[Easy] [Environmental/Challenge] Juni's Great Adventures 1

• 15 Replies

Offline Mirror Sound

• tumblr: mirrorsoundks.tumblr.com ask me stuff. :)
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr
Hello again.
After working on the level for six hours today, I finally got it to 100% done. It's already downloadable at the level archive. It isn't really as long as many of you might've expected, but it's my first level at that. If anyone decides to play the level, please reply on this topic with your feedback. Also, there will probably be three parts of JGA, but I don't plan on starting work on the 2nd part yet so soon. 2nd part in works already.
Thank you for you patience and time.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 18:56:17 by Mirror Sound »
Juni's Great Adventures 2 - to be released December.
Medieval Landscape - Postponed until the release of Juni's Great Adventures 2

mynameisteja.tumblr.com
a friend from school. c: follow her plz?

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: [Easy] [Environmental/Challenge] Juni's Great Adventures 1
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 16:34:55 »
You need to start playtesting your levels. I find it hard to believe that you tested it at all, it just plays really badly. I didn't even finish it because I didn't feel like forcing myself through the level, but here are some stuff that need fixing:
Screen x1000y1001, walk to the left, reach a void screen. You even made a clear path directing the player in that direction, maybe you just forgot about it?
x1002y1001, a lot of tiles that are supposed to be solid are actually on layer 0.

I'm pretty sure that you actually replaced the tilesets in the Data directory instead of the World directory because some stuff here just makes no sense. Look at the screenshot I attached here, is that what that screen with the red key is supposed to look like?

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 18:13:01 »
Mirror Sound, you are gonna want to read this review I left on your level.

Follow this link: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5404.msg57935#msg57935
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 18:56:40 »
This level works better when you replace tileset 8 with some of Immado's furniture tilesets. Except for this big mistake, I think it is not so bad for the first level (I've made many levels like this, until I started working on Many Islands, but I will never publish them). Don't worry Mirror sound, I believe, that your next level will be much better - you just have to study how other levels are done.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 19:08:34 by Polana »

Offline Mirror Sound

• View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 19:57:01 »
1. I DID playtest the level everytime I finished a screen.
2. I'll upload a fixed version. (another one, to be exact)
3. If the things that are supposed to be on layer 3 are on layer 0, it's probably a secret.
4. @Fubaka's review: There are secrets, you just didn't try climbing up the fireplaces once getting the necessary power-ups to reach the tops. (try running the level in the editor to find out where they actually are).

mynameisteja.tumblr.com

Offline Mirror Sound

• View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 20:52:54 »
Fixed version nr. 2 now available at the level archive. All the areas should now looks like they are supposed to, in other words, should look the same on your side on the mirror as on my side of it. :)

mynameisteja.tumblr.com

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 20:55:19 »
3. If the things that are supposed to be on layer 3 are on layer 0, it's probably a secret.
This was my first assumption, but all that did was lead to wallswims (when Juni ends up inside a solid wall).

Offline Mirror Sound

• View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 21:40:24 »
This was my first assumption, but all that did was lead to wallswims (when Juni ends up inside a solid wall).
Did you install the first release, or the fixed version?

mynameisteja.tumblr.com

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 22:41:29 »
Alright, Mirror.  I apologize if my initial reaction was a bit harsh.  I tend to get angry at levels with huge problems like yours had.

I see you fixed the glitchy areas, and they look a lot nicer now.  I also found those secrets you eluded to.

However, the level still has a lot of construction issues.  If you deal with the following appropriately, I will change my review of your level to a more positive one:

-Build/rebuild more areas to eliminate any and all possibilities of reaching void screens or ending up in a wallswim.

==One of my biggest gripes is an area in screen x999 y1000 where you fall through the floor into a wallswim.==

==Additionally, you need to fix the room directly below the last one mentioned so not only can you not climb through the ceiling into the floor of the room above, but you also do not run right into the water on the right side.  Put a ramp there or something.==

==In room x1002 y1001 (where we get the high jump), there still exists a hole in the wall which leads to a wallswim.  You should patch that up or turn it into a proper secret.==

==In the pink mountain area, you need to apply more sky screens so that players do not jump off the tops of mountains into void screens.  The same needs to be done as well for the entrance to the umbrella cave, the area where you start, and the snowy mountain region.==

-Apply blue Detect Target boxes around your secret areas so people with detectors will know that they are secrets.

==This is simply common courtesy.  You can find these tiles in the System category under 27 (for a faint green glow) and 28. (for a strong green glow)==

-Use more ambient sounds in places where appropriate.  (I.e. anywhere outdoors or in caves)

==Here are some suggestions.  For any scene involving a waterfall, use either atmos 15 or 16.  For any scene involving pools of water, use atmos 13 or 14.  For any scene involving a cave that isn't full of water, use atmos 3, 4, 7, or 9.  For any scene involving a clear sunny day, use atmos 6, 10, 11 or 12.  For any scene involving electronics, use atmos 20 or 21.  And so on.==

-Be wary of how certain moving creatures and knytts act.

