wall-swim)

Also:

Spoiler: Final part (click to show/hide)

On the plus side, graphics are nice. I liked the custom tilesets you made. Also, not all the challenges were trial-and-error... there were parts of the level that I did enjoy. I wouldn't say this is a bad level, but it could be much better if there weren't so many random invisible traps.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, but this was my honest opinion. I hope you find it useful for improving this level or for any future projects.

Thank you for the criticism, now I know some more for future levels. :) allthough, the whole point of the level was actually that it was supposed to be frustrating, and simply annoying, just for the fun of it :P which is the reason for the random "No jump" and "sticky" objects and so on, and the ambience?
it was put there just because it was the most annoying sound we could find. we weren't that serious when we started making this. but then we kind of got into it, and tried to make an okay map if you ask us. but I guess we still kept the whole "annoying" part, which is what we intended the map to be in the first place, when we had no plans on even putting it out here. but all in all, thanks for the critique, and oh, thanks for telling us that we misspelled that in the ending. we might fix that, or not. :P
but I guess to sum it up: This was at first a map that was intended to simply annoy and frustrate people, that we then later tried to make something atleast a little more serious out of :P

Offline pLox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 14:22:38 »
I enjoyed this map. despite the small wall-swims which I also encountered, it was a nice little map if you ask me :). I'm guessing you guys are pretty new to this, which makes this map a very good job for first timers. I get the whole "annoying" thing, and yes, it was frustrating sometimes, but not too frustrating to not make it enjoyable :). it was generally fun to play if you ask me, I'd like to see more levels from you guys.

Offline E.T

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 14:24:36 »
I enjoyed this map. despite the small wall-swims which I also encountered, it was a nice little map if you ask me :). I'm guessing you guys are pretty new to this, which makes this map a very good job for first timers. I get the whole "annoying" thing, and yes, it was frustrating sometimes, but not too frustrating to not make it enjoyable :). it was generally fun to play if you ask me, I'd like to see more levels from you guys.

Thanks for the nice feedback :) and yes we are pretty new to this. but we have made some maps before we just didn't put them up :P but we're glad you enjoyed most part of it :P seeing that some parts were designed just to make you annoyed
'

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 17:12:50 »
but I guess to sum it up: This was at first a map that was intended to simply annoy and frustrate people, that we then later tried to make something atleast a little more serious out of :P

I guess this is why the beginning was the most annoying part of the whole level :P  This is generally considered bad level design, even if it's done on purpose. It's also confusing when you mix those parts with normal gameplay sections. Maybe if you made your point clear at the intro cutscene...

Then again, it might be just that random trial-and-error gameplay isn't my cup of tea. I can only enjoy it on small doses (or when I'm the one watching :P ). Maybe it's because I've played too many of those almost impossible, enemy-ridden and extremely frustrating levels that many new authors feel the urge to make on their first try (although I must confess I did this too, when I started working on Doom maps many years ago X) ).
Some KS levels by me:

Offline E.T

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 17:04:04 »

Then again, it might be just that random trial-and-error gameplay isn't my cup of tea.

well, I guess we all have different taste :)