[Small/Challenge/Hard] - YAL (Yet Another Level)

• 10 Replies
[Small/Challenge/Hard] - YAL (Yet Another Level)
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:45:44 »
My first attempt. I'm no designer of games or anything else as will, I'm sure, be evident. Small and straightforward. Not difficult if you have perfected your jump-kick. Tough enough that you're guaranteed to die a few times, though. A relatively linear and uninspired design that might amuse for a few minutes. Feedback is welcomed...

http://www.knyttlevels.com/levels/jim%20in%20austin%20-%20YAL.knytt.bin

Offline Evil

• View Profile
Re: [Small/Challenge/Hard] - YAL (Yet Another Level)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:05:00 »
Its pretty. The jumps are kinda annoying for me.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:11:11 by Evil »

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 06:04:23 »
I was just about to finish a level called "just another level." Have you been stalking me? :P

I'll download this.
Alright finished. Some criticism:

Numerous SGEs in the caves.
Don't use the white lines as platforms.
Try to avoid using luck based or requires previous knowledge stuff, such as the ghost blocks part.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:20:24 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:16:14 »
I "borrowed" the naming convention from Unix, as in YACC (Yet Another Compiler Compiler).

BTW, just exactly how do you get "spoilers" into a post? What do you enter into the editor?

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 06:21:24 »
BTW, just exactly how do you get "spoilers" into a post? What do you enter into the editor?
Code: [Select]
[spoiler=spoilerdescription]Text[/spoiler]produces:
Spoiler: spoilerdescription (click to show/hide)
Lurk more.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 06:53:50 »
Theres also a: if you need anything.  :)
(psst click on the ^image ! )

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 06:54:59 »
Numerous SGEs in the caves.
Don't use the white lines as platforms.
Try to avoid using luck based or requires previous knowledge stuff, such as the ghost blocks part.

SGEs?

Yeah, the lines make for difficult navigation but I thought they were attractive. And they do require a bit of skill to get past. I will avoid them in the future should I have another go at it.

As for the ghost blocks, I considered these to be "leaps of faith". You simply can't progress without at least trying them. There is no alternative to leaping into the void. Same with the ending.

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:31:55 »
SGEs?
Slight graphical errors: the background disappears on corners.

And they do require a bit of skill to get past.
Not really; they just annoy.

As for the ghost blocks, I considered these to be "leaps of faith". You simply can't progress without at least trying them. There is no alternative to leaping into the void. Same with the ending.
I mean when you don't know there are three spikey ghosts you have to jump over. See, here's what happens:
"Alright. I'm just gonna jump over this gap to the next screen. Oh man! There are some enemies comming towards me at high speed. I better back out and re-enter. Aw crud, I fell in the lava."
Now, if the section before that point was extremely hard, it could really piss someone off.

I suppose it may also be possible to wallswim using the ghost blocks. But it would be extremely difficult.
Lurk more.

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 14:43:40 »
Thanks for the input. It hadn't occurred to me that a wall swim might be possible on the ghost block transition. It would probably be a brief one ending in a sizzle, in any case. The three little ghosties do surprise but I purposefully made them easily avoidable with a single jump. As for the corners, I was using a Nifflas' Machine tile set. There is this bit of cruft you can add to corners to soften the angles. Is that what you are referring to? And yeah, in retrospect, the pretty glowy things were probably a mistake. But then again I never intended to produce a level. I started playing with the editor out of curiosity and it just kind of happened. Fun though...

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 18:57:08 »
The three little ghosties do surprise but I purposefully made them easily avoidable with a single jump.
Yes, but if you aren't prepared for that, you'll get stuck in the tunnel and die.

Spoiler: About the SGE (click to show/hide)

Lurk more.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 02:01:19 »
Pretty good for a first attempt, but...
Spoiler: SGEs and wallswims. (click to show/hide)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.