Does this level exist?

• 29 Replies
Does this level exist?
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:59:57 »
I've been around these forums for a while now, but I never took the time to register.  However, a question came to mind while browsing levels and I just had to ask it. 

Remember the first Knytt?  Of course you do, it's unforgettable, and it holds a certain charm that no Knytt Stories level will ever have. 

My question is: does there exist a remake of the classic Knytt world for Knytt Stories?  By remake, I mean, pretty much a clone of the original, without the ship parts obviously.  Basically, a chance to relive the original Knytt, but as Juni in Knytt Stories.  This would probably be a big project to tackle, considering each and every tile would have to be placed into a tileset, and I doubt it's been done.  However, it doesn't hurt to ask right?

Let me know if it's been done or not. :D

Re: Does this level exist?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:00:35 »
Not to the extent of my knowledge. I believe, however, that the tilesets and music have been packaged somewhere by someone on these forums.
Lurk more.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 17:23:31 »
I was making one (over a year ago), but I realized it was pointless and stopped.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 19:27:48 »
Hmmm.  I think I'd like to give it a shot.  What sorts of permissions would I need in order to attempt it?  Also, anyone know if the tiles have been packaged, or where to find them?  I'll do some forum searches.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 20:00:36 »
Lurk more.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 22:16:21 »
You don't really need any particular permissions, it's a conversion of one of Nifflas' game's map to another of his games.  It's one of those "well maybe I technically would need permission but really how could he possibly be upset about this" situations.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 23:33:13 »
Minmay, even so if I'd made the games, I would like to be asked for permission anyway. Sure I'd also say yes, but its the thought that counts. Besides, that makes Nifflas become aware that there's a conversion on its way that he most likely wants to play too.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 02:40:59 »
I guess I should have added "assuming you post on the forum that you're making this level" to that post.  Because I totally meant that.  Yeah.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:57:17 »
Thanks for everything guys.  I'm going to start working on this soon.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 20:10:17 »
The ship parts are perfectly possible using shifts and flags. You could even have the game end when you collect them all and return to the ship. I'm not sure, but my next KS level MAY be a sort of Knytt-clone, but with a peppering of challenge and puzzles (nothing difficult though).

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 20:12:24 »
The ship parts are perfectly possible using shifts and flags. You could even have the game end when you collect them all and return to the ship. I'm not sure, but my next KS level MAY be a sort of Knytt-clone, but with a peppering of challenge and puzzles (nothing difficult though).
Same with the balls in WaDF. Unfortunately in Knytt there are 13(?) items, but the editor only gives you 10 flags.
Lurk more.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 20:17:27 »
I always thought there were 10 parts, lol. Often, I've wished Nifflas gave us an arbitrary number of flags, such as 50, or 100, but there's probably a good reason why he didn't.

Luckily, there's a way to create switch-type conditions that don't rely on flags, so my levels have the illusion of having a lot more flag conditions, but such conditions are local to an area, and are forgotten when you travel a ways away (which suits the application just fine). This type also requires an entire region of rooms to be copied, and isn't really useful for the 13 objects dilemma, though.

Incidentally, you can also recycle flags.. If you pass through an area that you'll never return to, I'm sure you could re-use the flags in that area for different purposes, though I've never actually tried that. It would require planning and testing.

But I digress.... (yes, I do..)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 20:19:30 by Sendy »

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 20:30:32 »
Incidentally, you can also recycle flags.. If you pass through an area that you'll never return to, I'm sure you could re-use the flags in that area for different purposes, though I've never actually tried that. It would require planning and testing.
True, true. But we are talking about Knytt here.
Lurk more.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 22:50:33 »
Hmmm.  I suppose I could implement 10 of the 13 ship parts?  My original intentions were to just make it a playground level.