Question about copyright

• 18 Replies

Offline special_d

• View Profile
Question about copyright
« on: April 09, 2009, 23:04:42 »
It's just on knyttlevels.com that the copyrighted levels aren't allowed, right? If you were to upload on another site it would be ok?

[mod]Changed topic title to fit content.[/mod]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 23:57:39 by PONTO »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 23:10:15 »
Err... No. Copyright infringement is forbidden by law everywhere, so it doesn't matter where you put it.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Question
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 23:47:34 »
...I think you mean levels containing copyrighted content not controlled by the level's author. All levels would technically be copyrighted to their author.
good bye

Offline special_d

• View Profile
Re: Question about copyright
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 00:01:29 »
What I mean is that would a link posted on sendspace be deleted if it had copyrighted music not made by the author.

Also, changing the topic title wasn't really necessary  <_<

Offline Teper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 00:06:47 »
What I mean is that would a link posted on sendspace be deleted if it had copyrighted music not made by the author.

Also, changing the topic title wasn't really necessary  <_<

I don't see how sendspace would possibly know about a knytt.bin file containing copyrighted stuff.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 00:55:58 »
What I meant was, will this forum delete it?

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:03:46 »

The forum staff can't delete something hosted on another site, but they can send a complaint to that site's management, and they can remove it. However, the staff can also delete the link to the level.
good bye

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 01:47:51 »

The forum staff can't delete something hosted on another site, but they can send a complaint to that site's management, and they can remove it. However, the staff can also delete the link to the level.

But the question is, will they? And in my opinion it would be extremely unwise to write to the website to remove the file. Please don't do that.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 02:39:11 »
Why not? Suppose the company whose copyrighted material you used downloaded your level. Then, you'd be in a heap of trouble. Somewhere a mod said that if that happens, they have no choice but to give out your IP adress.
Lurk more.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 04:20:34 »
Why not? Suppose the company whose copyrighted material you used downloaded your level. Then, you'd be in a heap of trouble. Somewhere a mod said that if that happens, they have no choice but to give out your IP adress.

So put a disclaimer maybe? Also, what somebody does with a product is their problem, not yours. If a gun is used to kill somebody the maker of the gun doesn't get sued. So what's the problem?

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 04:32:25 »
A disclaimer as in a lie? Also, someone can sell you a product, say a gun, which you can use to kill people. But you can't take the gun apart and start making more just like for your self it if the company has a copyright on it. If you want more guns, you have to buy them.
Lurk more.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 04:34:59 »
No no, not a lie, just something saying that the site doesn't take responsibility if somebody uses copyrighted music. If you don't want it on knyttlevels perhaps someone can use a different site. Just saying.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 04:40:31 »
The point is that you get in trouble, not Knyttlevels.
Lurk more.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 05:11:30 »
The point is that you get in trouble, not Knyttlevels.

By "you" I assume you mean the creator of the game. Otherwise if it were just the individual there wouldn't be any particular reason for the site to contact sendspace or whatever it was uploaded on since the site wouldn't get in trouble.

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 06:32:02 »
Precicely.
Lurk more.