[Challenge][Medium] Pool Party

• 8 Replies

Offline munchybot

• HUZZAH!
    • View Profile
    • my music on Bandcamp!
[Challenge][Medium] Pool Party
« on: July 04, 2010, 04:10:21 »
A short concept level I made in a couple hours. I didn't put much time into the design or anything, I'm just wondering if you guys think this is a concept worth exploring. I have some more ideas for challenges/puzzles if I were to continue building on something like this, and of course it would actually look good.

KA-BLOOEH

It's a very short level, only 11 screens, so just checking it out wouldn't hurt :3
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 20:13:15 by munchybot »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Challenge][Medium] Pool Party
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 20:08:57 »
An interesting concept no doubt, but I think it's too gimmicky to be taken seriously. The fact that Juni swims at different rates for different directions makes it pretty screwy. More than that she moves so slowly that I was glad it was short. I think you executed it about as well as it can be done. Your challenges were creative, the auto-saving was a must, the dialogue was amusing.

Spoiler: areas to improve (click to show/hide)

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 23:45:05 »
The concept of a wallswimming level has been done before, and I must say it never works out.
Lurk more.

Offline munchybot

• HUZZAH!
    • View Profile
    • my music on Bandcamp!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 00:44:48 »
You swim way too slow :(

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:40:05 »
the auto-saving was a must
Yes, but it could have been pulled off better. If you shift to another identical screen instead of staying in one all the time you can avoid a lot of the lag that comes with the current auto-saving.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 23:16:51 »
I'm with egomassive on this one: an interesting concept, and well executed, but not really worthy of more detailed exploration. Wallswim gameplay just isn't particularly engaging  <_<

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 22:03:31 »
Didn't you make a wallswim level, yohji?
Lurk more.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 22:26:14 »
Didn't you make a wallswim level, yohji?

I've made a few levels with wallswims, like most people who make levels ;) but no actual wallswim levels.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:08:13 »
I don't believe it matters, but i once had a level called 'Wallswim Heaven' which was made by someone whose name started with a Y. The first screen was a tutorial to wallswimming, then there was an obstacle course that used wallswims.

About Pool Party:

The urine was a bit... can't find the word for it, and that screen that has 15 robots is a bit difficult.

...why did you even make those in the first place?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:10:31 by StraightFlame »