[V1.0a] Knytt Stories DS

• 235 Replies

Offline Looki

• View Profile
Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE 1] Knytt Stories DS
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2010, 06:56:25 »
I'm glad that you've come that far with your project. :)
Sorry if it has been asked already, but is there any way to run this with an emulator? It relies on external files...
I can't find my DS. :/

EDIT: I downloaded desmume and it now says 'no dldi' with PAlib's default font :P2.
I think I read about that earlier. Googling for a solution.

EDIT1: I *almost* got it working.

First, download DeSmuME
http://www.robsgames.com/nds/DeSmuME.0.9.4-win32.zip

Then download this dldi file:
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downloads/mpcf.dldi

Download this zip, unzip it and run the exe.
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downloads/dlditool-win32-gui.zip

Click on the first [...] and locate the folder of the DLDI. It should now appear in the combo box.
Click on the second [...] and select KSDS RC1.nds.
Now click [Patch], it should succeed.

Now, run DeSmuME.
Go to Emulation > GBA Slot.
Select 'Compact Flash' in the combo box.
Click on the 'folder' radio button, then click OK.

Now load the ROM, it should take a while, and then the screen flashes randomly.
At least it doesn't say 'no dldi'. That's how far I got.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:19:59 by Looki »

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2010, 10:35:36 »
btw are you allowed to release the level?  :P2

Oops...  :oops: I actually did it without asking for permission, because I will delete this version in one week (final version will contain only the machine and the tutorial, as usual), and the level looked really nice for testing the final build... OK, I will ask egomassive and if he tells me to delete it, I will delete it from the bundle  :).

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2010, 10:59:08 »
I'm glad that you've come that far with your project. :)
Sorry if it has been asked already, but is there any way to run this with an emulator? It relies on external files...
I can't find my DS. :/

Actually, I have been using a "basic" version of KSDS for testing purposes (A virtual filesystem containing the "test" level of KSDS appended to the DS binary using THIS technology). I tried to make the game run on emulators with support for FAT but it didn't work. Still, I know there are ways to do it, but I focused on making the game and forgot about this issue  :oops: .

If you want to see how KSDS looks in a emu, HERE IS the rom of the game that is used for testing purposes, and I think it only works with no$gba.

NOTE: Looki, actually your approach can work, you need to have the .nds rom and the "data" folder in the same folder, like this:

root/
  +--- ksds.nds
  +---data/

However, every time I tried that, I run into a certain bug: if the folder had too much files (e.g. the Tileset folder) the game will not find random files  :(.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:06:31 by rrc2soft »

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2010, 11:03:06 »
I GOT IT WORKING IN AN EMU!! WOOT!
To get it working (albeit slowly, probably mah CPU though), Download the iDeaS emulator. and the R4(DS) Revoloution for DS dldipatch from chism. Then patch ksds with it. Open iDeaS, go into properties and find the DLDI dropdown menu select R4-Revoloution For DS. Run the rom. it should work
YAY! =]
BTW, this is GREAT rrc, brillant!
Have my first-ever :hiddenstar:
Trust me, that's an acheivement!

EDIT:
tried the tutorial, and got a KSDS Internal Error:
see attachment
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:06:08 by a clockwork lemon »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2010, 11:14:47 »
EDIT:
tried the tutorial, and got a KSDS Internal Error:
see attachment

That's what I meant with the "I run into a certain bug"  :( . Try the version I just posted, and only after that you can give me that star  ;)

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2010, 11:23:21 »
nah, you probably deserve 2.
The machine is up and running (seemingly, i'm still in the cutscene)
A Knytt In time also probably works, It seemed to hang on a whit screen, but lets be honest I anit very patient.

NOTVERYNINJAEDIT:
Froze after cutscene (I think)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:27:33 by AClockworkLemon »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2010, 11:25:36 »
I GOT IT WORKING IN AN EMU!! WOOT!
To get it working (albeit slowly, probably mah CPU though), Download the iDeaS emulator. and the R4(DS) Revoloution for DS dldipatch from chism. Then patch ksds with it. Open iDeaS, go into properties and find the DLDI dropdown menu select R4-Revoloution For DS. Run the rom. it should work

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know I had to set that option in the emulator. Unfortunately the game 'runs' at 1-2 FPS for me, so it's not very useful.

Anyway, the game seems to work great so far: I'm playing A Knytt in Time and there have been no problems so far (it takes a bit to load the first cutscene, at first I thought it froze).

I'd like to know what the game does in case there isn't enough space for the optimization files on the card: I skimmed the code, but couldn't figure it out. Thanks in advance.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:33 »
Nope, your test don't work in the slightest... or do I need to DLDI it?

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2010, 11:45:04 »
Anyway, the game seems to work great so far: I'm playing A Knytt in Time and there have been no problems so far (it takes a bit to load the first cutscene, at first I thought it froze).

During that time the game is making a "lookup table" to easily locate the screens within the uncompressed map.bin. Large levels without the optimization are quite unplayable (my goal was "If I can play Gaia, then it is OK")

I'd like to know what the game does in case there isn't enough space for the optimization files on the card: I skimmed the code, but couldn't figure it out. Thanks in advance.

If there is not enough space for the uncompressed files, the optimization screen shows a "red ball" instead of a "green ball" and the situation is shown to the player. The screen you seek is ds_g_map2raw, and the "error" state (search in the code) is _DS_MAP2RAW_ENDERR. After that, the engine is prepared to not use the uncompressed versions if they are not found.

Nope, your test don't work in the slightest... or do I need to DLDI it?

rename the .ds.gba to .nds, and/or use no$gba 2.6 or (if you have it) 2.6a.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2010, 11:49:33 »
right.
one more thingy,
Does anyone know how to re-map keys in iDeaS? I can open the menu to do so, but any changes I make are not saved.... (and yes, i pressed "OK" X) )
I can edit them in the ini, but I dont know what values to replace it with

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2010, 12:00:18 »
I can edit them in the ini, but I dont know what values to replace it with

Here are those values:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645540%28VS.85%29.aspx

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2010, 12:12:31 »
WARGH! It overwrites them everytime!
I would use the defauld mapping, but the move keys seem to be mapped to the cursors according to the website you posted, but they are mapped to the numpad cursors. Also, my laptop keyboard dosn't have a numpad =(

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2010, 17:31:14 »
rrc2soft, your test rom works fine. :) However, my approach still doesn't. I have the same directory setup as you.

AClockworkLemon, iDeaS just crashes for me. it doesn't even have a dldi menu.
Got it from http://www.ndsemulator.com/nintendo-ds/ideas-download.htm

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2010, 19:06:59 »
^ That's a very old version. You could try this one, but I couldn't disable the debugger.

EDIT: I got some Flag/Warp issues with A Knytt in Time. Tomorrow I'll check whether it's a problem with the level itself or not.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 19:20:25 by AA »
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2010, 19:27:43 »
EDIT: I got some Flag/Warp issues with A Knytt in Time. Tomorrow I'll check whether it's a problem with the level itself or not.

Whenever you can, tell me the screens involved and the flags involved  :) . I have till next friday to do bug-hunting!  X)