New member, first level

• 7 Replies
New member, first level
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:50:33 »
I'm not sure what all is necessary for me to put down, but the bare minimum I've seen on other topics is a download link and basic info about the level.

Basic info:

Level Name: Space Adventure
Difficulty: Normal (could swing towards Easy or Hard though)
Size: Small (perhaps Very Small; 19 rooms total)
Category: Challenge/Misc
Warning: There are a few areas where you may get glitched. When I discovered it was possible to do that while testing, I made it so those areas purposefully glitched. Challenge within the Warning: Can you find all 19 rooms? (it's not necessary to visit all rooms to beat the level)
All Tilesets and Music used came with the level editor.

Link: http://knyttlevels.com/levels/EddieDeanofIgnorance%20-%20Space%20Adventure.knytt.bin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:56:37 by EddieDeanofIgnorance »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: New member, first level
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 12:23:54 »
I'm only started now but there is one major flaw, I'll update this post or make a new one if I find anything else:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:34:27 by Raicuparta »

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 12:31:52 »
I shall respond to your spoiler with my spoiler.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:37:10 »
Ok:

The level has a nice atmosphere and even with a small numer of screens it was interesting. Perhaps there was a bit too much black, which made me have to guess where there was floor all the time, and guessing is a bad thing in games like this. I think you should try to improve this level a bit before moving on to another one :)

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 13:05:55 »

I'll fix the black floors in the areas that you're meant to find, provided there's no opening that suggests a straight path. :) And maybe come back to it and add more as I feel like it (being my first level, you can kind of understand how I wouldn't want to do too much with it, just enough to get the hang of using the editor and make some mistakes to learn from). But thank you for playing my level, I appreciate the feedback.  C)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 05:31:17 »
A decent first level. I had trouble climbing the walls near the hologram, it's like you were only meant to climb on one side. I suppose the wall-swim screens were better than void screens, but I'm not sure they're a good idea. We're meant to die after entering them, right? Dieing isn't fun. Still, a good first effort and welcome to the community.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 08:49:54 »
A decent first level. I had trouble climbing the walls near the hologram, it's like you were only meant to climb on one side.
Yeah, I don't know how to fix that aside from trying to find a program where I can make my own rope-tiles. =/ When I did the climbing, though, it was only the "ropes" that were aligned to the right side that gave me trouble if I tried to climb them on the left side. The ones aligned to the left side didn't give me any trouble at all.
I suppose the wall-swim screens were better than void screens, but I'm not sure they're a good idea. We're meant to die after entering them, right? Dieing isn't fun.
I know dieing isn't fun, but the rooms are meant to feel like the ghosts are angry with you and have you trapped. I actually downloaded a level that had some areas where I ended up wall-swimming a lot and found out wall-swimming isn't much of a trap if you know how to work it, so I'll probably change the room designs in the next version...they'll still only be deadly if you can see ghosts (and only accessible if you can see ghosts).
Still, a good first effort and welcome to the community.
Thank you.  :^^:

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:03:44 »
It's a good first level. It looks like you're understanding it well. Note: