Cross Country Knytting

• 11 Replies
Cross Country Knytting
« on: June 25, 2010, 16:56:12 »
I may have invented a new sport. If you load up Gaia and save on the edge of the world on the far, far left, you are set to go. Start a timer and make your way straight to the right end of the world, when you can't go any further. I like to stop at the tree at the top of the cliff to the right of the tower near the guy who is sad he can't doublejump, but you can actually go further. Anyway, the point of the game is to do a full horizontal speedrun of Gaia and better your time.
         You eventually end up noticing that the umbrella slows you down in the air or on land, and that you're better off running if you don't get stuck on any obstacles or have to climb any hills. The strategy gets really intricate after a while.
     I'm just curious what you guys at the forum think of this, and how good of a time more seasoned ks players could get.

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Country Knytting
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:47:12 »
Could people race in real time on knytt stories online?
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 13:05:09 »
Could people race in real time on knytt stories online?

If that's possible, I would love to do it with the great race C)p
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 00:26:43 »
I couldn't sleep and I had a save in Sunshire, so I figured I might do a full run of Gaia from one end of the world to another. Not exactly what you're suggesting, but eh, at least something. The starting (rightmost tip of Sunshire) and ending points (Edge of the World, Aurealis) are attached. My time was 8 minutes 29 seconds 80 milliseconds.

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:35:27 »
Okay, so I tried this with the same start and ending point. I haven't played Gaia in ages so I had to figure out where to go first. I managed to do it in 7 minutes and 59 seconds  :D. I took a wrong turn at one point so I'd say it's definitely possible to do this faster.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 13:09:55 »
Okay, so I tried this with the same start and ending point. I haven't played Gaia in ages so I had to figure out where to go first. I managed to do it in 7 minutes and 59 seconds  :D. I took a wrong turn at one point so I'd say it's definitely possible to do this faster.

Argh! I guess all that gliding I did with the umbrella wasn't really a timesaver I thought it was  O_o

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 23:28:57 »
Well the 7:59 beats all my records by a few seconds. If you start at the left and work to the right, it's significantly faster because you can skip the underground portion and glide clear across the sea. Of course, my accuracy on this one jump is only about 20%, so the whole run depends on it.
actually, I want to try speedruns of other levels this large. Does anyone know any levels that are as open and traversable as gaia?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:31:08 by Mr. Macduggan »

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 14:16:16 »
You could try The Mysterious Grotto by Pumpkinbot if you like. A part from anything else it's a very well-made level for a Environmental/Playground. Gaia is probably the best suited for this sort of thing, though, because there are many different routes and tricks you could use, whereas in this level you can only go in one direction once you know it, really.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 02:12:41 »
I just tried it again, and found a much more elegant racetrack in Gaia. If you start at the guy who says "this is it, the edge", go right to the underwater tube, and follow it all the way back to the other side of it. then RETURN to the left side of the world, all the way to the small island with the pine trees on it.  It is a much longer route, but the design of it means that you start and end at roughly the same place, making it really replayable.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 22:43:03 »
Perhaps you may want to try my level Outer Reaches? If I recall correctly, it has pretty a more or less straight path from one end to the other, give or take a few vertical screens. It's also Environmental, and the areas where you can die a watery/lava-y death are out of the way.

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 00:22:58 »
Downloading.
I also tried out the great race, and it would be perfect... if anyone had the MOTIVATION to finish the race first...
if you dont know what I'm talking about, play the great race yourself. Its cool. :D