[Enviromental/puzzler] Glum Buster

• 25 Replies
[Enviromental/puzzler] Glum Buster
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:51:14 »
Type:
Its has nice graphics and its mainly to do with puzzles

Description:
Glum Buster is an absolute amazing game. For me it was like playing knytt for the first time. Glum (i dont want to keep saying buster) is about an mysterious person in a labcoat who somehow gets transported to another world. You mainly use the "w,a,s,d" keys and left and right click of the mouse. Aparently people thought this would be like seiklus and got let down  O_o (i found this at indiegames, and i looked at the coments) so stop wasting your timne reading this and play!

Spoiler: Screenshots: (click to show/hide)

Download:
Direct Download
http://www.glumbuster.com/GlumBuster/GlumBuster.zip

Website
http://www.glumbuster.com/?page_id=35

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: [Enviromental/puzzler] Glum Buster
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:41:24 »
This really is a great game; I played it the day it was released. I really like how each section of the game is defined so well. The constant introduction of new concepts prevents the game from ever getting boring. (I don't want to make any explicit comments about the nature of the game; discovering them is much of the fun.)

Also yeah I don't think the protagonist is wearing a labcoat. Given the context of the "real world" sequences, I think it makes more sense to assume it's a raincoat.
good bye

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:32 »
This really is a great game; I played it the day it was released. I really like how each section of the game is defined so well. The constant introduction of new concepts prevents the game from ever getting boring. (I don't want to make any explicit comments about the nature of the game; discovering them is much of the fun.)

Also yeah I don't think the protagonist is wearing a labcoat. Given the context of the "real world" sequences, I think it makes more sense to assume it's a raincoat.
Raincoat *slaps self in the head* thats the word i was looking for! (labcoat? laughs at myself  XD)
and yes this game is brilliant and deserves reconition
on my top five explorers/enviromental  :D
1.Knytt
2.Glum Buster
3.Cave Story
4.Kaipuu
5. *trying to think of a number five*

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:27:49 »
Very nice game yeah but... hej! I like Seiklus =D
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:04:18 »
I wouldn't really say this game has much exploring in it. Parts of it are open enough to give the impression of nonlinear exploration, but at any given time, there's pretty much only one thing you can (usefully) do, with only a few branches- all of which eventually return to the main game. (Unlike, say, Knytt, where you can get the ship parts in any order you like, and no major game mechanics are introduced after the game start. Or like Kaipuu, which only sets limits on the player based on what powerups they happen to have, and lets the player see potential objectives long before they're reachable. ...and like again the same for An Untitled Story.) Cave Story has the same sort of feeling of pseudo-openness, but it has a straight, conventional plot, so the feeling is more limited.

Actually, I think it would be neat to compare and contrast Knytt and Glum Buster. Or Knytt and any other game. Or Glum Buster and any other game. But now just Knytt and Glum Buster.

KnyttGlum Buster
No dialogueNo dialogue
Totally nonlinearQuasi-nonlinear
Very basic game mechanics; remain constant throughout gameEach area has several new game mechanics
Tutorial features text explaining game controls and mechanicsBrief graphics showing what the controls do; no explicit explanation of mechanics
Collect several ship parts; needed to winCollect 250-odd grins; nonessential

Et cetera.
good bye

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 12:22:23 »
I wouldn't really say this game has much exploring in it. Parts of it are open enough to give the impression of nonlinear exploration, but at any given time, there's pretty much only one thing you can (usefully) do, with only a few branches- all of which eventually return to the main game. (Unlike, say, Knytt, where you can get the ship parts in any order you like, and no major game mechanics are introduced after the game start. Or like Kaipuu, which only sets limits on the player based on what powerups they happen to have, and lets the player see potential objectives long before they're reachable. ...and like again the same for An Untitled Story.) Cave Story has the same sort of feeling of pseudo-openness, but it has a straight, conventional plot, so the feeling is more limited.

Actually, I think it would be neat to compare and contrast Knytt and Glum Buster. Or Knytt and any other game. Or Glum Buster and any other game. But now just Knytt and Glum Buster.

KnyttGlum Buster
No dialogueNo dialogue
Totally nonlinearQuasi-nonlinear
Very basic game mechanics; remain constant throughout gameEach area has several new game mechanics
Tutorial features text explaining game controls and mechanicsBrief graphics showing what the controls do; no explicit explanation of mechanics
Collect several ship parts; needed to winCollect 250-odd grins; nonessential

Et cetera.
i like it how they both have no dialogue.. it makes it feel....nice (there is no word which explains it) :)
also you made your point about the exploration thing  :^^: quite descriptive  :^^:

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 15:16:32 »
I actually saw this on TIGsource first. XD
grao!

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 21:27:31 »
This game is surprisingly great! :)

Offline farik

• let's make some $
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 21:44:02 »
i got this from idiegames when it came out, its really good.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 01:09:31 »
i got this from idiegames when it came out, its really good.
Ditto
Indiegames is my source for all the good indiegames  :nuts:

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 04:05:30 »
This is a very nice game.  It does begin to get rather tedious during the second half, but overall it's very nice.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 23:03:57 »
I like the game, and I also like the message the creator is trying to get out, and that's basically to help other people. Thanks for the link.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 18:17:26 »
Cool game! I'm at the second last level but have kinda given up due to it sucking in hours of my time at a time!

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 10:13:18 »
This game doesn't make sense at all...

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 18:53:23 »
this game is awesome!
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)