[Challenge/Fun...] [Normal] Into the Worm's Lair; a remake my first level

• 9 Replies

Offline Jonolio

• Who ate all the cheese?
    • View Profile
Heya Guys. I first joined Knytt Stories yonks back when I made my first level, Into the Worm's Lair. It was kinda' fun, but a little rubbish, as most first levels are, but someone put it on their Favourite Levels list. It was this factor that helped me to decide to remake it; partly coz' I really liked it and partly coz' I enjoy making Knytt Stories levels, but they never seem to get finished, and this one was already half done...

The level: A cartoony adventure in which Juni gets pulled under the ground by a giant worm that tries to eat her precious carrots. You play Juni as she tries to escape. It's a little bit funny, with a lonely mad scientist and lots of carrots. There is a secret ending, but only if you can find all the keys...

Some notes for the dedicated reader: Remember to look out for the code which is hidden throughout the level. There are nine to find, and they're hidden pretty obviously, so it's no biggy, so long as you remember to do it!
I made most of it not realising that some of the challenges are a lot easier with the hologram and the double-jump, notably the room after the room that you're taken to after the maze, the waterfally bit to get the double jump and the laser section (it'll make sense when you play it....).

In summary: I hope that it makes you laugh and gives you a sense of achievement after playing.

Thanks, Jon. A
For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten son, so that whoever should believe in Him would not perish, but have everlasting life.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
You should include a download link!

Offline Jonolio

• View Profile
Ha! Lol... That's a spendid idea... Anyways, it's on Knytt Levels as 'Into the Worm's Lair' by Jonolio, with a little worm as the icon. Last time I went on, it was at the top. :)

Edit: Well, oh, this is a bit more embarrassing... I just noticed that the words 'Download Link' in the previous post were actually a download link to my level. Thanks Sergiocornaga!! I'm reminded of someone's signiature way back: 'Due to the nature of what we do, sometimes the simple things elude us...'  :^^:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:00:16 by Jonolio »
For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten son, so that whoever should believe in Him would not perish, but have everlasting life.

Offline Jonolio

• View Profile
Ha! Well I suppose that's fair enough, but I kinda' hoped that with the whacking 'Take Note' and obviousness of the symbols that that wouldn't have to be necessary. Any comments on the story or tileset? Or the challenges?

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
Story is good and simple but
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
tileset and challenges is good, though not very original. Nice level nevertheless.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Very nice :)
Spoiler: bugs (click to show/hide)
Salmoneous,
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Jonolio

• View Profile
@ GreyFace:  C)p Yay! You found the worm! That's appreciated very much. Also, thanks for the feedback, I'll take those into consideration. I will upload the fixed level sometime, as I think that although the bugs do not affect the story/level too much, they do tarnish the overall effect of cohesiveness. Perhaps I'll do it sometime soon.

@ Salmoneous: I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It was only meant to be a quick level, with the aim of some moderately challenging challenges and a quirky story. And about the worm, my friend beta'd it for me awhile back, and said the very same thing. He wanted a boss fight. Unfortunately, I am aware that the level editor does not easily lend itself to 'boss fights' - unless you are very clever and have a lot of time to muck around with shifts. I have seen some amazing ones around, but I'm happy with it as it is. Perhaps you could use your imagination to take the story further?  ;)

Offline sphere

• View Profile
This is fun, but the bugs are not fixed? And I have played the old version, I felt the Intro and ending is more cute, your new handmade pictures are ok, just a little... XD the doctor's parts are weird, though, it make the gameplay a bit incoherent.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:24:54 by sphere »

Offline Bally

• View Profile
Have to agree, the level was fun, although, you can escape without the umbrella really.

Other than that, great level and art  :^^: