[Challenge][Normal] Maintenance

• 5 Replies

Offline Cosine

• func_dog
    • View Profile
[Challenge][Normal] Maintenance
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:39:08 »
Juni finds herself on a strange underwater facility. It appears to be abandoned. You can see your home island, not too far away. However, it is gray, devoid of life. There isn't a single living on it. So, she decides to explore the facility, looking for a way home, or a way to bring back life to her planet.

Download: www.knyttlevels.com

See attachments for screenies.
game developer, musician, level designer

Re: [Challenge][Normal] Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 04:03:10 »
:/ Weird.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:17:47 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:14:46 »
This level is meh. I really like the metal framework-y tilesets, but most of the level feels like a mediocre rehash of AUA. With the tilesets, this could be dark and atmospheric, but the total lack of ambiance and music stops this. (I recall exactly one screen with ambiance- one of the outdoors/framework screens has wind ambiance, which starts and stops when you enter and exit the screen, respectively. This is very jarring. Then, there's music at the end, but it starts so suddenly, and after such an extended period of no music, that it also is jarring.)

The level design is okay, but I did not like having to backtrack all the way to the starting point to progress. The plot is generic (half of all levels seem to involve Juni turning off a machine), but the level itself does nothing to convey the plot. You find a mysterious button in an empty room labelled "press to activate", and pressing it fixes everything.
good bye

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 16:49:57 »
The underwater parts look like Dark Sea... a little too much so. The framework parts look pretty good, though.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline Cosine

• func_dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 20:03:09 »
The underwater parts look like Dark Sea... a little too much so. The framework parts look pretty good, though.
I've never played Dark Sea. :P

I guess I should, although I'm deterred by the very hard rating.
game developer, musician, level designer

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 22:02:33 »
It's worth it.
Lurk more.