[Challenge][Hard][Medium] Petrichor

• 8 Replies
[Challenge][Hard][Medium] Petrichor
« on: July 21, 2023, 05:06:50 »

Petrichor is a level i started when i realized two things i've never done in KS - umbrella challenges and rainy areas - go together quite well thematically. It does various things i've rarely or never done, but those two are the ones it focuses on.

Much like in Gustav's Daughter, you explore a few small areas connected through a world map while gathering all of the powerups (except detector). Juni's goal this time around is to find a powerful artifact, hidden away somewhere it was long thought no one could ever hope to retrieve it.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Download

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge][Hard][Medium] Petrichor
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 08:06:19 »
This is a really cute, fun, and stylish level with a great theme, getting at the core of what Knytt Stories is all about! I said this in my beta test notes but I want to repeat for the crowd: SF has mostly done short funny levels like Sooch Story and Zepsiman, but with the funny-yet-epic Speed Man's World we could tell that he has powerful level making talents. This level exemplifies that and feels sort of like SF's "serious" debut and I know that many more cool things are to come from him!!

Stream of consciousness notes which is a thing I'm doing now (last night I sent a long email to another Niffcommunity person describing a movie he had already seen in extreme detail because I am weird so please don't take this personally StraightFlame)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Much love for this level...a star for you!
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 04:47:40 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 10:26:46 »
I thought I had already writen here how much I liked this level but I didn't. It was really funny and one of the levels that just work so perfectly. If you named it Gustav's petrichor you would win the competition for sure.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 21:17:47 »
Absolutely brilliant level! Great work. :)

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 09:20:23 »
Apparently this level is very appealing to KS's small female user base
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 14:11:12 »
i think this is just KS's active userbase
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 15:49:49 by Wibi »

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 18:39:05 »
Don't forget us lurkers!

I always get excited when a new level drops. This one was great. Really well put designed, expertly put together and with cool secrets (not obvious but not TOO hard to find either).

Great work all round!

Offline fabiche

• I love 2D games :-D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 10:24:23 »
Hello SF,
No matter how much I skim (I should rather say "devour") the Knytt stories, I am surprised each time by the creativity, the artistic sensitivity, and most of the time, the general balance that emerges from each level. This is still the case for this one.
Congratulations to you and special mention for the navigation menu between worlds.
Original, pretty and very pleasant. Well done ! looking forward to see the next one :-D
Thnaks