==On x1002 y998, one of the knytts can be seen walking on thin air.  You typically don't want this to happen.  On x1006y997 upon entering the screen, the rabbits glitch over to the right side of the screen, due to them being trapped in solid tiles.  If you wanted rabbits to run under the mountains, make the bottom tiles in layer 2 or less so they can.==

-Careful how you set up some of those challenges

==In x1000 y 1001, the cave babies on the ceiling are simply placed in a line along the hall.  This might surprise someone the first time, but after that, you can just run past them forward and backward without any resistance whatsoever.  It's kind of pointless.  In x1030 y1003, you set up a bunch of spike blocks and cave shooters to present something more complicated to get past, but it is just a mess.  The spike blocks go all over the place, and we really do not need to be reminded to use the hologram powerup here.  Here's a tip to improve this section, replace the one-block spike blocks with the 4-wide spike bars  (Traps, 1).  Those are much easier to manage and do not go all over the place.  They also allow for more precise challenges.==

Take care of all of those, and you will have a solid first level.  Good luck to you!
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Mirror Sound

• View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 13:20:24 »
Alright, Mirror.  I apologize if my initial reaction was a bit harsh.  I tend to get angry at levels with huge problems like yours had.

I see you fixed the glitchy areas, and they look a lot nicer now.  I also found those secrets you eluded to.

However, the level still has a lot of construction issues.  If you deal with the following appropriately, I will change my review of your level to a more positive one:

-Build/rebuild more areas to eliminate any and all possibilities of reaching void screens or ending up in a wallswim.

==One of my biggest gripes is an area in screen x999 y1000 where you fall through the floor into a wallswim.==

==Additionally, you need to fix the room directly below the last one mentioned so not only can you not climb through the ceiling into the floor of the room above, but you also do not run right into the water on the right side.  Put a ramp there or something.==

==In room x1002 y1001 (where we get the high jump), there still exists a hole in the wall which leads to a wallswim.  You should patch that up or turn it into a proper secret.==

==In the pink mountain area, you need to apply more sky screens so that players do not jump off the tops of mountains into void screens.  The same needs to be done as well for the entrance to the umbrella cave, the area where you start, and the snowy mountain region.==

-Apply blue Detect Target boxes around your secret areas so people with detectors will know that they are secrets.

==This is simply common courtesy.  You can find these tiles in the System category under 27 (for a faint green glow) and 28. (for a strong green glow)==

-Use more ambient sounds in places where appropriate.  (I.e. anywhere outdoors or in caves)

==Here are some suggestions.  For any scene involving a waterfall, use either atmos 15 or 16.  For any scene involving pools of water, use atmos 13 or 14.  For any scene involving a cave that isn't full of water, use atmos 3, 4, 7, or 9.  For any scene involving a clear sunny day, use atmos 6, 10, 11 or 12.  For any scene involving electronics, use atmos 20 or 21.  And so on.==

-Be wary of how certain moving creatures and knytts act.

==On x1002 y998, one of the knytts can be seen walking on thin air.  You typically don't want this to happen.  On x1006y997 upon entering the screen, the rabbits glitch over to the right side of the screen, due to them being trapped in solid tiles.  If you wanted rabbits to run under the mountains, make the bottom tiles in layer 2 or less so they can.==

-Careful how you set up some of those challenges

==In x1000 y 1001, the cave babies on the ceiling are simply placed in a line along the hall.  This might surprise someone the first time, but after that, you can just run past them forward and backward without any resistance whatsoever.  It's kind of pointless.  In x1030 y1003, you set up a bunch of spike blocks and cave shooters to present something more complicated to get past, but it is just a mess.  The spike blocks go all over the place, and we really do not need to be reminded to use the hologram powerup here.  Here's a tip to improve this section, replace the one-block spike blocks with the 4-wide spike bars  (Traps, 1).  Those are much easier to manage and do not go all over the place.  They also allow for more precise challenges.==

Take care of all of those, and you will have a solid first level.  Good luck to you!
Thanks again for all this advice, wich I really appreciate. Working on a third fixed version, but I won't upload it to the level archive. Another thirdparty file hosting site, something like Mediafire, because, if I would upload it to the LA, I would be spamming it (Preview 2, Complete level, Complete level fixed and Complete level fixed version two aligned after eachother).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 14:13:42 by Mirror Sound »

mynameisteja.tumblr.com

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 13:33:51 »
Or you ask the staff if we can remove those levels from the archive that are now redundant. J can do this for you. If interested, reply here with which levels can be removed and I'll ask J to do this.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Mirror Sound

• View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 14:16:59 »
I would like Juni's Great Adventures 1 (Fixed version 2), Juni's Great Adventures 1 FIXED and Juni's Great Adventures 1 COMPLETE LEVEL removed, please. :)

mynameisteja.tumblr.com

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 15:01:17 »
I would like Juni's Great Adventures 1 (Fixed version 2), Juni's Great Adventures 1 FIXED and Juni's Great Adventures 1 COMPLETE LEVEL removed, please. :)

I've passed the question to J.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Mirror Sound

• View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 15:31:32 »
Thank you.  :) Also, I might post a screenie from JGA2 (yes, I've already started working on it (or at least a demo release) on this topic later. Not revealing any plot info, tough.  :P2
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 15:39:57 by Mirror Sound »

mynameisteja.tumblr.com

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 17:48:22 »
Removed these files:
Mirror Sound - Juni's Great Adventures 1 COMPLETE LEVEL .knytt.bin
Mirror Sound - Juni's Great Adventures 1 FIXED.knytt.bin
Mirror Sound - Juni's Great Adventures 1.knytt (Fixed Version 2).knytt.bin

Sounds about right?