Doing my first Let's Play, selected Saira

• 14 Replies

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
Doing my first Let's Play, selected Saira
« on: December 30, 2009, 01:02:49 »
http://www.youtube.com/user/SCUPizzaBoy

It's my first Let's Play, so I really appreciate feedback. I'd like to sort any problems out right away. I'll probably update once or twice a day. I'm not part of any Let's Play site or anything, I've just watched a lot of them and thought I'd try my hand at it.

Offline victor12

• AKA victory man.
    • View Profile
Re: Doing my first Let's Play, selected Saira
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:30:38 »
aw man... i was going do LP it. <_<
*victorY12 wants his nickname on the forums changed.
*victorY12 is not dead, he's still hanging out on IRC.
Spoiler: this forum's visitors (click to show/hide)
NOTE:If you see it, a new flag will appear
Ask me anything.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:30:58 »
The volume of the game is louder than your voice. You should fix that.

I can hardly hear you to not hearing you at all.

Also when you LP, you should try to play it as if it is your first play, so make common mistakes and then say: aw... its a dead end... :P Also you move through the game as a pro. When you're in the beginning of the game, you don't learn about walljumping yet. Using it really looks weird for someone who just started to play the game.

The idea of LPing is to let the viewer experience the game as if they're playing it for the first time. You obviously need to look into what route you take so you don't spend 3 video's in figuring out what to do, but doing it should be like you're a beginner.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:34:52 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 14:45:08 »
The volume of the game is louder than your voice. You should fix that.

I can hardly hear you to not hearing you at all.

Also when you LP, you should try to play it as if it is your first play, so make common mistakes and then say: aw... its a dead end... :P Also you move through the game as a pro. When you're in the beginning of the game, you don't learn about walljumping yet. Using it really looks weird for someone who just started to play the game.

The idea of LPing is to let the viewer experience the game as if they're playing it for the first time. You obviously need to look into what route you take so you don't spend 3 video's in figuring out what to do, but doing it should be like you're a beginner.

Ah, thanks for that. I do mention that I know what I am doing for the demo planets, and the rest of the game is completely blind, but I guess you couldn't hear it. I'm going to upload a new video with louder volume. I've also got part 2 already recorded with louder volume, but it seems my joystick's noise is more noticeable. I'm looking for a way to fix that.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 18:25:23 »
You may want to speak up in it. Your voice is way too soft. Also, I'm not sure if playing blind is the best idea. The purpose of a Let's Play is to show the viewer how they can beat it. This could be difficult if you don't know what your doing.

Also, when you do something, you should tell the viewer what you're doing.  It doesn't matter that your solving puzzles left and right if you don't explain what you're doing in the puzzle.

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 18:49:51 »
Ok, I'll explain them more from now on. I kind of sped through the beginner area because I ran it so many times trying to get a decent quality video.

I can't really speak any louder without yelling. My mic boost is already on full, and I'm actually amplifying my voice in Audacity several times. I also don't want to drown out the music with my voice, because this game has such good music. I've replaced the first video because it was too quiet. Which one did you see? (I put a note at the start of the replaced one).

I'm listening to all the feedback I'm getting. I've watched lots of Let's Plays, and I do notice that the first few videos of people have problems like mine. I'm hoping to get them out of the way before I reach the end of the demo stars.

I have to disagree with you on running it blind. I typically see three types of Let's Plays:

1) Playing the game having completed it once at least to show how to beat the game, and possibly show off secrets.

2) Playing blind to record initial reactions to the game (see I Wanna Be The Guy). Initial reactions can be entertaining like showing mastered skills.

3) Playing a game, blind or not, by request or as a challenge, sometimes with special honor rules (a pacifist run, low item collection percentage, etc).

I'm going for a blind run, but it can't be completely blind because I have completed the demo. Therefore, it will seem as if I know what I'm doing for the first part, and then it will be blind. I'll make sure to make it clear when it switches to blind.

Oh man, didn't mean to type an essay.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 19:19:54 »
Let's Plays don't have really strict rules to them, what really matters is making them interesting to watch: one can accomplish this by trying to be funny, by offering insight on the game's content or mechanics, by showing some tricks, by making mistakes (intentionally or not)... A lot of ways have been tried.

Not to mention, there's also the option of recording your playthrough first and adding the audio comment later; it might sound slightly unnatural if you're not very good, and it takes longer, but you'll have more freedom, and it's also easier to comment fast-paced games that way, not to mention your commentary can be more refined.

About the mic problem, I think your second video is fine. Keep it up!
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 19:24:01 »
Yes, I have to work on what exactly it is I'm going to say. I generally have a tough time speaking about anything to unknown people. Again I expect to figure it out some more as I go. As for recording it later, I don't want to do that for the blind half of the game. Speaking of which, without spoilers, can anyone compare the size of the demo with the rest of the game for me? So I can kind of estimate how many videos this might be.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 19:54:09 »
I'd say the demo contains about 3/7 of the game. One full version star only contains one planet instead of two which would suggest a 6/13 relationship, but Dragon Noir is a quite complicated planet, and I think Sekkei is so small that it cancels the "lack" of two planets in Ninian out and goes back to 3/7 :)

Oh, and Dragon Noir is the name of a tea blend that Yann brought to Sweden on his trip here.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 19:56:13 by Nifflas »

Offline TechnoGeek

• My new project, Notroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 23:02:07 »
Oh, and Dragon Noir is the name of a tea blend that Yann brought to Sweden on his trip here.

I was wondering what the name came from...[/offtopic]
Spoiler: Technogeek's Signature (click to show/hide)

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:02:59 »
I'm done with the demo planets. I'm putting the LP off for a bit until I can get a sound card. My current interrogated one will not let me record stereo mix, meaning I can't record what is playing on the computer. I have to use a male-to-male cable and feed it into my mic in, then record my voice on a separate computer. This is silly and a huge work around. I'm hoping the cheapest card the local store has will be enough to at least let me do this.

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 23:44:44 »
Strange, my recording of Ashoun has triggered Youtube's 'Third party copyright material' notice. "Content owner:  Sony Music Entertainment Type:  Audio content". I submitted a dispute, of course.

(video is private atm, I don't make my videos public until the HQ version is available)

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 00:12:42 »
...Sony claimed copyright to content in your video?  SONY?

What could they possibly be claiming is their material?
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 00:15:26 »
I'm thinking they have a system that automatically scans uploads for certain songs and flags them, and my video was misidentified.

Edit- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPHRza3FG8Q
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 00:19:46 by PizzaBoy »

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 04:14:33 »
What the green unicorn droppings is going on... my Part 1 and Part 16 both also just triggered the SAME COPYRIGHT. And now I get internal server errors when I try to file the dispute.