Think the community's state is /worth discussing/?

• 188 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: The community...
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2011, 05:39:14 »
The first two questions are already answered in the temp forum descriptions: these forums will be removed once the archive is ready. So, no locking and such.
Actually, locking is the only possible solution. The threads in these forums can't be deleted, because they don't only contain useful discussions, but also links to levels on file sharing sites.

BTW, just to make sure: the archive needs a way to distinguish preview and finished levels and a way to update the level, while keeping the same link.

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
Re: Think the community's state is /worth discussing/?
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2011, 16:57:31 »
Come for the games, stay for the forums.

Except there is no forum to stay in because all the boards are Nifflas-related and unless you count Forum Games there isn't any off-topic discussion. I left because I was getting bored of Nifflas' games; I came back just to check on how the forum was doing. The only things that caught my eye were this thread and my Minecraft thread which has somehow garnered 20 pages.

I know that this has been discussed but I'll ask it again: Why is there no general topic board? I've been on other communities. This community in comparison is far quieter and far nicer than many other forums. I'm sure we can handle off-topic discussion. But why are the mods so adamant against this? If the problem is moderation, then the solution is to appoint seasoned members of the community to moderator status, if only in specific boards. If the problem is diversion of activity from Nifflas-related boards to the general chatter section, then this is not the case. If anything, an off-topic section would entice users to stay after getting bored of the Niff's games. Perhaps they might become interested in the games again. I don't see why the admins would be so afraid to try again. But without a place for the community to lounge back and just be a community, people are going to start leaving, and that's where we are right now.

I know I have no room to say this as I have gone on hiatus so many times, but I love this community, the people in it, and I'd really like to spark some life into this place again.

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2011, 18:27:56 »
adding on to shawanchu's comment, I first came when I found out about WaDF. Then Knytt stories came out and many new members came. But now, there are a lot less activity. This is because people came and made levels for ks, talked about ks, and found out about other nifflas' games. But because of how games tend to get boring over time, people started to leave. I think trying again for an offtopic board would be a good idea for keeping people sticking around for longer. And no, I don't mean a debate board, although that would be better than nothing.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2011, 02:46:47 »
But without a place for the community to lounge back and just be a community
I'm pretty sure this forum is supposed to be about Nifflas' games, not the community.

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2011, 04:07:08 »
Well a forum is made up of its community so its arguably more important than its content. He also addressed it here:
If the problem is diversion of activity from Nifflas-related boards to the general chatter section, then this is not the case. If anything, an off-topic section would entice users to stay after getting bored of the Niff's games.

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2011, 04:27:02 »
I'm pretty sure this forum is supposed to be about Nifflas' games, not the community.
And I'm pretty sure this forum is completely about Gang Garrison. Oh, what's this? An off-topic section in a video-game related forum? Preposterous! Surely a forum of this nature cannot support a general chatter section!

[mod]Drop the sarcastic tone please.[/mod]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:49:10 by SiamJai »

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2011, 08:46:47 »
If the problem is diversion of activity from Nifflas-related boards to the general chatter section, then this is not the case. If anything, an off-topic section would entice users to stay after getting bored of the Niff's games. Perhaps they might become interested in the games again.

I wish it would work that way, but we've had this 'perhaps' assumption before, and we all saw where it lead in the past. Referencing another forum doesn't help either, because this place is not about "keeping up with the Joneses", especially if they have the exact same problem we had. Out of their 16 boards, the last 3 off-topic boards attract 40%(!) of their total forum activity. And that's not even the worst ratio I've seen.

Well a forum is made up of its community so its arguably more important than its content.

The priorities have been explained on the previous page.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:12:19 by SiamJai »

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2011, 15:06:30 »
Personally, I think that Knytt Stories, while big, isn't as big as some people make it out to be (as far as forum activities go). Combined, the 4 subforums making up of it count to around 14/15 thousand posts. The forum games section has around 10,000; combined, that's half the posts, total. Only half. I don't go on the archive, though, so I don't know how much activity goes on there...
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2011, 18:04:40 »
Actually, I'm not adamantly against an off-topic subforum as a general idea. it's just that it requires a certain common mindset and maturity among the userbase to make it worthwhile...which has not been proven to exist in abundance in this special community. Excuse the condescendence, but I really don't know what kind of "communtiy-vital" talk you want to hold in an offtopic board anyways...but maybe that's just me.
and really, yeah sure, we could make an offtopic board to prove that we aren't "afraid", and would probably again find the proof that it really does not work with these folks of this forum. but then again, we're the staff, so we make decisions, not court orders that have to have ultimate proof and justification and convince every single affected person.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2011, 18:36:11 »
In my view, the mostly Nifflas related forums gives everyone a chance to fit in to the crowd; no one is going to look that stupid with this common link. Also, the biggest subforum is the one that is obviously not Nifflas related. Finally,
...all the boards are Nifflas-related and unless you count Forum Games there isn't any off-topic discussion.
the "Other Free Games" board isn't Nifflas related.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 19:06:29 by jetio4 »
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2011, 18:38:17 »
I'd first think about a board for general games discussion. It's very good to have a forum for free games list, but it's very very weird not to have a forum where commercial games can be discussed.

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2011, 18:41:20 »
I'd first think about a board for general games discussion. It's very good to have a forum for free games list, but it's very very weird not to have a forum where commercial games can be discussed.
The point of not having that forum is because it'd be advertising. At least, that's what the people who came with that conclusion thought. In my honest opinion, this is the same; you're advertising the maker of the games, which might make them money. For an example, look at Nifflas. In a different forum with this same "Other Free Games" board, someone might put up Knytt, WaDF, or Knytt Stories, as they are free. People will look at them, and then possible buy NightSky or Saira, and thus that counts as advertising for Nifflas.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2011, 18:50:48 »
And I'm pretty sure this forum is completely about Gang Garrison. Oh, what's this? An off-topic section in a video-game related forum? Preposterous! Surely a forum of this nature cannot support a general chatter section!
It is not about whether or not the forum can "support" a general discussion section.  The point is that general discussion is not desired by the administration.  Whether it would be detrimental to the rest of the forum is largely irrelevant at the moment.

Also, the non-Nifflas-related discussion that's occuring right now is split into four groups: people whining about the forum or its members, people asking for help with something, "show and tell" (dev. showcase and free games), and forum games.  You say that you have something to say that won't fit in those forums, so maybe you can tell us what it is.

And holy crap, sarcasm is against the rules?

Offline jetio4

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2011, 19:09:02 »
Also, the non-Nifflas-related discussion that's occuring right now is split into four groups: people whining about the forum or its members, people asking for help with something, "show and tell" (dev. showcase and free games), and forum games.  You say that you have something to say that won't fit in those forums, so maybe you can tell us what it is.
Maybe an introduction forum, where you can talk about yourself, and greet new members. Makes the new members feel more like part of the community. Actually, that's all I can think about atm. :\
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 19:23:27 by jetio4 »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2011, 19:18:13 »
People already post introductions in this forum, and those all get locked.