[Difficult][Medium] The Great Escape

• 17 Replies

Offline Nightshade

• Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
    • View Profile
[Difficult][Medium] The Great Escape
« on: May 25, 2011, 20:46:30 »
Hello
A little over 2 years ago I was studying a 15 ECTS intro course to Level Design at the University of Gotland (Sweden).
One of our assignments was to create a level using the editor for Knytt Stories.
The only restriction we were given was that we could NOT use ANY text in the level - the entire story had to be told in other ways.
I bypassed this restriction by having "cutscenes" at the start and end of the level.

Story:
The story is very simple. The evil totalitarian "bad guys" are kidnapping the friendly citizens of "the land" and placing them in a huge underground prison for reasons unknown. One day the lock to your cell starts bugging - switching on and off - and you decide to escape.

The level is made out of several stories - and the closer you get to the surface, and your escape - the friendlier the music is.
I tried to implement many different obsticles and give the superpowers at a steady rate to the player. It's not very hard to find the way out, but some parts are quite difficult to get by. The level is of medium size.

Download it here:
The Great Escape

My teacher/lecturer told me the level had a nice and good design, but that he thought it was too hard. ;) But imo it's nothing compared to the [lunatic] levels on this forum.

I hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 14:51:22 by Nightshade »

Offline powderj

• View Profile
Re: [Difficult][Medium] The Great Escape
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 23:34:27 »
So I extracted the files but I can't find the actual level to install.  Do you mind walking a computer illiterate person through this?

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:47:58 »
ditto here

Offline Nightshade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:55:52 »
Just unzip everything into your Knytt Stories/Worlds/ -folder and it's ready to be played

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 13:51:43 »
Please release this as a .knytt.bin file.

You can do this by going into the editor, and choose menu Level -> Compress.

This will become a zipfile by itself, and knytt stories can then safely install it.

This is a requirement for releasing levels, so I will remove your link to the zipfile now.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nightshade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 14:51:33 »
Ok, I've done that now

Offline powderj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 19:07:11 »
Thanks for redoing the upload.  I really enjoyed this one.  There were a handful of bugs but nothing that made the game unplayable. 

Offline Nightshade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 19:20:51 »
Yea there are some areas where you can fall into another scene so you get stuck on the wall (and get that bugged inside-a-wall -movement).

It was the first level I did for Knytt Stories and after playing the game again I think I want to make a new one - better ofc.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 20:49:04 »
For a first level, this was actually pretty intense. Good challenges, especially the
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Nightshade

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 21:13:47 »
Thank you!
Comments like these motivates a lot :)
I'm already in the planning stage for a new level. This time I'll spend a lot more time on the story (and it wont be restricted to just images/cutscenes), and the overall level/story will be quite large - atm maybe too large.

It's a sci-fi story (that doesn't take place in space, duh :D) about a knytt on a legendary journey that everyone thought was impossible.
It will take some time to create but since I'm an experienced game developer now (3D artist but still) I know that I'm much faster than I was when I first started up the Knytt Stories level editor over 2 years ago. Stay tuned!

Offline RichardJ

• View Profile
    • My Flickr photostream
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 21:31:01 »
I look forward to whatever you come out with next. You did a good job here explaining the story without words (I deliberately skipped your explanatory paragraph above, only reading it after I'd completed the level, and I was right). It was a good difficulty too, not too hard but presented quite a challenge. Well done!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 20:14:39 »
That was great! I loved the atmosphere. Looking forward to another level from you.
Numerous wallswims were already mentioned, KSLC is good for finding them. The level also doesn't follow the naming rule of "Author - Level" and in x997y995 it's not obvious that falling down kills you.

Offline hqql

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 17:03:36 »
I'm playing it right now and it's pretty nice, albeit a bit repetetive.

But I have to tell you those backwards walljumps up are driving me INSANE, it's ok to use them but if you're gonna say it's a Medium level, at least use more save points. Oh and I keep falling through floors or walls here and there, I can't imagine I'm the only one.

This does however allow me to travel through walls (it's a bit awkward to navigate through bricks but it's doable) see pic 1 & 2, and can get me to areas I'm not supposed to get, see pic 3.

You MIGHT wanna learn from that :P

Edit: Finished the level, it was ok. Do hope the problems mentioned above will be taken into consideration when making your next level. (If you ever make one :P)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 16:34:20 by hqql »

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 04:24:54 »
I just got the eyeball but I feel as if I'm also supposed to have the blue ball (double jump) by this point and I don't. and the eyeball gave me the phantom brick to go up a level - to advance from there I need the double jump - or another phantom brick that I'm not seeing. and that's a big pain in the a-- cause the maze is massive and I have NO idea where i'm supposed to go. Am I not supposed to have the blue ball and in that case WHERE do I go. Or am I supposed to have it - if that's the case - I'd move up I guess or over the long non-blinking parallel lasers - but now I'm just stuck. and pissed - after investing so much time.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 06:18:51 »
This was a great level! In a few places it might have been nice to have some more save points.

seattalite:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:21:00 by millsmess »