Beginner's questions

• 8 Replies

Offline JNB

• View Profile
Beginner's questions
« on: September 08, 2010, 14:26:04 »
Hello, I have started scetching on what could be my first KS level, and some questions come to mind wich I can't seem to find the answer to in the forum. I figured I  am going to have more of them in the future, and hope to get some help here! Perhaps this thread could help other noobs like me as well..

Q1:
Is there a maximum number of endings you can have in a level?
(My guess is no, but as I haven't made any levels before,  it's still just a guess.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 15:22:40 by JNB »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Endings
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 15:58:39 »
I believe that alternative endings are cut-scenes with a wintile on them. Cut-scenes are made using names instead of numbers, which leads no limit. (well, technically there's a limit, but it would be so many billions, and I assume anyone's creativity is more limited to that :P)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline JNB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 23:41:15 »
Allright, thank you! Now I'm off to find out what all these cutscenes and wintiles are all about ;)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 16:41:36 »
Don't forget that sometimes it creates a much better effect to have the ending placed within the game world rather than in a cutscene (as in the The Machine).

Offline JNB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 21:33:43 »
Thanks for the tip! I am looking around the fourm to find more, but if anyone has any more pointers for a beginner regarding editing of levels (not just just the endings) they'd like to post it will be appreciated!

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:08:26 »
the bunch of stickied topics in this very subforum (KS levels Editing support) should be obvious pointers for beginners.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline JNB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 15:04:16 »
Yes they are, I was thinking along the lines of general tips that people perhaps felt weren't properly covered in this subforum. But I guess that is too unspecific, so here is something i haven't figured out yet:

Regarding tiles, is there any way to place them independently from the "grid" they set themselves in? Say for example I want to put a tile two pixels higher than it places itself, is this possible? Or do I have to make a new tile? (Feel free to elaborate ;) )

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 15:46:45 »
Or do I have to make a new tile?

Yes. If you have to make modifications to the default tilesets, you can make a new tileset with the modified tiles; however, you should ask for permission to the tileset author(s) if you release a level with them (I think Nifflas gave permission to alter his own tilesets though), and of course credit them as needed.

I'd suggest you make separate topics for any further questions you may have (unless they're related); it'll be easier for other users with the same questions to find the answers.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline JNB

• View Profile
Re: Beginner's questions
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 16:07:51 »
I'd suggest you make separate topics for any further questions you may have (unless they're related).
Suggestion taken.
Anyway, its good to see that a forum for such a small unknown game is alive, without it I would probably never even begin to make my level.