Question about copyright

• 18 Replies

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about copyright
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 12:54:29 »
    Hum, the policy about removing stuff from directly Nifflas-Forum-related servers is
    • first to protect this Forum, and
    • second to protect anybody who used stuff without having the permission to do so from themselves, practically, because they might not have thought it over properly.
    So if it was only the first point we care about, I think it wouldn't be too great of a problem to reject reliability for any linked content (disclaimers about the staff not taking any liability for linked material exist on a lot of boards or similar places, as far as I know).
    But since we also concern ourselves with the second point... It's a bit unclear (for now, I guess)*. To just put up such a disclaimer could be some kind of a time saver for the staff, I suppose, but it'd be a bit nicer to take care and protect as much as possible of our dear herd of forum member :sheep:, right? X) ;)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 13:10:43 »
Meaning that all links to download copyrighted content will be removed from the forum, if I'm not mistaken.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 15:36:40 »
I've written this before, and I'll do this again.

The first reason why we're this strict about illegal activities, is because we want to protect each and everyone of you.

We do not allow illegal content in a level because hosting illegal content can get your hosting service to be cancelled immediatelly without notice. Since Nifflas hosts this forum and J hosts knyttlevels (and also his trackmania database) having just one illegal file can get all that *poof* gone. No warning, no nothing. It takes one complaint.

However, since we put this stand so vastly, the chances for this to happen are smaller and smaller.

We do not have the time to check each and every level for illegal content, but there will be means to report illegal content inside a level if found. Also a disclaimer will be put (but that unfortunatelly haven't helped much. We have alot of read me first, rules post, blah blah, but there are always people not reading them.

So thats the reason why we're this strict for not having illegal content. Hosting it simply is one of the violations in the end-user agreement you sign when getting a hosting. It are in fact Nifflas and J's responsibility to prevent illegal content from being hosted. As Webmaster, I do that for him.

Now you say, but a link isn't hosting, right?

Thats true. And although I'm still against anything with illegal content, will don't think its necessary to complain against illegal content when the file itself isn't hosted on our servers. There are sharing sites that use the same principle.

However, if we get a complaint from a third party who claims to own the rights to some of the illegal material, your level will be erased directly. Even if your level had such good rating and alot of comments... it'll be *poof* gone. Not even a moment to alter your level.

Conclusion: When the file is hosted on knyttlevels.com directly it cannot have illegal content, and upon finding out by anyone, it gets removed. If you host the file elsewhere, I still don't like it, but as it is less threathning to the website(s) it will be tolerated unless its necessary to get it removed.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 21:41:55 »
Spoiler: long quote (click to show/hide)
Lurk more.