Where goes the last savepoint?

• 7 Replies
Where goes the last savepoint?
« on: March 07, 2010, 01:27:54 »
Like supposing you put a boss at the end of the level. Possibly one with multiple phases. Would you personally put the final savepoint after the penultimate phase or at the very end? If you do the former, anyone coming back to his or her saveslot will beat the final phase of the boss again. If you have a savepoint after the last challenge or boss, then when someone goes back to a save, they can go straight to the ending. What do you think?
Lurk more.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Re: Where goes the last savepoint?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 02:43:16 »
I'd say the very end would probably be better, but it really doesn't matter.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:11:49 »
Put a save at the end accompanied by a shift or warp (with appropriate flags) to the beginning or a stage selector, perhaps?!
o__  o

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:19:30 »
Put a save at the end accompanied by a shift or warp (with appropriate flags) to the beginning or a stage selector, perhaps?!
Now there's an idea!
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 12:33:43 »
I certainly would put a savespot before the boss comes. Someone could have had a hard time getting through the level and gets to the boss. The boss defeats him. Should he do the entire level (or last section) again before reaching the boss? It will certainly be a negative point if the boss is proven to be hard, because then the latest part of the level becomes irritating due to doing it over and over again.

However, putting a save after the boss is also nice. So why don't you do both?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 15:54:33 »
LPChip, I'm not trying to sound insulting here, but it seems that almost every time you answer a question, you answer a question different from the one that was asked.

The question asked has nothing to do with save points during the boss.  It's whether there should be a save point after the boss or no save point after the boss.  (And it's implied there's nothing to kill the player after the boss.)
At least one save point during the boss is shown to exist, but it really has nothing to do with the question.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 16:05:50 »
Sorry... I guess that happens if you're too busy.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 16:58:41 »
The question asked has nothing to do with save points during the boss.  It's whether there should be a save point after the boss or no save point after the boss.  (And it's implied there's nothing to kill the player after the boss.)
..and I only used the boss as an example. :P
Lurk more.