Night Game announcement!

• 119 Replies

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
Re: Night Game announcement!
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2009, 01:35:21 »
In the webpage with the trailer, someone said in the comments that they thought Nifflas made this because of the graphics style.
Nifflas style is unique and people did suspect it was him but the would have been confused about the whole Nicalis thing.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2009, 02:16:59 »
I'm totally with LPChip here; a Night Game forum here would stick out like a sore thumb.

Get into your heads already: Nifflas has sold all the rights to Night Game to another company. The real owners of Night Game have opened their own support forum for the game - that is the official support forum.  At best, Nifflas' Support forum  could be an unofficial fan-forum whose majority is clueless about the game, hosted here only because the forum owner happened to be the director and artist of the game owned by someone else. 

Supporting foreign-owned games was never what this community was about. In the future, whenever Nifflas has involvement in someone else's property, will it automatically be hosted here for support? I don't see why it should be.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:20:21 by SiamJai »

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2009, 02:22:16 »
You have a point, there, indeed... xD

Offline just another guy

• i need to get a picture soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2009, 02:25:28 »
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/nightgame

a petition already? by googoogjoob? that was fast.

I love a good demonstration, but before you petition to Nicalis;
Can Nicalis even do anything anymore, or is it out of their hands?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:27:17 by just another guy »

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2009, 03:05:14 »
guys, lets stop calling it night game. Its skyming from now on.

Offline Dynamite

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2009, 03:52:18 »
Woo, I signed the petition!  :D

Offline EarthBound015

• Meeeeork!
    • View Profile
    • Pick on the Bully's YouTube Channel!
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2009, 05:12:46 »
I think that this is done and over with, a petition will do not a thing.  NG is coming out on Wii-ware only, like it or not.  Cussing and fussing is only going to make matters worse, blaming things on this company and that company does nothing either.  Sure, it sucks, but leave it be.  Nifflas has expressed how he feels and that is that.  Is this Nifflas' fault, no.  Is this Nicalis' fault, no.  Business is business, and that is how things work.
Teeeheee

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2009, 05:33:27 »
I think that this is done and over with, a petition will do not a thing.  NG is coming out on Wii-ware only, like it or not.  Cussing and fussing is only going to make matters worse, blaming things on this company and that company does nothing either.  Sure, it sucks, but leave it be.  Nifflas has expressed how he feels and that is that.  Is this Nifflas' fault, no.  Is this Nicalis' fault, no.  Business is business, and that is how things work.

It's bad PR to ignore a petition supported by potential customers, especially if all Nicalis has to do to satisfy the demands of the petition is to publicly provide a coherent reason for the lack of a PC version of the game. (Then again, if the reason given is "because we want money", then that'd probably be even worse PR.) Doing nothing in a situation like this allows a company to continue ignoring the demands of potential consumers.

EDIT: The GoNintendo post with the trailer in it doesn't use the word "Nifflas" once. :/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:56:45 by googoogjoob »
good bye

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2009, 05:41:48 »
I'm with googoogjoob. Sure the company has control over it, but can't we atleast try to change their mind?
Lurk more.

Offline roto13

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2009, 07:52:09 »

It's bad PR to ignore a petition supported by potential customers, especially if all Nicalis has to do to satisfy the demands of the petition is to publicly provide a coherent reason for the lack of a PC version of the game. (Then again, if the reason given is "because we want money", then that'd probably be even worse PR.) Doing nothing in a situation like this allows a company to continue ignoring the demands of potential consumers.

I think most people are mature enough to respect the fact that the video game industry is, in fact, an industry, and most game developers want to make money. Maybe they looked at World of Goo's 90% piracy rate and thought "Yeah, let's not do that." "Because we want money" is a perfectly valid reason. (By the way, internet petitions are a waste of bandwidth and never accomplish anything.)

Most people who care about this game are just excited about it. The only people I've seen that are butthurt about it being WiiWare-only are on here, and like two people on NeoGAF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353843
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:56:23 by roto13 »

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2009, 08:09:34 »
Of course people are going to be disappointed if they can't play it  :sigh:.
That stands to reason, we would be excited otherwise.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2009, 08:25:14 »

I think most people are mature enough to respect the fact that the video game industry is, in fact, an industry, and most game developers want to make money. Maybe they looked at World of Goo's 90% piracy rate and thought "Yeah, let's not do that." "Because we want money" is a perfectly valid reason. (By the way, internet petitions are a waste of bandwidth and never accomplish anything.)

Most people who care about this game are just excited about it. The only people I've seen that are butthurt about it being WiiWare-only are on here, and like two people on NeoGAF.

Regardless of piracy rate, World of Goo has been very successful- and that piracy rate doesn't apply only to World of Goo; it'd apply to any popular commercial video game release. Thinking that attempting to prevent piracy will increase sales is extremely wrong. Most people who pirate a game wouldn't've bought the game in the first place. (Also, there's probably some way to pirate WiiWare games. If there isn't, there will be one soon.)

And the "because we want money" argument, regardless of validity, doesn't make sense here. There's no way limiting the distribution of a game is going to make more money.

I expect that anyone who has eagerly anticipated this game, and has a PC but not a Wii, will be at least a little disappointed- I can't see how you wouldn't be. (There would be very, very little disappointment if it had been announced much earlier that it would be Wii-only. The IGF site still lists NG as "WiiWare/Windows PC". That IGN article from February 4th still lists NG as PC/Wii.)

There's hardly anything to be lost by starting a petition.

And of course there's a concentration of disappointment here. This forum (in its previous incarnation) was where Night Game was first hinted at, and the main channel for release of hints about the nature of the game. For over a year, there's been an unchallenged presumption that Night Game would be released for PC, the same as every other Nifflas game, and most indie games in general.
good bye

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2009, 09:40:22 »
Wow, what a bunch of obnoxious, negative people.   I'm glad I don't post on forums like that.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2009, 10:32:18 »
Wow, what a bunch of obnoxious, negative people.   I'm glad I don't post on forums like that.

Look out, they're watching us...
 :shocked:

Seriously though, I really don't understand what the issue would be with releasing a PC version.
Like someone said on the neogaf site,

Quote from: pakkit
They don't lose money from piracy... That 10% still gives them a profit.
That, in conjunction with Goog's previous statement,

Regardless of piracy rate, World of Goo has been very successful- and that piracy rate doesn't apply only to World of Goo; it'd apply to any popular commercial video game release. Thinking that attempting to prevent piracy will increase sales is extremely wrong. Most people who pirate a game wouldn't've bought the game in the first place. (Also, there's probably some way to pirate WiiWare games. If there isn't, there will be one soon.)

would be more than enough for any level-headed living being to give it some thought.
Let's hope Nicalis doesn't make a foolish mistake that with ultimately cause them to lose potential money.
It's not too late to retract any statements made so far...
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Dynamite

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2009, 11:27:26 »
Wow, what a bunch of obnoxious, negative people.   I'm glad I don't post on forums like that.

Did anybody actually READ their replies?!
Here are some quotes from them:

Spoiler: Swearing in Quote (click to show/hide)

nifflas was already on my 'complete douchebag' list.. so whatever.

:sad:  :(
That's gone too far, we should stop complaining about it being on Wii only.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:28:57 by Dynamite »